Jack Monroe #125 Tweeted it, completed it, deleted it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s been so good to read through the Kickstarter shitshow again and I think it’s a good introduction for all new Frauen and Herren (and old ones who’ve become inured to Jack’s continuing evil).

I reckon most of us can empathise with the feeling of being overwhelmed by what we’ve taken on and the desire to make excuses to assuage our own guilt, and I don’t think people would have held it against Jack had she been big enough to admit her mistake.

Instead, that absolute non-apology in which she blames her ineptitude on people who have put money in her pocket “bullying” her is textbook gaslighting. The saddest thing is that she has learnt nothing and is endlessly repeating these behaviours half a decade later.

Must say, I’d really like to know what that £68k got spaffed on. I’m not a publisher so let’s nobody take this as read but 3603 backers raising £68,761 is an average donation of approx £19 per person. I’m going to apologise in advance for my tit maths here: I’m a sociologist mainly so I’ve tried to weave it into a narrative but have also probably wanked up the sums along the way. Nonetheless, it’s a lot of money.

- Let’s hazard a guess that it costs £3 per book to print (I think this is an incredibly high estimate taken from a rudimentary Google search but let’s face it, Jack the compulsive John Lewis shopper is not smart enough to shop around - my web page attached as screenshot). That’s £10,809 for printing.

- Then there’s postage. Again, I’ll be generous and assume it was a medium parcel, 2nd class at £5.20 per unit. That’s £18,735.60 (but we all know she was tight as arseholes and sent it small parcel, hence so many got damaged en route. Again, post office prices attached).

- Let’s assume she got good quality envelopes (screenshot also attached) - approx £1500.

- Paid each illustrator a nominal fee (don’t know how many there are in the book and which aren’t by her but let’s say 10 and she paid them £200 each?) - £2000.

- And I’ll be kind and say the imaginary Victoria did actually exist and got paid another £2k for her troubles. Btw omg is this PRVix who ate the tit for her?! My mind has just made the connection...

- I’m going to assume she was too arrogant to splash out on recipe testers or proof readers.

In total her outlay was £35,044.60 which means that she made over £33,500 for doing absolutely piss all. Around the same time she won £24,000 in her Katie Hopkins case and also got money for various media appearances, columns and for the same, glossier book produced by a publishing house.

So in the space of two years between 2015-17, from grift alone, this demon earned £57,500 + royalties + writing fees + speaking fees etc etc. And here we are on the verge of 2021 with her still wanking on about how SHE RENTS and can’t afford her dream house, while taking cash off those who earn so so much less than her and delivering nothing, NOTHING, in return.

People who steal from the vulnerable used to be considered the lowest of the low yet her Lib Dem sheep are still bleating their effusive praise. Where have we gone wrong???

View attachment 364167View attachment 364168View attachment 364169
i think she also set up Patreon at that time too. And, as others have mentioned, her budget for her book on Kickstarter was £8,000. She received many times more than that.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 43
In a nice clash of threads, the Secret Celebrity Gossip thread was earlier regaling us with the details of how the maverick Tom Cruise [allegedly] buys a fish to take into the gents, stays there for a while, and then leaves, sans said raw fish.
Do you think Tom Cruise’s lawyer reads here too? The face swaps would get pretty confusing!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
From previous posts on the chocolate banana recipe, it is a banana mashed in a mug with a square of dark chocolate added and then microwaved until hot and slimey
takes a lot to make something even drunk!me wouldn't eat, but by god, she's gone and done it :sick:

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Just saw this and it reminded me of Jack's "thank you very Matt much Matt" 😂😂

Eta the Matt Hancock vid, not sure why it's linked both 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 23
i think she also set up Patreon at that time too. And, as others have mentioned, her budget for her book on Kickstarter was £8,000. She received many times more than that.
Oh, and STILL didn't have enough money for postage, asking all backers outside the UK to pay extra

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
It’s been so good to read through the Kickstarter shitshow again and I think it’s a good introduction for all new Frauen and Herren (and old ones who’ve become inured to Jack’s continuing evil).

I reckon most of us can empathise with the feeling of being overwhelmed by what we’ve taken on and the desire to make excuses to assuage our own guilt, and I don’t think people would have held it against Jack had she been big enough to admit her mistake.

Instead, that absolute non-apology in which she blames her ineptitude on people who have put money in her pocket “bullying” her is textbook gaslighting. The saddest thing is that she has learnt nothing and is endlessly repeating these behaviours half a decade later.
This is amazing, but infuriating! Its so useful to have it all laid out like this.

Reactions: 22
The Kickstarter episode reminded me of this Jack pity party era. The most outlandish and ridiculous excuses for just doing (or not doing) your job properly. Over explaining and trying to make people feel guilty. Completed it mate.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
Just saw this and it reminded me of Jack's "thank you very Matt much Matt" 😂😂

Eta the Matt Hancock vid, not sure why it's linked both 🤷‍♀️
Amazing! I can’t decide if it’s even worse than "thank you very Matt much Matt". It’s also a perfect Accidental Partridge, so, again, very like Jack!!

I like the other vid too, it’s Jackie’s tattle lawyer enjoying his indefinite furlough.

