Jack Monroe #11 Look for the bare depressipes, the simple bare depressipes, forget about the tattlers and your wife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has she actually been diagnosed ADHD/ASD because it really bleeping offends me her throwing those terms around if she hasn't.
Not as far as I understand it - which really fucks me off too! She has said different, conflicting, things in different interviews. She said she went to her GP and after a discussion they told her that her problems ‘fit’ with autism and/or ADHD. That does NOT constitute a diagnosis, and she should be seeking a proper one before bandying it about (AKA using it as a get out clause for everything)! My son was told by my GP that he probably wasn’t autistic. A team of educational psychologists, occupational therapists, speech and language experts, and other doctors spent months evaluating him before concluding that he is indeed autistic. A GP absolutely cannot make an autism diagnosis, it has no weight to it whatsoever.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Whenever I hear stories of poverty and destitution I think back to around 10 years ago and a story I read in the news that haunted me to my core.
This might be difficult reading for some so I apologise if I kill the vibe here but this is very real and to me this is the extremes of poverty in the UK.
THIS IS NOT SOME GLORIFIED STORY.

There was a couple in their fifties - she had learning difficulties, he was ex armed forces. They were married and he doted on his wife, taking care of her and protecting her with everything he possibly could.
Having suffered with poor mental health himself he had to leave his previous job and circumstances meant that they were living way below the breadline with so little money even the basics were scarce.
They literally couldn't afford to run the electric in their home and so would make soup on a gas stove with veg donated from the food bank and then store it in plastic bags in their shed to try and keep it cold for future use. They had no fridge. They slept on the floor.
He was so worried that if the authorities stepped in they would be separated, so he refrained from telling anyone and inviting people into their life who could have helped.
They had no children or family to speak of. To say it was desperate would be an understatement and everyday was an immeasurable struggle.
Eventually, seeing no way out, he ended his wife's life and then his. Weeks later they were found laying next to one another in a house with no furniture.

Reading that story absolutely broke my bleeping heart and made me feel sick to my stomach. It was brutal and haunting and so stark and stays with me to this very day.
It wasn't glorified or done for dramatic effect. It wasn't written to sell a book or make money. It was bare facts about a situation that should never have been allowed to happen.
But it did. And I'm sure thee have been countless events similar to this that have happened since that in the last decade.
I'm not writing this to try and belittle Jacks situation from years ago. Far from it. The story I've just told was an extreme one.
But to highlight the people that fall through the gaps in society. The people who don't have a loving family to fall back on or friends. Those who aren't able to turn their misfortunes into a successful blog or book deal. To those for whom a basic job on actual living wage would be like winning the lottery every single day.
For some, and despite their best efforts, life simply doesn't change.
And that to me is truly, truly sad.
Horrific. This country is the bleeping pits. There are so many of these horrid stories being counted under the austerity death count, men dying weighing 5 stone. Families receiving those fit to work letters for people that have already passed away from terminal cancer. & I believe there’s a regular service in Shoreditch church in remembrance of the hundreds of rough sleepers who die every year. That church do a lot of amazing stuff for the community & addiction services tbh.

We can honestly only hope for better representation of poor & marginalised identities in the media. Tbh even a non right wing non racist media would be a nice starting point really wouldn’t it.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Yel

Well this complex tart is a world apart from jack's joyless tinned peaches on frozen pastry.

Jamie's mentioned but tinned peaches haven't been 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 15
For comparison purposes, this in The Times today is interesting. Roasting Tin author Rukmini Iyer’s had sales of £1.8 million for 500,000 copies. Doesn’t say what she’s worth from that but it’s not going to be a paltry amount.

In all of Jack’s many many many interviews I’ve never seen any (even vague) sales figures/worth.. why not I wonder :unsure:
I did buy one of her Roasting Tin books recently. I'll confess I wasn't hugely impressed, I mean, it's fine, and it has a few things in it I will try, but I wasn't massively inspired. I do think the idea is sound, much better than chucking everything in a saucepan on the stove.

On the other hand, Diana Henry's 'From the Oven to the Table', similar premise, but much more in depth, and feels hugely researched and is beautifully written, is an absolute joy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I did buy one of her Roasting Tin books recently. I'll confess I wasn't hugely impressed, I mean, it's fine, and it has a few things in it I will try, but I wasn't massively inspited. I do think the idea is sound, much better than chucking everything in a saucepan on the stove.

On the other hand, Diana Henry's 'From the Oven to the Table', similar premise, but much more in depth, and feels hugely researched and is beautifully written, is an absolute joy.
I love Diana Henry so much. She’s been doing great dishes on Instagram during lockdown.

From Oven to Table is on my wish list, but I have Simple and love it, also How To Eat A Peach is pure perfection, more escapism than practical for me, and the cover is actually fuzzy like a peach. So joyful.

Reactions: 12
I love Diana Henry so much. She’s been doing great dishes on Instagram during lockdown.

From Oven to Table is on my wish list, but I have Simple and love it, also How To Eat A Peach is pure perfection, more escapism than practical for me, but the cover is actually fuzzy like a peach. So joyful.
I have never heard of Diana Henry :( I will have a look though thanks for sharing x

Reactions: 6

From Oven to Table is on my wish list, but I have Simple and love it, also How To Eat A Peach is pure perfection, more escapism than practical for me, but the cover is actually fuzzy like a peach. So joyful.
Hasn't she? And she responded to one of my comments the other day <fangirls>

I don't have 'How To Eat A Peach', but I love the idea of a fuzzy cover. That is just delightful, such a pleasing idea.

Reactions: 6
Good God! That's even more passive aggressive than her inverted smiley face. Well, do you want the suffering poor to starve to death? Well, DO YOU???

• Haha
Reactions: 4
New thread title:
Tattlers in court coz of all our ‘lies’, tweets being deleted but we have our spies….

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Fake news! Some of these flags were definitely not made during the programme.

Reactions: 5
Thread - lots of us here having a titter, while JM threatens us with legal action on twitter.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

From Oven to Table is on my wish list, but I have Simple and love it, also How To Eat A Peach is pure perfection, more escapism than practical for me, and the cover is actually fuzzy like a peach. So joyful.
Me too, she’s fab! Love the woman’s blouse in the Nadiya’s piece

Reactions: 3
Oooh that paste nadiya has made looks good, might make some of that for the back of the fridge lol

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.