Jack Monroe #110 Hands up, who likes me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm writing some Jockney Rhyming slang in my coloured pens:. "I'd better Peach Curry,"!". (Hurry).

• Haha
Reactions: 39
It was back in red day green day. My pal lost 3 stones and I swear all she ate was boil in the bag beef and mashed tattles.

I was stuck with that and cheese ravioli. Back in the days I was veggie and not vegan.

It was grim. Took me about ten months to lose ten pounds. Not worth the crap I ate at that point

And in those days they used to announce your weight to the whole class and whether you had gained or lost.
I've done sw for many years off and on, they say how much you've lost, but I've never known your weight be announced, maybe your leader was evil

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Slimming world do a crustless quiche or they did back in the day. Consisted of egg. Cottage cheese and probably broccoli. A weird abomination that you fling in a bowl and bake in the oven.

Just googled. They still do.
must confess I love a crustless quiche 😂 usually put in bacon cheese and spring onions

Reactions: 6
I proper lol'd at that horror, genuinely laughed "like a hyena" even. She is absolutely trolling - the random ingredients, the soft soft cheap white bread, the eating from the pan like a wild animal.

Next up: paella with salmon paste, white chocolate and polenta instead of rice, it's all the same! Everyone begged me for more but I devoured it myself, down on the floor with my head buried in the pan, grunting, wailing and clawing like a bobcat being rogered.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 64
I'm wandering about alternately muttering "mussels. With pears?" and "traaaazers? On a bird"

She's broken me. The rest of my life will be like this with only rinsed hoops to sustain me.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Hi all.
Since some of you were interested in the nutrition of Jack's slop, I put the tin bolognese into cronometer. It is supposed to serve 4 people. I assumed a portion of 75g of un-enriched white spagetti per person, although this amount is not stated in the recipe. I put in tinned tomatoes as there wasn't much data for the chopped ones (they show calories, but not nutrients), and I wasn't sure if she meant some kind of canned product, or chopped fresh ones, so assumed canned due to the name of the recipe. I did 240g of cooked green lentils as this would be the drained weight. I put in the optional red wine. Due to the limitations of the available data, I had to pick an American "stuffing mix" which shows up as having a lot of trans fats, which I don't think is is true with what she would have used in real life.

Anyway, the result is that it's a well-balanced meal with a decent amount of vitamins, minerals, and adequate protein, BUT it is only 421 calories. This may be acceptable for a petite woman or a young child, but it's not for the majority of people. The average woman needs 2000 calories a day, and the average man 2500. I would say this actually serves 3 average women at 561 calories, bearing in mind, snacks, cups of tea etc would make up some amount of the 2000 calories. It might only serve two men or teenagers.

So this is confirmation that her cheap meals aren't as big as they should be, and would there for cost more to make an appropriate amount. To be fair to her she is a petite woman with a then-small child, so maybe her perspective on portion sizes was inaccurate.

This is probably not the best example, as I suspect that she would use less than the recommended 75g of spaghetti per person. Recent recipes involving pasta do suggest 75g, but I don't think she would have done back then. Edit: I also think this is one of her less inedible-looking offerings. So I think this a very fair and generous appraisal of the nutrition of her food.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Right you lovely lot, I'm off to bed. I'll try not to have nightmares about mussels and pears. (I actually thought that was a joke at first until I saw themat picture that I can never un see!)

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I've done sw for many years off and on, they say how much you've lost, but I've never known your weight be announced, maybe your leader was evil
Same I’ve never known anyone to have their weight announced

I love seafood, a nice garlic seafood spaghetti is divine. bleeping pears and mussels is a heinous crime against food and she can duck the duck off if she thinks anyone will believe that it tastes good. She hates food and wants to ruin it for everyone

• Heart
Reactions: 15
It’s just so upsetting! If she simplified her cooking (thinking of Nigel Slater’s meals with only a few ingredients) I really think her food would go further and more to the point, taste better.

I do actually think some of the criticism she gets for her random recipes is a bit harsh because especially early on she was writing for people who got random things and I get that some variety might be nice, especially if you’re looking at your allocation thinking “wtf do I do with that”. HOWEVER no food bank would dish out all that tit so there’s no excuse for it other than being a maverick.

I mean...fair play to her if she enjoyed it but coming from a food writer and not a proud teenager experimenting? I just don’t get it.

(very aware I need to get a life but ARGH! I can’t stop thinking about how bad it is)

• Haha
Reactions: 21
She’s a try hard. She just tries too hard to be quirky and it all goes wrong.

I knew someone like that once. She couldn’t just eat a cheese sandwich. It had to be hearts of palm with a ryvita and some basil.

Really got on your nerves after a while. A smart arse sandwich basically

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I can't believe I've just read the words 'boil in the bag beef'! :oops::sick:
I proper lol'd at that horror, genuinely laughed "like a hyena" even. She is absolutely trolling - the random ingredients, the soft soft cheap white bread, the eating from the pan like a wild animal.

Next up: paella with salmon paste, white chocolate and polenta instead of rice, it's all the same! Everyone begged me for more but I devoured it myself, down on the floor with my head buried in the pan, grunting, wailing and clawing like a bobcat being rogered.
This made me lol. This is it, isn't it - why give a tit about flavour combinations, textures, or just the art of cooking in general? Why not just bung everything in a slow cooker and pulverise it into insipid mush as it all goes down the same hole anyway - save your digestive system a bit of work!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Well after spending months grunkaing and never quite catching up whilst being constantly triggered by the horror show that is Mx Monroe I gave up.

After a few months of no Jackie I’ve come back to see that nothing has changed. She is still an insufferable bleep who bounces from chaos to slop to pile ons on a daily basis.

I am sad that Louisa appears to have gone back and hope that she finds the strength to properly break away soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.