🥕ETA I’m LOL-ing my way through the whole twitter thread, it’s comedy gold! There’s a even a Dame Viv one that might explain why JM got a bit confused.....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Oh, and STILL didn't have enough money for postage, asking all backers outside the UK to pay extra
A comment from Jack on Instagram reposted to Kickstarter comments by a backer 4 ish years ago. "You know I invested *my own* money into this book and I have *made a loss*, right? I have literally not paid myself to do this. I have paid admin, artists, illustrators, helpers, kickstarter fees, and still to pay print and postage costs for 4000 books". She then went on to post a comment herself around same time period, ticking off a backer for daring to challenge her on Kickstarter comments " I have paid, out of this money, for a painter, 10 independent illustrators, 140 recipes worth of ingredients x2 or 3 (imagine buying food for 2000 people and you get the idea...), put aside most of it for printing and postage and paid myself absolutely bugger all for over a years work."

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 65
If you thought you needed money and wanted to make no promises to deliver anything, why not do a gofundme? Not saying they deserved it, but I was pretty sure kickstarter was created with the purpose of giving something back to the people who donated.

I don't know why I'm trying to logic my way out of a Monroe choice. I originally found them through Venetia La Manna (then Falconer)'s podcast and thought oh a vegan cook would be nice to follow. Turns out that was a load of tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
A comment from Jack on Instagram reposted to Kickstarter comments by a backer 4 ish years ago. "You know I invested *my own* money into this book and I have *made a loss*, right? I have literally not paid myself to do this. I have paid admin, artists, illustrators, helpers, kickstarter fees, and still to pay print and postage costs for 4000 books". She then went on to post a comment herself around same time period, ticking off a backer for daring to challenge her on Kickstarter comments " I have paid, out of this money, for a painter, 10 independent illustrators, 140 recipes worth of ingredients x2 or 3 (imagine buying food for 2000 people and you get the idea...), put aside most of it for printing and postage and paid myself absolutely bugger all for over a years work."
How the duck does she still have a career with this behavior??? It’s absolutely mortifying!!!

The anger really does well up when you see this manipulation on display. Though she has none, she should be ashamed.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 54
In a nice clash of threads, the Secret Celebrity Gossip thread was earlier regaling us with the details of how the maverick Tom Cruise [allegedly] buys a fish to take into the gents, stays there for a while, and then leaves, sans said raw fish.
Wait what is this & how did we move past it so quickly?

You wouldn’t think you could flush a big fish like that would you, tho I dread to think the state it must be in before he disposes of it 😱

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
If you thought you needed money and wanted to make no promises to deliver anything, why not do a gofundme? Not saying they deserved it, but I was pretty sure kickstarter was created with the purpose of giving something back to the people who donated.
I have a crafty friend who has done a couple of them. She very clearly documents what she's up to, how the project is going, when things are being posted etc. She name checks all her suppliers and helpers too. In other words, the exact opposite of Jack.

It's madness how she got away with scamming £68000 off people. How more wasn't made of it, I'll never know, because it seems to have been hushed up a lot.

Reactions: 47
86120E3A-0CB6-4004-947E-65898D2BFE5A.jpeg

Is this the work of potential covid super spreader Louisa Compton who stole Jack Monroe’s Brexit tins? The same Jack Monroe who claims to have long covid while scampering around looking for fish and chips

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
I think people are scared of being sued, the victim of a pile on, and most importantly are generally people who bought the book to help because she is poor/ disabled/ etc, so don’t want to make a fuss. I think she knows this.

I also think she’s not saving properly for tax so is in a mess with that. Didn’t she mention getting her return in late on the day she came to Tattle? I’m not a tax expert but people I know who are self employed/ etc bang on about personal and corporation tax.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I have a crafty friend who has done a couple of them. She very clearly documents what she's up to, how the project is going, when things are being posted etc. She name checks all her suppliers and helpers too. In other words, the exact opposite of Jack.

It's madness how she got away with scamming £68000 off people. How more wasn't made of it, I'll never know, because it seems to have been hushed up a lot.
It seems to be a combo of:

* lingering goodwill from Katie Hopkins (the early Jack threads are full of "I'll always have a soft spot for her because she took down KH")
* a general sense that she "does good" for the poor in some indefinable fashion
* fear of being accused of ableism/homophobia/transphobia if you call her out. #BeKind is a bleeping scam
* she's not important enough for people to pay attention to
* early in her career, she was criticised by Richard Littlejohn, so there's an ongoing sense that anyone who criticises her is Team Daily Mail

I also genuinely think that a lot of her fans are quite thick (source: they like her recipes). EG look at this from her Facebook - a 3£ discount if you buy 2 books, one for a food bank. Seems all warm and fuzzy and nice, but it only takes a moment of thinking to realise that she's lining her pockets all the same...

20201230_085503.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
Pah to being scared of 🔺.

We all know we are only here for the pastisitisosisyogo made with the bucatini she ordered from Ocado found washed up on Southend beach fresh from Italian shores.

(In my Butatini googling I found a scary factoid. It is mainly used for buttery sauces with cheese, eggs and anchovies. I rest my case.)

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.