Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

linzilou

Hi ladies!

Havnt commented on this thread before but it’s given me loads of laughs, much needed as I am a key worker atm.

Have quite a bit of legal knowledge so thought I could offer some reassurance here-

Libel isn’t criminal in the uk, it’s civil. She would have to bring about a private prosecution. The defendant (tattle) is always innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of proof is on her and her legal team. You guys don’t have to prove anything, unless you wanted to counter sue.... but let’s not go there 😂.

She can’t sue for general gossip, it will have to be for something specific- ie damaged reputation and a subsequent loss of earnings.

So she would have to prove that tattle and only tattle brought about her problems. This is where it would get really sticky because there’s too many other things that contribute to her reputation like the JO stuff.
Also there is the issue of what loss of earning she means? As she is a self employed freelancer.

If the BBC have renewed DK and not involved her, she will again have to prove that it was due to tattle. For all we know it could have been in the plans all along that they would have a rolling co-presenter.

There will also be no way to prove that any complaints that were submitted to the BBC (if any) were connected to tattle. I don’t know where the BBC even stand in revealing if any of the public contacted them to complain. I’m sure most are anonymous.

She was also worried about her income before DK came along.

For something to be truly libelous it has to be stated as if it were fact and it has to be somewhat believable by a “reasonable person”.
The pure name of tattle shows it’s a gossip site and therefor everything is opinion, not fact. And anything said is only believable to other members of tattle, it’s not printed in the newspapers etc.

This was where katie Hopkins lost because she is a journalist with a lot of followers and made statements about JM as if they were fact.

There is also the issue of “fair comment” aka a critics defense- if something seems reasonable to say or believe based on....oh I don’t know deleted tweets that that’s not libel.

Suing maliciously just because she doesn’t like tattle or being gossiped about also won’t work.

I’m presuming she hasn’t already spoken to a legal team about this but she needs to read up on the defamation act which came about in about 2015 or so, that legislation was brought in partly to stop petty libel cases getting as far as court.

If she is getting direct threats, or her coworkers are then that’s harassment and it’s criminal. She needs to speak to the police, not a solicitor.

Sorry for the info over load! And don’t worry about anything x

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 92

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
Bi Polar tends to be the condition that I see casually thrown around. Not just on here, but general social media also 🙄.

Regarding the psychiatrist/therapist thing, on the NHS it generally takes a long while before you get to see a (singular) psychiatrist. Obviously if there were a need for you to be sectioned this would be different and would push things along. With the individuals I have worked with in mental health services over many years, some who have had frequent spells in hospital settings, they have never had any professional on speed dial. If there was an emergency of sorts we would need to contact the crisis team. And my experience of them both personally and professionally is not a good one I have to say. I guess things could be different if you paid privately? But certainly access to a psychiatrist is difficult, you could contact their secretary and request an urgent review/review brought forward perhaps. But they are so stretched across a huge caseload of patients that speed dial, er, no! I'm guessing it's probably a throwaway comment that she made, or a private arrangement perhaps.
I went private as all I could get was crisis admissions. So we paid an excruciating amount of money to have me treated. I was lucky, in that, by the time my private treatment had finished I had moved up the list on the NHS. It worked for me, as I was in the place for treatment. But I’ve been messed about constantly. Resources are woefully under staffed and over subscribed. As someone who is supposedly a MH campaigner I find her flippant comment about all she has frustrating. Same with the whole ‘I’m mad, certifiably mad, got two shrinks to tell me, I’m mad, I’m mad meee’. It’s actually really insulting.

Also, I’m sorry if I was snappy. I do get overly sensitive re BPD. It seems to get used as a slur. I do recognise shades of my behaviours in her. The flip flopping. The low sense of self and changing personality. The need for validation and assurance.

I work really hard to keep that in check. With any MH issue there is a bit of personal responsibility in it. Learn your triggers as best you can. Find a routine that helps you and have a plan to keep you safe. It’s not very exciting to be regimented with a routine and sometimes it makes me feel like a child. But you know what, it’s stops me flipping and slamming my car into a tree in a whim. Helps stop me spending money I don’t have on birdhouses and what ever shiny thing grabs my attention Stops me looking for things with people who aren’t my husband. Only I can control that. And it’s a really sobering and hard realisation to come to. I have friends from group therapy who like the badge their illness gives them. They don’t have to get better because then they have to contribute.

