Jack Monroe #104 Are you familiar with my tip jar?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On Kirsty’s point - obvs agree with her completely. It’s really reminiscent of the whole influencer problem, a lot of women (and women because it’s always targeted at us!) don’t really realise how much of what they’re seeing is ad content, the mechanism isn’t v clear especially when compared to traditional marketing (tv ads, billboards, etc). The ASA’s regulations have gone some way to fixing that, but there’s still SO much work to be done in that sphere.

This is sort of a new wave? This new thing that has come to be about paying creatives for their time, it’s a lovely idea and wholly valid in the realm of working for exposure & endless unpaid internships in creative fields, does it make sense for the established media personality however...? Kirsty said how it’s not really fair when the person already has a huge profile and I do agree, also v interesting point on it being through PayPal so the back channels.

The problem is people don’t know just how much info is out there that they can equip themselves with. People act like we’re creepy for going on companies house beta, but this is a publicly available source of info? And it shows you she’s very bleeping well off? Likewise her Patreon sub count, even taking the lower estimate of this she’s on a fair whack? But then I think of most the people I know & wonder if they’d ever have the time or inclination to do this research and the answer is... no, sadly not, even though we’re “digital natives” what hope would an older member of my family have at disentangling all of this?! There should be safeguards put in place, it feels like PayPal need to clamp down on tipping culture tbh. (ETA only saying older not in a patronising way but someone who is less au fait with tech which tbh is wrong to correlate with age, my youngest brother would fall into this category too he struggles to use websites much less smart phones for various reasons)

Sorry for essay x

• Heart
Reactions: 88
I agree, I’m savvy enough and I have occasionally brows the website and thought I should put a tip in. I mean I give Wikipedia £2 every year (only the price of a coffee!) plus I give money to a podcast to show appreciation and because they use it to make more podcasts (I’m one of the cool kids, Fraus)
I think I kind of assumed the “tip the cook” was to fund the website or something, I never really thought it could be used to purchase sideboards and sleeper tickets. Because who asks for money for...their personal expenses?
Edit-autocarrot

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I never donated to her tip jar, but I did buy a book in support for what seemed like a small time gal just working for a brilliant cause. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I once responded to one of her 'I'm really down. If I've ever done something good please tell me or I don't know what I'll do' posts, because I consider myself a nice person who would hate for anybody to be in that state. It was very shortly after this incident I started putting two and two together. I consider myself fairly sharp and critical, and she had me going for quite a while. Just imagine somebody less so!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 81
Instead she's going to reheat it in a slow cooker casserole, then freeze it to be reheated again another day. To keep "safe on the dates". Not it seems, safe on basic food hygiene 🤔

Also - #EPHEMERA
Wasn't she banging on in response to a David(?) about her recipes are crafted with minimal cooking times due to fuel consumption?

The hokey cokey BBQ chicken thighs- slow cooker-freeze-cook some which way from frozen is not fuel aware. People in poverty do not have the resources for this.

Reactions: 34
How can Jack sit at home and tweet the tit she does about how her son LOVES a yellow sticker plain ham sandwich and actually think that’s an acceptable thing to feed her son while she eats expensive cheese? It’s embarrassing, why is nobody pulling her up on this and questioning why she gets the good stuff and he gets cooking bacon (which is vile and not proper bacon), half a biscuit and that sandwich filler monstrosity.

She really is a narcissistic, hypochondriac, grifting scammer of the highest order. One day we will watch her pay for it all, one day.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 78
Grunkaing so probably behind on the chat but I did a shop today for 2 of us for the week. I try and buy as cheap as possible for most thingd but spend a bit more to get meat and eggs I am comfortable with ethically. It came to £37.70. She is dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Do you have boiling eggs on the list? She said she was writing something on how to boil an egg (lol).
may I add SAD JACK hasn't left her bed for 72 hours, whilst simultaneously working a 21 hour day, doing the school run, and valiantly working behind the scenes for political prisioners. But what reward does she get for it?

And she RENTS.

Habitat, on the floor, gnashing, clawing and wailing Ilke a banshee.
And NINJA JACK*, moving silently and stealthily behind the scenes, working without recognition or reward for the greater good.
*Please note this version of Jack exists solely in the imagination

• Haha
Reactions: 49
@heretoreaditall2019 I think followers have been trained to see any questioning or looking at sites like companies house as creepy by people like Jack. Using the bullying/trolling/woe is me language to make followers feel sorry for her. Then they all do the harassing pile ons that we’ve seen many times. Leaving Jack looking like the victim and us like the ‘group of bullying ninnies’.

My favourite film

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Also... I think Jack should bring out a Jacktionary. Like a dictionary. But full of all these words she uses in the wrong way or context to teach others how to use same words in ways she thinks work.

For example Splinter= thorn but can also also be described as Fauna.
I like it. I also like the sound of a jackshitionary.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Ah the ham sandwich has really pissed me off. I just pray SBs Dad feeds him real food

And where was her parents orchard when she was in the deep throes of poverty? Selling her lightbulbs and labia to afford cheap ham??

head

Reactions: 38
I've still not spent anything this week!

A work friend popped to the shop and got me a loaf of bread when he got his shopping (wouldn't take money off me) so that's OK right?

And for tea oh treated us to fish and chips, I didn't pay for that, so that's not cheating is it?

I'm still feeding us on nothing

• Haha
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.