Jack Edwards

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And on the subject of the book launch: he goes on and on about being a "published author" (he's definitely also mentioned that he didn't understand what else he could've done to make his Oxford application better because he'd written a book). He wrote a uni self-help book, which he got asked to do purely because he's a YouTuber. That's not what people mean when they say "published author". Like, technically yes, but also no.

Reactions: 11
in fairness he isnt wrong, he is a published author. But being a published author doesn't mean your immune to criticism or a perfect writer. Studying English at Oxford and being a published author are two very different things. Hell, Katie Price is technically a published author

Reactions: 10
Yeah true. I guess I kind of meant that writing a YouTuber advice book is clearly not going to having any bearing on whether or not you'll get onto an English Literature degree.

Reactions: 2
haha oh yeah on that I agree. and from the bits I've seen it's hardly high literature. Karen jokes arent exactly the epitome of quality writing

Its basically blog posts tied together. nothing wrong in that but I think he is letting his moderate success get the better of him

Reactions: 7
And on the subject of the book launch: he goes on and on about being a "published author" (he's definitely also mentioned that he didn't understand what else he could've done to make his Oxford application better because he'd written a book). He wrote a uni self-help book, which he got asked to do purely because he's a YouTuber. That's not what people mean when they say "published author". Like, technically yes, but also no.
I'm sorry but how is telling a seventeen-year-old whether or not to bring a colander to university anything to gloat about on an English Literature personal statement? It's an incredible achievement to be published but come on.

• Haha
This is the thing, what he has achieved (building a respectable YouTube channel and getting a book published and getting a first) is to be commended. But he is undoing all of that by taking himself way too seriously. All he had to do was hold his hands up and apologise for the mask and lack of social distancing but no, he still thinks he did nothing wrong or that he is above the rules. Helps explain why almost half of new covid cases now seem to be in under 30s.

Also..what has happened to his dress sense 🤷‍♂️

This is the thing, what he has achieved (building a respectable YouTube channel and getting a book published and getting a first) is to be commended. But he is undoing all of that by taking himself way too seriously. All he had to do was hold his hands up and apologise for the mask and lack of social distancing but no, he still thinks he did nothing wrong or that he is above the rules. Helps explain why almost half of new covid cases now seem to be in under 30s.

Also..what has happened to his dress sense 🤷‍♂️
It feels like he has a bit of a superiority complex. It's ok that I've moved back to Durham during a pandemic, and I don't have to follow laws concerning the safety of others, and of course Oxford has to accept me at some point.

We should all be proud of who we are as people but I do hope that in leaving university he realises the world doesn't revolve around him.

Last edited:
It does seem to be slightly generational too. I went back to uni as a slightly mature student and it is noticeable how some of the current students arent used to being told no and think they know everything and are entitled to everything. Not all, but definitely a larger percentage than used to be normal

Reactions: 4
I don’t care what he says, whether there is people around or not he’s setting a bad example, he’s an INFLUENCER and is influencing crappy behaviour
I doubt he cleaned his hands between taking the mask off and touching the book
I think someone said it before on here but being caught without a face mask in a shop can lead to a fine of up to £100. It doesn’t matter if he was the only one in the shop or if there are no people around, rules are rules. Also, what’s wrong with posting a photo in a book shop with your mask on? Or even one step further, a selfie with the book still on the shelf to prevent touching it? I know that might be a bit extreme but everything needs to be taken seriously these days, especially considering he’s in London.

Is it just me who doesn't understand why he makes a big deal out of being a first-generation uni student? Maybe I'm missing something because I'm not one. Personally, both my parents went to uni, but that was 30+ years ago in a foreign country with a completely different system. For most people with parents that went to uni, their parents' experiences are outdated and probably not all that helpful?

When it came for me to start thinking about uni, it was my school that explained the application system and me who did all the research. The only way in which my parents were involved was by being supportive of my decision. I'm definitely sure that it might be less likely for parents to be supportive if you're the first one in the family to go to uni. But provided your parents are supportive, I don't see how being a first-gen uni student or not makes much difference?

Is it just me who doesn't understand why he makes a big deal out of being a first-generation uni student? Maybe I'm missing something because I'm not one. Personally, both my parents went to uni, but that was 30+ years ago in a foreign country with a completely different system. For most people with parents that went to uni, their parents' experiences are outdated and probably not all that helpful?

When it came for me to start thinking about uni, it was my school that explained the application system and me who did all the research. The only way in which my parents were involved was by being supportive of my decision. I'm definitely sure that it might be less likely for parents to be supportive if you're the first one in the family to go to uni. But provided your parents are supportive, I don't see how being a first-gen uni student or not makes much difference?
My parents both went to uni but did distance learning as mature students so technically I was a 1st gen student. You learn everything as you go, as does everyone and tbh if you haven’t been independent before uni then that’s the only reason it would be hard. And anything you don’t know, it’s doesn’t take a genius to search on google - you definitely don’t need to pay for a book to tell you how to do your own laundry, cook for yourself etc 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3

I know now it can make a small difference on applications etc now, I think a lot of that is to do with quotas and generally 1st gen students are typically working/lower middle class now?
Good on ANYONE who goes to uni, or gets an apprenticeship etc etc

as someone who’s parents didn’t go to uni, all it meant for me was I had to explain it A LOT too them about applications and so on

Reactions: 6
Sorry but 1st gen, he’s clutching at straws here, he’s clearly from a middle class family who are doing well for themselves, YOURE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE SOMEONE WHO HAS STRUGGLED, you’re not from a minority group or pupil premium! He’s getting worse as the days go by!

Reactions: 24
Sorry but 1st gen, he’s clutching at straws here, he’s clearly from a middle class family who are doing well for themselves, YOURE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE SOMEONE WHO HAS STRUGGLED, you’re not from a minority group or pupil premium! He’s getting worse as the days go by!
This!!! He’s never had it hard - I’m from a working class background and I’m at Durham uni and it’s students like Jack that annoy me so much. So privileged but complaining about something and nothing - he doesn’t give a tit about anyone who is from a lower social status than him, and marketing a book with tips that can be found online for free just shows that

Reactions: 14

Completely agree. I’m a 1st generation university student myself and I myself am middle class (my parents weren’t when they were my age and worked their way up). In my opinion, being a 1st generation student hasn’t made my experience so far any different to say my housemate who’s parents are both doctors. We discussed it before and we recognise that other people have had it harder than us and we’re very fortunate but being the first person in my family to go to uni hasn’t made any difference in my case. Me and my housemate both had to learn new things about living independently/studying etc.

I feel like my point has gone off on a tangent 😂 but going to university no matter what generation you are is a big achievement and shouldn’t be frowned upon if your family has been going to university for decades/if you’re the first in your family.

Reactions: 8
also, didn't his brother also go to uni afterwards? he says that he's a 1st generation uni student as if his parents could only afford for HIS tuition, and he was the chosen one, when it's obvious that his parents can afford both his and his brother's expenses...

Reactions: 3
It's the sort of book I would imagine a well-meaning Aunt would buy, it might be useful but certainly nothing that a quick look on student forms can't help with.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.