Lockdown is killing me and so many others with MH issues. Our day to day safe routine has gone to shit. I’m regularly disassociated and thinking I’m dead or in a coma. I look at my kid and it’s extremely upsetting to look at your own child and think she’s not real.

We’re all struggling. And I’m sure JM is too. I really feel for her and this page is holding a mirror up to her. It can be hard to see and ever harder to admit. I hope she accepts help and support and I hope she begins to take responsibility for herself. ADHD or BPD or anything else may make you more likely to lash out on twitter etc. But it is not an excuse. You can stop yourself. My BPD makes me want to shave my head and self harm. My hairs now in line with my bra strap and I haven’t cut in 7 months. An illness is not an excuse!

Wow that went on. Well done if you read it. Get good to get it off my chest.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 59

GrunkaLunka

VIP Member
Almost everything discussed on these threads has been gossip about articles in the public domain, television and radio appearances or tweets from Jack Monroe herself.
There is usually a link or a screenshot to illustrate whatever is being discussed.

It can't be easy to be confronted with screenshots of things you've said and done which are regrettable, but there's nothing libellous about it fortunately. We are well within our rights to gather up any of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of public postings and articles she's made, and discuss them. I wonder whether part of her fury is that we have screenshots of her tweet deletes and have stopped her being able to rewrite that particular bit of history.

Her claim that colleagues have been harassed is utterly bizarre. The only colleagues I'm aware of (Matt, Shiv, the dishy Doc, Nadiya) have been praised highly here.
Unfortunately it looks like it's just another lie to garner sympathy and drum up outrage. There's been no evidence, and she doesn't name anyone. If anyone has been harassed away from Tattle, why on Earth would she blame us?

Side note, Jamie Oliver was harassed and a sort of campaign launched by Jack Monroe herself on Twitter when she felt entitled to his job. She praised the harassers for landing her the BBC slot. We have screenshots for that.

As far as I'm aware, no one here has done anything outside of what essentially amounts to a Google search of her name. It's not like we're a bunch of reporters contacting her family to try and get a scoop. She keeps mentioning the address thing, and trying to make it sound sinister when she knows damn well that the original post was referring to finding out whether she rented the shitty bungalow, which (although nosey and the original poster had apologised several times) isn't in the slightest bit sinister.

I complained to the BBC regarding the fact that they were making a self declared immunocompromised employee travel into work during a global pandemic. There was nothing malicious in the complaint, and I stand by it. The BBC have a responsibility to protect their employees, and to model best practices. I also sent a comment (not complaint) to the BBC regarding the lack of handwashing on Daily Kitchen Live and was pleased to hear that this was then improved.

It makes me really sad that there are people here who are worrying and feeling anxious about the threats Jack is making now.

I do not believe for one second that there is anything here which could be taken to court, but would stand by every word I've said here. Shame Jack the Tweet deleter couldn't say the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 58

Saturn.

Chatty Member
Love the new title @Harrybosch - loving the impending legal battle over copyright even more. There is very little that @PennyLoafer doesn't know about stealing intellectual property. :cool:

Look for the bare depressipes
The joyless bare depressipes
Forget about your capers and your spice!
I mean the bare depressipes
Yes, Jack Monroe's dour recipes
That aren't a real necessity of life
Wherever she argues
Wherever she moans
She has to go back to her shitty home
Matt Tebbutt's hooting with sheer glee
At being Jack-free on TV
If you don't care for the lemon bantz
Well aren't you just a fancy pants?
But if you're feeling blue
The bare depressipes of life
Will come to you
They'll come to you!

© @PennyLoafer April 27th 2020 @ 5.33pm

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Hello 👋 I've been lurking here since the Philip Schofield drama but my partner is a legal professional and we were discussing Jacks legal action threats last night and I thought it may interest someone here.

If you don't want to read this all I'll summarise it as Jack is talking crap to try to silence people.

