Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lola123

VIP Member
As a fellow English student, it is absurd how awful Jack’s taste in literature is. Jesus fucking Christ.
I’m gonna clap back here, who cares? If he enjoys it he enjoys it? Snobbery around books grinds my gears, so many people don’t read so even if someone is reading “trash” who cares, he also reads a lot for his job, these videos and because I’m assuming books are sent to him?

Reactions: 42

nissigossips

It's wrong of him to be so clearly gay but hide behind the facade of being straight (or at least bi) by having a girlfriend and gain the privileges of both sides.
Ngl this is one of the biggest reaches I've ever read. I find Jack high irritating but come on. 1. He hasn't said anything about his sexuality so we have no idea if he's bi or straight, and it's none of our business anyway. 2. Even if he is bi, you know bi men are allowed to date women... that's literally how being bi works 🤦 Lets not get homophobic on this thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

whatamievendoing

Feel like all I do on this thread is bring up Ibz Mo BUT in his latest vid he said people need to stop using the words "state school" to mean "disadvantaged" bc he rightly points out going to a state school in a rich area is a whole different game - I don't know if he's thinking of Jack when he says it but it def reflects some things that have been said here about Jack clinging to his state education as being his last bastion of disadvantage when in fact his particular school was amazing and thus doesn't make the point he wants it to (and why act like you didn't have a great education? Just acknowledge it and say you were lucky!)

Reactions: 34

unknown7575

Awful to say but I dont think until someone well know and in their teens or twenties are hospitalized or worse, the younger generation wont take notice
Sorry but I’m a member of this younger generation and I care about this whole situation, just because there are a few ignorant people it doesn’t apply to the whole generation

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Oh his latest video frustrates me. Complaining that influencers in Dubai are fine, but he caught COVID 'going nowhere'.

Jack, did you forget about all your European travels last year. You. Were. Just. As. Bad!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26

nissigossips

Am trying to say this in the nicest way possible, but..... does anyone else just find Jack a bit, well, creepy? Dunno what it is, but he really creeps me out. Especially on TikTok when he's trying to look "hot" I guess with the winking and stuff? And on instagram in photos when he's posing. It genuinely creeps me out. Something just quite unsettling?

• Heart
Reactions: 26

jjhv

Oh wow! I thought it was more exclusive than that! If there’s only 10 that miss out he really needs to accept he’s not what they’re looking for! Try Cambridge instead? Or just do it at another uni?
Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 10.19.16.png

edit edit: I just saw his tweet - my bad. Also "fact check"? That's what I was doing. I said there was one really competitive course. I wasn't trying to hide that fact.

I was going to delete the rest of this but, seeming as he read this, I just wanted to say my peace. I got into an elite university straight from my undergraduate (at a lesser institution) to PhD. It wasn't what I expected and it led to a lot of pain on my part this year. What I say below isn't out of spite but rather because I truly hope he makes his peace with Oxford.

I just really wish he'd stop perpetuating the idea that to be academic, or to enjoy a subject, you have to go to Oxford or Cambridge. The truth is he could definitely get the same opportunities if he did his masters at Durham. He has shown that he is "good enough", through the grades he has achieved throughout his undergraduate, regardless of whether he gets an acceptance or not.

He has previously stated that he wants to do a PhD and if that is still the case it really doesn't matter. He will be judged on his passion for his specific subject rather than the university he did his masters at. If his goal is to truly go in that direction I'd suggest that the best "revenge" isn't to get into the masters there but to have an incredible career regardless of the institution.

Also Jack, sorry for putting you on blast. I get that this must be an incredibly hard thing to deal with without hundreds of thousands of people critiquing you. I truly hope for the best for you.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Lola123

VIP Member
Sorry but 1st gen, he’s clutching at straws here, he’s clearly from a middle class family who are doing well for themselves, YOURE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE SOMEONE WHO HAS STRUGGLED, you’re not from a minority group or pupil premium! He’s getting worse as the days go by!

Reactions: 24

fwooper

VIP Member
View attachment 507393

Removing dislikes from YouTube is a terrible idea and only people like Studytubers (who cry whenever someone holds them accountable) want it.
Never understood why creators get their knickers in a twist over a few video dislikes. If your skin is that thin maybe don’t be an influencer.

The dislike function is really important for signposting if a video contains false information, poor commentary, or is generally a shitty video. This is yet another step in YouTube removing the voice of audiences on videos.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

adler92

I’ve just watched his ‘Bridgerton’ video and...what is this guy on!? Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand that this book is not for everyone but he is so pompous it’s unreal.

