Jack Edwards

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
While it could be the manufacturers, it could also depend on what they were given. Did he not proof read it? did he supply them with the correct product? could be either/or.

were those tweets really just 7 hours ago? if so that's the middle of the night. were the manufacturers really contactable and already dealing with it then 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 4
Does anyone know the exact course he applied for at Oxford? I just had a little look on the English Lit courses at Oxford and there's only one really "competitive" course. All the rest pretty much had 70 applications to 60 places. I think he needs to accept that he can enjoy English Literature without being validated by Oxford.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone know the exact course he applied for at Oxford? I just had a little look on the English Lit courses at Oxford and there's only one really "competitive" course. All the rest pretty much had 70 applications to 60 places. I think he needs to accept that he can enjoy English Literature without being validated by Oxford.
Oh wow! I thought it was more exclusive than that! If there’s only 10 that miss out he really needs to accept he’s not what they’re looking for! Try Cambridge instead? Or just do it at another uni?

Reactions: 1
Oh wow! I thought it was more exclusive than that! If there’s only 10 that miss out he really needs to accept he’s not what they’re looking for! Try Cambridge instead? Or just do it at another uni?
Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 10.19.16.png

edit edit: I just saw his tweet - my bad. Also "fact check"? That's what I was doing. I said there was one really competitive course. I wasn't trying to hide that fact.

I was going to delete the rest of this but, seeming as he read this, I just wanted to say my peace. I got into an elite university straight from my undergraduate (at a lesser institution) to PhD. It wasn't what I expected and it led to a lot of pain on my part this year. What I say below isn't out of spite but rather because I truly hope he makes his peace with Oxford.

I just really wish he'd stop perpetuating the idea that to be academic, or to enjoy a subject, you have to go to Oxford or Cambridge. The truth is he could definitely get the same opportunities if he did his masters at Durham. He has shown that he is "good enough", through the grades he has achieved throughout his undergraduate, regardless of whether he gets an acceptance or not.

He has previously stated that he wants to do a PhD and if that is still the case it really doesn't matter. He will be judged on his passion for his specific subject rather than the university he did his masters at. If his goal is to truly go in that direction I'd suggest that the best "revenge" isn't to get into the masters there but to have an incredible career regardless of the institution.

Also Jack, sorry for putting you on blast. I get that this must be an incredibly hard thing to deal with without hundreds of thousands of people critiquing you. I truly hope for the best for you.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Well maybe he should stop blaming COVID for getting 70% and instead think about writing a dissertation in a few days (various other essays in small amounts of time).

Reactions: 8
I think it was the modern literature course, 1900 - present. It looks like they receive about 170 applications per year. Someone I know studied this course and they were an outstanding student, averaging 85 at undergraduate level. Interestingly they did not enjoy the experience because they felt Oxford was not the best place to study modern literature as the strengths of the department tend to be in earlier periods. Obviously this is just one person’s perspective.

Reactions: 3
Hi jack why don’t you address the actual problem here - your ignorant acceptance of any sponsorship that gives you money, instead of trying to tit on someone who made a mistake

Reactions: 13
Constantly talking about Oxford is not a bleeping personality. You got rejected so bleeping move on - after being rejected a second time you’d think he’d accept it. his comments about Oxford being the best are really getting annoying, and I’m not saying it isn’t the best, but Durham is still a really good academic institution and he’s putting it down. He seems to be putting all the blame on COVID, on Durham, and on how hard he’s had it. Take some bleeping responsibility and work harder - don’t write your every essay and the final dissertation at the last minute and expect to have every uni wanting you on their course.

sorry about this rant but it really pisses me off

Reactions: 11
His ego is hurt that's all, its ego driving the Oxford obsession. Like most influencers ego tends to take over when they are criticised too.

I've just completed my degree with a first and I freely admit ego was driving my desire for a first (theres much debate about the value of a first vs 2.1 in the job market). Also ego can drive what course and uni you want to go to. HOWEVER I know so many people who hated their first choice and changed uni, usually to a 'lesser' one. Having also worked at a uni I know this to be true and I can also see why Oxford may have rejected him based his public persona and attitude.

Oh and Jack...welcome to the real world. You've existed in uni and social media bubble. Life really starts after uni and shock horror, not everyone in the world is going to be the suck ups you get in your comments. Your doing some highly dubious advertising and have also not represented the best way to be a student at times. If you put yourself out there as an expert in something then people will challenge you when things dont add up.

Reactions: 13
Now we have the great big tweet deletion: the tweet saying the manufacturers had messed up and promising replacement planners has been deleted, and the tweet about the Oxford acceptance rate has been deleted

Reactions: 3
Hi Jack! Maybe you wouldn't get your knickers in this much of a twist if you were so sure that you were doing nothing wrong. It's weird that you're getting very defensive over something you seem to think of as a non-issue.

These "influencers" and their entitlement to uninterrupted adoration amazes me. I was pleasantly surprised by his desire to have an actual job and have his Youtube on the side as a hobby, thinking him to be humble enough to not get dizzy over his subscriber count but I see that the ego and arrogance is running wild already. The fact that he is offended because people rightfully said he shouldn't have been fiddling with his mask in a bookshop tells it all.

Edit/Addition: Regarding his Oxford rejection - it sucks, it really does and I feel for him. He's wanted Oxford for a long time and probably felt like going to Durham felt like settling. (The fact that I have used Durham and settling in the same sentence is barmy but bear with.) However, if I remember correctly, he's said in his rejection video that by getting accepted, he was going to "show them" and "prove them wrong". That sounds like an awful motive to try for a school. I know it's hard to deal with the fact that for some reason or another you weren't the right person for something but if Oxford sensed that Jack was driven mostly by his desire to show them how wrong they were to not accept him for his undergrad degree, I doubt they were convinced that he would be the right person for the few spots in the course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Imagine how much better he would have looked if he had just apologized about the mask situation. Regardless of the reason he took it down, just set a good example for your audience.

Trust me, from experience two ways to annoy university admissions teams.

1 - getting your parents to do all the work and communicating for you when applying

2 - Keep applying once you've been rejected. We/they aren't stupid, names are remembered and staff talk to eachother. It also highly annoys the admissions tutors for the respective courses and depending on the tutor you may get even less sympathy than from the admissions team

Ok so the course he applied for is "World Literatures" at quite a white university, as a male. I don't mean to make this so sjw but can't he understand why he might not have got the place? Isn't it time that other voices should be heard?

Edit: ngl him getting so defensive about me asking a question has really irritated me all morning. I guess I am no less petty than him.

Reactions: 9
The pictures on Instagram show he is directly breaking the bleeping LAW. Not wearing a mask in a shop for a photograph is so stupid- does he not care at all about the virus???? But it doesn’t count for influencers because he has written a book, so the rules don’t apply to him. For fucks sake, use your platform to influence others to follow government guidelines not just to show off about a tit book that is probably nothing more than the usual uni tips that can be found online.

Reactions: 10
I have a screenshot of that picture and will not hesitate to send it to any future brands he’s working with. I’m sick of all the influencers who don’t obey rules. Would highly recommend doing the same (not just with Jack). