Jack Monroe #109 Jack Monroe’s network bandwidth is low

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Btw, Patreon pays out monthly. No need to invoice. Click of a button or work of a moment, as some may say.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Can a kind frau point me to the part (page no.) where Jack doesn't like our Bingo? I missed that part in a half arsed Grunk. Thanks
Keeping up with Jack is a full time job o_O

Reactions: 14
Ok, Lord knows why I am aware of this stuff, it's not my job, but these days there are pretty strict rules about invoice payment for companies registered in the UK over a certain size. Partly to protect small suppliers and partly because slow payment of invoices can be seen as an attempt to massage profit/loss figures for a particular reporting period, which I believe (IANAA or L) is a very dodgy practice, possibly illegal. So, invoice payment needs to be reported on every reporting period and will also be part of any financial audit.

Unilever, to take one example, is an international company, but appears to trade in the UK with a UK Ltd subsidiary company. Unilever UK Ltd. It's accounts are filed at Companies House and I've only skim read them, but pretty certain they are trading at a level that would make them eligible under the reporting rules:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00334527/filing-history - report here for the forensically minded among you.

The rules for reporting and payment are here:

They are complicated, but essentially it's very unlikely that Unilever have standard payment terms longer than 90 days and they will be paying undisputed invoices within that time period. I would hazard a guess that it's more like 60 days these days, for various accounting reasons, and that most invoices are paid with alacrity because averages of payment times are taken under the reporting rules, so the more you pay quickly, the more time you get over disputed invoices or tricky cases.

I would imagine, for a smallish (to them) invoice of £10k (to pick a random sum of money), would be paid quickly and without fuss. However, it's worth noting that the countdown only starts once an invoice has been submitted formally, so if there's a considerable delay in payment it's reasonable to assume that one cause could be that the supplier failed to submit an invoice for work done in a timely fashion.

Thus concludes both the most boring post of the day and your early(ish) morning accountancy briefing. Provided by NO SORT OF ACCOUNTANT AT ALL. I am just accountant-adjacent.

TL,DR - There are rules that big companies have to adhere too. Casual late payment of invoices just doesn't happen anymore. Once more, I am not an accountant.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Omg, erm, someone I know kicked off this investigation.
There are so many of these going around just now but I saw a huge fuss a couple of months back when someone was saying they needed cash to get off the streets and out of a tent and then they posted pics of their new flat that had been lifted straight from an estate agents online page.

There’s also another guy just now who has grifted a lot of cash but unfortunately he’s also highly abusive when people don’t give. Actually that’s an understatement. He has multiple twitter accounts and he basically hounds people on them. Every so often he will do a poor me story.

I’m poor and I have a son and don’t see him and basically he relies on people seeing his story for the first time and taking it at face value.

I know of one guy who conned thousands when he pretended to be a starving woman. Made the press but not a penny paid back

It’s rife on political twitter, loads of people have the begging bowl out and really do take advantage of others good nature.

There’s one blogger who a few years ago was in a really tight spot financially and no longer is but still takes money from people because he gives off the impression he’s poor. (Sounds very familiar). He doesn’t have Jacks twitter followers but he has enough and he’s also created an aura around himself. I do so much for poor people (tosh).

He calls himself a journalist. He is basically a blogger and he’s done nothing for anyone else in the same situation but he dines out on the I do so much for poor people rubbish people queue up to give him dosh.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 39
I know there’s a trend of freelancers being messed around and not paid but I highly doubt she’s gone unpaid by Hellman’s this long.
There’s a general code of practise that companies like that adhere to. Invoices might be paid in 90 days, but exceptions are made to small companies or individuals where the value of that payment means there could be severe consequences for them if it’s delayed and disrupts the cashflow
If she was genuinely unpaid 6 months on she would be able to start charging interest for every day she went unpaid. And if she called them up and said without this payment I can’t eat properly, something would be done

I don’t want to say anything more specific due to 🔺but there’s no way she’s not been paid for that gig yet, unless potentially there’s part of the contract she’s not delivered on yet, and even then Hellman’s could and would part pay her.
maybe she hasn’t been paid because they were So chaotic she was in breach of contract?

