Jack Monroe #117 Exit through the grift slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do people still cook with lard? Also we get UC so I guess in Jackie's eyes we are poor... But we've never used it???

Reactions: 23
I’m going to be mean - id face tune that nose if it was mine 😱

I have never watched it and never will.
I think it is a perfectly nice nose, and it suits her face for better than the face turned ones. I don't think it is fair to take the piss out of her genetically determined features

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Herb rant incoming!! Why does she insist on putting dried mixed herbs into everything?! All the food will end up tasting of.....dried mixed herbs. I have just got back from my weekly Aldi shop and fresh cut herbs are around 40p per packet. I use fresh herbs in cooking but my mum comes from the generation that seems to think herbs are something to be scared of although saying this her roasts are amazing even without them.
I’m no Yorkshireman but dried mixed herbs in Yorkshire pud batter is unnecessary surely

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
Ffs. Lard??? Why the duck lard, why the duck boiled onions, why the duck tinned mandarins????!!!

Im really sorry, she is taking the piss out of us, and angry or person who actually makes that.

Why not slow cook your onions in oil and a small amount of butter (for flavour) until they're caramelised and delicious. Most people don't buy lard, so offset the price of buying it against a block of butter.

Jack, a pack of butter is about £1.48, just buy a bloody pack, come on its Christmas
I wondered about the boiled onions!

Reactions: 14
She looks a little tired as we all do this year, she also looks her age because she hasn't been allowed to 'shop her face to oblivion. Would be perfectly normal/nice pics if we weren't all used to her looking like the artful dodger these days 🙄. The difference is a little shocking!

Reactions: 39
I would pay good money I earned from my UC to see a rich right winger read that, see cook it in lard. I imagine they dont even know that exists anymore

Why is she so obsessed with lard tho it reminds me of old chip pans of days gone by

My wonderful grandmother used to cook her roast potatoes in lard....so says my Mum. I can remember her putting some lard in the potato pan, however she also used to save the fat from meat cooked that week and add that as well.

Her potatoes were to die for but I think it was the saved fat which gave the potatoes their gorgeous flavour. We used to fight for the crispy bits at the bottom of the serving bowl

I don't do roast potatoes that often but use beef dripping.....or goose fat at Xmas. Get great flavour and very crispy outsides.

I'd love to know if anyone will follow that Xmas dinner she's published because it sounds like tit.

Reactions: 22
Does anyone do a starter for Xmas dinner?

We never have and it always seemed a middle class thing to me.

Even now I'm in my 50s I don't do a starter.....I prefer to keep room for roast potatoes and turkey.

My husband's family.....very middle class always have a starter. ....and do less roast potatoes. I know which I prefer 😁

......and I also know where Jack fits in ....she's middle class dahling.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
You can save the onion water for tomorrow's leftovers soup? She has a serves four joint for six, one potato each and minimal veg. There could very well be leftovers of the horrible gravy, dry nut stuffing and bread pudding but I wouldn't want to sully a soup with them

Reactions: 17
I suppose Jack's growing up anecdotes are like every one else's - amusing and meaningful to the family - desparately dull and a bit mystifying to others.
Oh dear that Christmas menu. It manages to combine quite depressing yet overly complicated. Her stuffing looks like a stolid odd coloured brick.
I simply cannot imagine one person following that menu. Christmas really is a time of tradition - I don't know about others but usually we talk about doing something different but end up doing the same meal because it is so comforting.

Reactions: 26
Does anyone do a starter for Xmas dinner?

We never have and it always seemed a middle class thing to me.

Even now I'm in my 50s I don't do a starter.....I prefer to keep room for roast potatoes and turkey.

My husband's family.....very middle class always have a starter. ....and do less roast potatoes. I know which I prefer 😁

......and I also know where Jack fits in ....she's middle class dahling.
We have a starter, always have done and I come from a mining and mill working family so deffo working class.

Reactions: 21
Just out of idle curiousity, if the Express article isn't marked as an advertorial for Del Monte, is that grounds for a complaint to ASA?

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.