I completely disagree with his ‘analysis’ of the scene where Daphne exploits the Duke of Hastings in order to have children. Isn’t this the same guy who read Lolita and thought it was brilliant? The book where a middle-aged man becomes sexually involved with a 12 year old girl. What’s the difference? Why can Vladimir Nabokov write about this stuff and Julia Quinn can’t? I’ll tell you why...it’s because, in Jack’s mind, Quinn doesn’t conform to his standard of literature. Nabokov is worthy of study at an elitist university - a book he feels perfectly happy to bring up in a university interview. Quinn, on the other hand, is just for the masses.

Jack has fallen into this trap where he is trying to appease everyone in order to keep his channel going. We all know that rape is wrong but that doesn’t mean it can’t be written about in books. Get off your high horse Jack!!

• Heart
I can totally see him going into the booktube direction, good niche I think.
same and maybe expanding to like film or even pop culture analysis. i actually find the content he makes not relating to studying/vlogging (his study content is insufferable) quite engaging, thoughtful, and interesting. at least he actually has something constructive to say about the books he reads...unlike some other people *cough* Ruby.

In a lot of ways I'm very similar to Jack - I'm the same age, took my A Levels at the same time, went to uni at the same time, graduated at the same time. I come from a middle-class family and went to an all-girls grammar school and while I'm not 1st gen my mum only went to university because it was free to do nursing at the time. That's the reason I used to watch him, I thought watching people the same age as me navigate the same things in life was pretty cool, but I find him completely insufferable these days. Studytubers all have such a weird and unhealthy attitude to success and benefit so much from their upbringings and capitalism but none of them ever want to actually admit it. The amount of value they all place on Russell Group universities is ridiculous, when I went to MMU and had a great time and great education there and am returning in September because of how much I loved it. I just think their attitudes stink a lot of the time. They go on about inequality and disparity and voting Labour on their socials but it's entirely performative because they're the ones who benefit from the shitty system we live in the most. Especially Jack, with his pushing that he's 1st gen, and how quirky he is for drinking Strongbow out of a mug, it just reminds me of all the freshers in Manchester who pretend they're lower class when they're really not. Goes back to the whole classy when you're rich but trashy when you're poor thing.

I think studytubers in general also seriously romanticise burning yourself out and pulling all-nighters and just promote a really unhealthy lifestyle at university. It doesn't need to be like that and they need to stop pushing this "if you're not spending 24 hours in the library you're not successful" crap.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

nissigossips

Screenshot_20210331-110652.png

Removing dislikes from YouTube is a terrible idea and only people like Studytubers (who cry whenever someone holds them accountable) want it.

Reactions: 22

fwooper

VIP Member
Him acting as though the class divide in the UK is synonymous with the state/private school distinction is such a crude way of looking at things. There is an abundance of excellent state schools especially in the south of England and wealthy families will move into the catchment areas of these schools to ensure their kids end up going there. Meanwhile some parents will make significant financial sacrifices to send their kids to private school. It isn't always cut and dry.

And lol, what do you know... Jack's sixth form college (available publicly on his LinkedIn) is ranked third in the country in terms of A-Level performance. He would've received an outstanding education from there, far better than your average private school. So idk why he is acting so shocked by private schools when he received a top-class education himself. I'm also not sure what he means when he says he didn't know what a private school looks like, because most of them look exactly the same as his sixth form which looks waaay fancier than the average state sixth form.

• Wow
Reactions: 21

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
His new vlog - wow. He comes across as so immature and woe is me, like people have had it so much harder than he has. Lots of people have lost their lives, lost love ones, lost jobs and their only source of income, whereas Jack hasn’t been disadvantaged by the pandemic at all. He has written a book, earns money from YouTube, is gifted free accommodation and he complains about his course being online- like literally every other student in the country has to deal with. Jack complains loads about everything and was definitely referring to tattle when talking about online hate. But actually a lot of it is reasonable criticism - like complaining about something and nothing and then breaking social distancing. Jack needs to realise his privilege and GROW THE FUCK UP. Rant over.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

nissigossips

He must have had complaints/questions. He’s confirmed it’s not a paid ad.
Guys this is wrong. He was paid. The original post was an ad.

This second post was not specifically paid for, like he says in the text. The original posts were paid for.

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 20

nrs264

VIP Member
He has posted about reading a book on the Windrush generation and how its blown ' his little mind ' with a little mansplanation of what it is. How ignorant is he that he didn't already know this? Its been in the news and other media substantially in last year or two.

This is what gets me about the current batch of campaigners and activists. Whatever cause they are championing they act as though they are the first to discover it, do very little research and just start shouting.

Also, posting about wearing Dior, yep thats relatable to most of his followers 🤦‍♂️

• Sick
Reactions: 19