Jack Monroe #117 Exit through the grift slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just watched the dkl episode with the lasagne and I am very confused by the white sauce. Apologies if this has been covered before but how was it going to thicken in the oven? I am not a great cook so have I missed something?

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Sorry to jump in (on a mini-grunka)! I love Nigella the person (she's charming and has had such a lot of sorrow in her life), and went through a phase of buying all her books, only to realise that :-

Nearly every dish I tried had syrup or sweet wine or sugar or summink that made it sweet - not to my taste. And some of the recipes are kinda basic. I don't use her books anymore except for the Christmas one, I'm a Slater fan these days.
I agree with you on this, I thing Nigella has a VERY sweet tooth, which I don’t, so I could never really take to her food (apart from a couple of recipes). And I did like her very early shows, but lately she’s become a bit of a parody of herself and the shows also seem a bit gloomy and downbeat to me.

Reactions: 13
Hello Frau, long time no see. First time I've been privvy to our Jackie threads in real time for many months.
So much going on, and I've not had much space in my brain for her tit.
But I see from the recaps (thanks @Pocahontas et Al) that little has changed, she's still full of slop.
A couple of questions though, why did I see a picture of her looking like a 12 year old boy?
Why was she smirking in the sleepy migraine photo?
And why oh why oh why is she now writing for the express?
The mind boggles

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Just watched the dkl episode with the lasagne and I am very confused by the white sauce. Apologies if this has been covered before but how was it going to thicken in the oven? I am not a great cook so have I missed something?
It's still on @kachoochoo 's to do list, I believe. I'd put my bets on it won't ever thicken.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Absolutely, totally agree with everything you said. I grew up white working class in Essex and I can barely think of any of my peers who went to church as kids. I can think of one family, maybe? It was unusual, for sure.

Fast forward 30 years and I now live in a much more middle class town. I find it startling when I come across churchy people in the school playground. I just assume they’re all atheist heathens like me 😄 So yes, when it comes to white people and the church, social class makes a huuuge difference.

Great point about churches and food banks too. I’m pretty sure they run all of the food banks local to me. Didn’t it take Jack a year to get a good bank referral?
I knew three white families with children my age who were heavily into the church, all of them very, very middle class. None of my friends went. I knew of a few working class older people who went to church, so I don't think it counts for the elderly, it was very much the norm in their day.

I never heard that she claimed it took her a year! I didn't think the whole poverty epoch even lasted a year!

Reactions: 9
It wasn’t going to thicken. Not at all.

You could see, as she spooned it on and then put lasagne filling on top, it absorbed into the filling straight away, because it was so watery. There was no way it would magically turn into a distinct layer of sauce in the oven.

I knew three white families with children my age who were heavily into the church, all of them very, very middle class. None of my friends went. I knew of a few working class older people who went to church, so I don't think it counts for the elderly, it was very much the norm in their day.

I never heard that she claimed it took her a year! I didn't think the whole poverty epoch even lasted a year!
I might be misremembering the “year” thing but I’m sure one of Jack’s numerous poverty accounts, linked on the thread this week (maybe the open letter to Edwina Currie?!) said a year. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: 21
CONFESSION: I have finally brought myself to watch the horse spunk lasagne clip for the first time ever. I was here back in March, I just couldn’t handle the cringe until now.

The way she said to Matt “I’ll just put the rest of the mushrooms in, now you’ve STOPPED TALKING” 😳

The way she started flapping, pointing and laughing to people off-camera, as she was annoyed that Matt was talking to the other guest and not asking her any questions 😳😳

Then, when the camera was back on her and she was assembling the last layer of lasagne... she said nothing. Utter silence and dead air until Matt realised he’d have to keep the chatter going 😳😳😳

Finally, the shaking hands, panicked eyes and frantic running back and forth for utensils. My heart was pounding with second hand anxiety. At once point she even appeared to be putting things in the sink, because she didn’t know what else to do.
Jack is just unbelievably self-obsessed. It’s off the scale. This is why she’ll never be able to work as part of a team. She wants all the attention on her at all times - never mind her co-presenter or guests. It’s clear from the way she talked to him that she saw Matt as a side show whereas she was the Main Event.
Not only that but her grandiosity means she is utterly convinced that she is brilliant, knows the answer to everything and is never wrong. All her recipes are completely brilliant and don’t even need testing! She never shows even a flicker of self-doubt when she spouts out all that incorrect advice (about mince, sourdough etc).
No wonder they found her impossible to work with.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
The way she was flapping about in that kitchen on DKL didn't really spell 'professional food person'.

Compared with for example Nadia form Bake Off who now has a tv and book career from her first appearance on tv in 2015, it is strange she doesn't seem to have progressed over the years.
Did anyone see the first ep of Nadija’s new series this week (where she travels in the USA)? She’s so natural and easy around people. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to have a series like this presented by Jack.

Reactions: 25
No DKL retrospective would be complete without her bursting onto the live cooking scene with this. 25 minutes onwards - look away at 30 minutes. 😱

That was EXCRUCIATING omfg. And when she's trying to get his attention by tapping her fingers on the counter to distract him from talking to the other guest. I gasped.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Good grief! I always knew Jack was a cow but when did the squiggle army make her a sacred cow?
It wouldn’t surprise me if a fair few of the squiggle army were Jack sock accounts. Especially as she spends every waking moment on Twitter.

I had no idea that Jack was remotely religious, let alone full on evangelical. I mean, I’ve never heard her talk about her faith or going to church in all the years I’ve followed her online. I’m flabbergasted... and slightly suspicious tbh.
She did have “worship” down as one of her permitted activities on her “bubble” notes which she posted on Twitter. But she never mentions it otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
That was EXCRUCIATING omfg. And when she's trying to get his attention by tapping her fingers on the counter to distract him from talking to the other guest. I gasped.
she moves around like scolded child, painful to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
It wouldn’t surprise me if a fair few of the squiggle army were Jack sock accounts. Especially as she spends every waking moment on Twitter.

What else is filling those numerous arch lever files if not 'Profile Name' and 'Password'? We have only scratched the surface on the Narc enabler accounts.

1607904630021.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
I just saw Ruby’s Great British season and saw that she interviewed Jack. I know they are both from southend, but are they actually friends? Ruby seems pretty astute to me but I’m not super familiar with her. It didn’t look to me like Ruby follows Jack on Instagram.

Not sure why she she called Matt a prick.
This is Ruby’s tweet and Matt’s reply. It really wasn’t clear why she was *quite* so cross.
And I think there may have been a falling out at some point between Ruby and Jack. I think they stopped following each other.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
I think it may have been touched upon once or twice

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Horsepower?

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 00.35.35.png

• Haha
The few religious going families I have met over the years have been into the very evangelical ‘family friendly’ churches, where it’s a whole lifestyle that takes over your social life with groups rehearsals. A guy I worked with years ago was in a Christian rock band that would definitely move in the circles of Jack’s church. No church would let a single mum go hungry.

AND ANOTHER THING.... why is she simultaneously boasting of having used a local wool shop for years and knitting one square....

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
The few religious going families I have met over the years have been into the very evangelical ‘family friendly’ churches, where it’s a whole lifestyle that takes over your social life with groups rehearsals. A guy I worked with years ago was in a Christian rock band that would definitely move in the circles of Jack’s church. No church would let a single mum go hungry.

AND ANOTHER THING.... why is she simultaneously boasting of having used a local wool shop for years and knitting one square....
That is the conundrum that is Jack! Nothing makes sense.

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.