Jack Monroe #115 I can’t work out the timeline

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Re Glastonbury (love it - last went in 2013, the year before Jack's opus in The Guardian)...yes there are amazing food stalls all over the site so you can get anything you want. It's one of the best things about it that you can pick up anything you fancy (as long as you can manage to locate the stall again) :).

What struck me is that having had presumably a free entry to the festival, she was packing up and leaving on Saturday in the day. What a bloody waste - she says she had SB with her, it could have made an amazing experience for him. Why didn't they stay until the end and go back on Monday after it finished.

I don't have children but there are always loads there and it's v family oriented (there's a family camping field etc) as well as for adult fun.

What a wasted opportunity...although that seems to be a general trend doesn't it in the life of Jack Monroe.
BIB: that's probably why - she doesn't seem to give a duck about enriching his life in any way.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
She always does self catering apartments when she travels too. Wasn't she bragging about cooking for guests in her and a Mrs J's hotel room once using just a kettle or something? Or did I dream that given the number of us who have now experienced JM in dream form?
I remember that too

The Glastonbury thing is peak cringe. Plus she would have been camping in the performers area which I'm led to believe is fantastic (my friend knew the woman in charge of that, and tried to get me to go with her, but working in a school I couldn't get time off)

Not caught up since yesterday yet but this little beauty arrived on my doorstep today.
Firstly I found myself considering curling up like a cat (a Jackism comment there) on the sofa all day.
Then I opened it......it’s gorgeous but hell Jack copies some of Nigella’s writing styles.

”This dish serves 2, heartily” or “blissfully“ or “ecstatically”

Doesn’t Jack do this at times? If so I now know where she copies it from.

Anyway.....the book is a delight and it’s the first Nigella book I’ve ever had (got it free with a subscription to Good Food Magazine). She writes with such warmth about food and clearly loves it and the cooking of it.

1D96450B-A4D9-4B2A-9318-89187EBBFDB0.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 33
She left Edinburgh early as well didn't she? I wonder if it's one of her things?
I don't believe we ever found out the real reason for the Edinburgh trip. It was odd as tuppence. She wanted everyone to think it was a total spur of the moment trip on a whim and she was never going home because she's *craAaAzZy* and just a little pixie going where the wind blows her but in reality she probably had a reason to be there and always planned to go home a couple of days later. Sigh

Reactions: 37
Ive seen people here say any negative mention of her on Mums Net is deleted , anyone know why that is ?

Reactions: 13
Ive seen people here say any negative mention of her on Mums Net is deleted , anyone know why that is ?
I recall from an earlier thread that Justine from mumsnet’s husband is Louisa’s boss. Have I imagined that? I might have.

• Wow
  • Heart
I recall from an earlier thread that Justine from mumsnet’s husband is Louisa’s boss. Have I imagined that? I might have.
He may be, I thought he was a journalist or editor at The Guardian but he may have changed jobs.
The last few threads regarding Jack on MN seem to have been left. I think MN are sensitive to the risks of legal action following all the ruckus which took place over Gina Ford years ago. These days they seem to delete libellous ) or potentially libellous) comments but leave the actual thread unless it becomes overwhelmingly negative when it’s deleted as “not in the spirit of MN”.

That said I‘ve not been on MN much recently.

Inspired by the post above I decided to 'ave a butchers at JM's micro accounts and I'm a bit puzzled by them not being an accounts type. They're for last year but to my untrained eye she seems to owe more than she makes. Is this right or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Sorry this has been done to death & it’s the least fun bit of JM but she’s likely taken too many dividends this year (greedy goblin!) thus not leaving enough in her company acct to meet tax liabilities due, causing a deficit. She’ll have to pay it out of her personal bank account as a directors loan, which is likely why the purse string tightening is a thing. It’s a really bad position to be in and HMRC will start taking projected liabilities in advance as a result.

In this era of muted chaos the best we have to look forward to is a new face or body 😫

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
He may be, I thought he was a journalist or editor at The Guardian but he may have changed jobs.
The last few threads regarding Jack on MN seem to have been left. I think MN are sensitive to the risks of legal action following all the ruckus which took place over Gina Ford years ago. These days they seem to delete libellous ) or potentially libellous) comments but leave the actual thread unless it becomes overwhelmingly negative when it’s deleted as “not in the spirit of MN”.