Chatting on a forum and giving your opinions on a public figure is not liable and this is what gossip forums amount to. People are allowed to have opinions on celebrities. Any judge would take a very dim view of a celebrity that has released tens of thousands of public posts and wants to silence people that have thoughts on them. It wouldn't make it past the first hurdle.

If someone was spreading lies about Jack from insider knowledge that are 100% untrue and damaged her reputation she could threaten the website operator. I've not seen this happen here so I don't want to worry anyone but it's interesting. The website operator is protected by the The Defamation Operators of Websites Regulations 2013. So if someone was here saying somthing like Jack is guilty of fraud and claiming to know insider information she could ask a solicitor to contact the website operator (I'm not saying Jack is committing fraud it's an example). Then the website operator once informed of these comments would have 48 hours to either remove or if they wanted the comments to stay the user that posted them could have them remain if they wanted to by giving the website operator their contact details. This is not a legal requirement to comply with but the website would loose the guaranteed legal protection if they didn't comply. Then if the website operator believed these contact details to be accurate the comments would stay and be passed to Jacks solicitor who would have to take it up with the user. But this is only if the user agreed for their details to be shared and wanted the comments to remain. Then her solicitor could bring action against a user that could be successful if it can be proved the statement is untrue and has damaged her. Posts on a gossip forum are highly unlikely to be seen as anything more than that. Users have anonymity and the law is designed to stop silly libel cases. Again I've not seen any potential liable posts here it's just an example, but even if there were tattle and users have a significant amount of protection. It seems Jack is just trying to be a bully on twitter and it's noteworthly how tattle admin have asked her to report any posts to them and she's refused to. Tattle is not a publisher, every comment posted here is not approved by tattle so the onus is on Jack to report comments to tattle which she appears to have refused to do.

It amounts to Jack Monroe Vs the People over free speech on a celebrity. Celebrities are not a protected group that are beyond commentary, it all comes with the job. It's interesting to think about it but legally she doesn't have a leg to stand on. If she had of instructed solicitors she wouldn't have been spouting off publicly about doing so.

• Heart
Reactions: 53

MarmiteExtract

VIP Member
“Your honour, when you read out the title of thread #11, we’d appreciate it if you would sing it to the correct tune, please.”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

Raker

VIP Member
Seriously, you people are awful.
Scum of the earth.

What with your (real) recipe advice, seed sharing and planting advice, legal advice, court fashion advice, sending good wishes, acknowledging and empathising with each other (and celebs on Twitter) on physical and mental struggles, current and previous.

What. A. Fecking. Cesspit.

I’m ashamed to post here.

You deserve everything the courts throw* at you.

——————

* And I hope that everything is dripping in rinsed bean juice when the throwing starts

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48

HarderFaster

VIP Member
Ok so I just worked up the courage to have a look on Twitter and I know I've posted about this on a previous thread but I'm shocked at the number of replies referring to us as some variant of pathetic women. "Sad little housefraus" was a standout favourite. It's bizarre to me that someone so supposedly interested in social justice and also a lesbian could both display and encourage such flagrant misogyny. It leaves a bitter (jif lemon) taste in the mouth.

Even if every single person on this forum was a stay at home mother, would it make our opinions somehow less valid? And in the course of my engagement here I've seen posts by doctors, nurses, lawyers, academics and many other high flying types. But having an opinion outside of an arselicking somehow negates all of that.

TW [suicide]: was also interested to note that she uses the phrase "on the brink of suicidal" which, to me, comes across as somewhat hyperbolic.

‘Look for the...depress pipes?’

‘errr, it’s pronounced depress-ipees your honour. the Jungle Book...’

‘ah yes’
I am literally crying with laughter.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
Can I just say something re: someone persuading her to get help? Please can we not cast blame on her loved ones (not directing that at anyone on here - just a general comment).

For all we know they may be trying very hard to do just that behind the scenes. Unfortunately, it's impossible to make an adult get help unless they actually want to be helped. I'll stop there before I go into an unwarranted/unwanted rant about the state of mental health services in the UK!

• Heart
Reactions: 43

BeautifulTrauma

VIP Member
I’m going to hold my hand up 🙋‍♀️

I was ONE of the people to complain to the BBC in regards to Jack.