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Did she comment on the bingo numbers? I think I missed it.
Not directly that I can see but her weekend hissy fit about being trolled coincided with Jack Bingo and the squiggles uprising hadn't started at that point. As she reads her threads here or rather "mates" keep up appraised of the contents it seems reasonable enough to assume that Bingo was not to her liking.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Not directly that I can see but her weekend hissy fit about being trolled coincided with Jack Bingo and the squiggles uprising hadn't started at that point. As she reads her threads here or rather "mates" keep up appraised of the contents it seems reasonable enough to assume that Bingo was not to her liking.
i wonder when she stopped paying her lawyer to read these threads (lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 46
The company I work for is a big corporation that you will have heard of 🔺. They are notoriously bad for waiting as long as possible to pay freelancers. I outsource some work to freelancers, but I am not involved with contracts and payment, so it is really embarrassing for me when they have to go chasing around several different departments in order to get paid months after doing the work. The bigger the company, the worse they treat people in my experience.

It's very probably that Jack didn't submit her invoices on time and I can't see her doing the leg work to chase up missing payments. That's what her admin should be doing.

Reactions: 30
One of the grifters, sorry bloggers I was talking about earlier is a huge fan of Jack Monroe and currently has his medical conditions listed after his name on Twitter just like she does.

Someone I know was going to do an expose on him in fact two people were but it didn’t happen in the end. Shame as I would personally love to know what they know about him.

Very like Jack. Deliberately vague about how much cash he has. Every so often a sob story will come out. He basically asks people to pay his bills. The last time was because he had missed a medical appointment at the DWP and they had cut his benefit in half and out came the PayPal begging. He basically asks people to support his work which is blogging. He’s basically at the stage now where he expects his followers to pay for a shortfall in his monthly income.

I can guarantee you he will be rattling the PayPal jar before Christmas. He has kids and he will be asking for cash to pay for their Christmas presents no doubt. He has created this aura around him just like Jack ‘you do so much for poor people’

Bullshit. He doesn’t.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
I agree with a PP that someone with an Agent as large as JM has would be paid via their agent regardless of invoice. Also her agent would be using their not inconsiderate force to get the payment from the company.
It’s more of that random boomer poverty persona. She seems to think it’s still the 80s.
Anyway she could have used her royalty check last week a bit more wisely if she was that broke she isn’t

Reactions: 31
The company I work for is a big corporation that you will have heard of 🔺. They are notoriously bad for waiting as long as possible to pay freelancers. I outsource some work to freelancers, but I am not involved with contracts and payment, so it is really embarrassing for me when they have to go chasing around several different departments in order to get paid months after doing the work. The bigger the company, the worse they treat people in my experience.

It's very probably that Jack didn't submit her invoices on time and I can't see her doing the leg work to chase up missing payments. That's what her admin should be doing.
I used to work for a company whose secret freelancer policy was 'only pay the screamers'

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
I've just been on a twitter grunka and came across this from 2017. Oh, imagine the movie!!! Imagine how much more fantasy could be packed into the sequel if it included the past 3 years' shenanigans.

Who would play the lead? Jack, of course, because she is probably a RADA trained Shakespearean actor too - night classes during her firefighter period.
1606210161936.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 84
I've just been on a twitter grunka and came across this from 2017. Oh, imagine the movie!!! Imagine how much more fantasy could be packed into the sequel if it included the past 3 years' shenanigans.

Who would play the lead? Jack, of course, because she is probably a RADA trained Shakespearean actor too - night classes during her firefighter period.
View attachment 322099
There’s obviously a full script to write but already I have the ending in my head, where the picture fades and these words appear “Needless to say, ~I~ had the last laugh”.

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.