That said I‘ve not been on MN much recently.
He works on Newsnight, I believe. So not L's current boss but might have worked with her in the past at the BBC.

I found my way over here because the JM threads on MN were not telling me what I wanted to know, which was the goss on where Mrs J had got to!

Reactions: 28
In my noting of those who love food I am watching Jamie Oliver as he “Cooks Christmas.” He’s another one who adores food and his son Buddy is a lovely boy who seems a chip off the old block as it were.

I am now itching to get a salted gammon and prepare it just as he did ....people who love food make you want to prepare and eat the meals they do. I don't’ get that with Jack, she almost seems to be angry with food and it’s got to be the cheapest and nastiest stuff thrown together. There’s no love there for the food, the flavours of the final result apart from when she’s “devouring it like a hyena from the pan” which seems to suggest someone starving and desperate rather than someone enjoying the textures and flavours.

Maybe I am overthinking it though.

Reactions: 48
He works on Newsnight, I believe. So not L's current boss but might have worked with her in the past at the BBC.

I found my way over here because the JM threads on MN were not telling me what I wanted to know, which was the goss on where Mrs J had got to!

He was previously at The Guardian and then Newsnight Editor, but he is now at Channel 4 as Director of Programmes. LC has only so much social capital to use up before having to ask herself some very serious questions, and maybe make some choices between her personal and professional life.

In this era of muted chaos the best we have to look forward to is a new face or body 😫

Now that her media career is in the process of being liquidated, I think the next big event to look forward to is the inevitable chaos and drama if there is a house move next year. At least she will be able to keep the removal guys entertained with a tune while they haul the Cotswold Company collection out.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
He was previously at The Guardian and then Newsnight Editor, but he is now at Channel 4 as Director of Programmes. LC has only so much social capital to use up before having to ask herself some very serious questions, and maybe make some choices between her personal and professional life.

Now that her media career is in the process of being liquidated, I think the next big event to look forward to is the inevitable chaos and drama if there is a house move next year. At least she will be able to keep the removal guys entertained with a tune while they haul the Cotswold Company collection out.

Aaahh is that why she had so much work from the guardian?

do you think now lockdown has finished she is no longer there?

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Imagine looking forward to seeing some friends who are visiting your city, looking forward to a catch up and a nice lunch somewhere, but having to spend your time in their hotel room, eating some bizarre concoction cooked in... a kettle? I have no idea how Jack made pasta in a hotel room.

Also... whyyyyyy? Talk about suck the joy out of what could have been a nice day.

I still can't get over how little she did on that break or her general lack of interest in actually seeing any of Edinburgh. Half the fun of a city break is just wandering around and seeing what you can find. It's her holiday but eating from chains, taking pictures of soon to be binned slop and making up stories about feeding rough sleepers strikes me as a terrible waste.
You forgot “take a Nutribullet with you, for all the cooking and photography you’ll need to do, but you won’t be able to carry it home and so make a big show of giving it away on Twitter”

Mumsnet mods delete any threads critical of basically anyone in the public eye, mainly because so many Mumsnetters are prissy Head Girl types who hit the Report button at the merest hint of bitching. Especially considering how a lot of them just think of Jack as being a poor vulnerable single mother who isn’t deserving of being called out for anything. If you even accuse her of having mental health issues you’ll get deleted.

• Haha
I don't believe we ever found out the real reason for the Edinburgh trip. It was odd as tuppence. She wanted everyone to think it was a total spur of the moment trip on a whim and she was never going home because she's *craAaAzZy* and just a little pixie going where the wind blows her but in reality she probably had a reason to be there and always planned to go home a couple of days later. Sigh
I'm pretty sure one of the Frauen speculated that it was a pre planned trip with Louisa, and it had been booked ages in advance so Jack decided to go anyway. Hadn't they both stayed there before, so she was just letting L know what she was missing by not going?

And as an aside on the hotel kitchen meal, more Enid Blyton speak - 'Rustle Up' 🙄 hate that expression, nearly as bad as 'Tuck In'. Sorry, she just pushes my pettiness buttons.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.