I submitted a complaint the day there was a girl who asked an innocuous question about Daily Kitchen and was jumped on when Jack tweeted a sarcastic reply and then her followers followed suit. I can’t remember the tweet exactly but it was something along the lines of why show a segment if the presenters are going to rubbish the idea, it was aimed at Jack and Matt and the Twitter follower felt the full force of her rabid dogs when Jack replied.

Feeling like Jack knew exactly what she was doing, and was actively seeking out anything that could be construed as negative without even her tagged in it I complained to the BBC that a presenter who is unable to handle any criticism and representing the show in a negative way isn’t the right person. Also, I was scared for the Tweeter as she said after hundreds of awful replies that she was DM’d with death threats for a fairy observatory comments.
The next day (after the complaint was submitted), Jack issued a half arsed apology.

I always wondered if it was because of my complaint that happened but we’ll never know.

I forget the persons name on Twitter from it all, but it really was horrific, so before she starts screaming bullying, she wants to take a look at all the screenshots I sent the BBC after that incident.

Reactions: 42

Excuse Me Laydeh!

Just catching up on last nights events and WTF! Lets just be clear here..
You don't wrote a letter of apology when you claim to have done nothing wrong.
You don't delete tweets from the public domain when you claim to have done nothing wrong.
You don't encourage your followers to attack people on social media and then suddenly ask them to stop because you've got lawyers involved....WHEN YOU CLAIM TO HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG!
Because Jack, you have lied, you have been abusive and you have attacked people. Good luck explaining that to a judge.
It might wash with your twitter sheep but not in a court of law.
Jesus she's like a fucking child!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Bellybutton lint

VIP Member
I actually had a flash forward to us tattlers walking into court and then trying to decipher who's who based on our user names. I have a feeling we'd all be in for some shocks! :ROFLMAO:
Can imagine a judge calling out our names. Bellybutton Lint, step to the front. Excuse Me Laydeh please stand. Harderfaster, errmm...please rise.

• Haha
Reactions: 41

BeautifulTrauma

VIP Member
Phew!

I’ve just about caught up with everything, I was only out for four hours 🙄

Anyway, in my OPINION your honour, I think it could be the case that Jack has something else going on - probably the news that DK is coming back and she hasn’t been asked back, or that the BBC have had complaints about her, and that kind of thing especially with the current hyper emotional state is going to set off a breakdown. And it’s really sad to see.

If Jack realised that she is famous, she’s going to have critics and not everyone will like her or her cooking - it’s the first step to being this new person she could be. Staying away from Tattle (it’s for joe-public not for minor celebs to come and see what’s being said) is what she needs to do.

The contradictions just keep ebbing and flowing with her, from on top of the world to 12 hours later ‘nearly suicidal for weeks’. Note how she used that Tattle were ‘harassing my friends and colleagues for weeks’. The emotive language used is kicking her followers into action and a sympathy pile on and now they are out for blood. She knows what she’s doing, and she’s very clever with this social media stuff. She saw herself win the KH case by deleting tweets and thinks she’s indestructible now and it’s proving time and time again she isn’t. I really hope she can come offline and find some inner peace, but I feel universal praise and Twitter is her crutch right now rather than alcohol.

I stand by all my comments, I think it’s disgusting someone plays on illnesses other people suffer quite badly with in order to obtain sympathy from the public. But that doesn’t mean I wish her harm, I just want her to stop the compulsive lying and prove us all wrong.

• Heart

BeautifulTrauma

VIP Member
The thing is, does Mrs Hinch come on here? Do the Geordie Shore lot? Does Gemma Collins?

This site is here for people to talk about minor celebrities, the problem is that she can’t stay away from the site and is torturing herself. Jack, quite simply this site isn’t for you, and you need to accept not everyone will like you and by being in the public eye people will question things in your past that don’t add up.

You need to stop coming to tattle. You’re your own worst enemy.

• Wow

Yel

Chatty Member
Oh there she goes mentioning Hopkins again.

So all those Paypal and Patreon donations are going to instruct a lawyer.

If she really wants the thread shut down, stop being a dick on twitter and we'll have nothing to talk about here.

There's no right as a celebrity to only have positive opinions.

• Haha
Reactions: 40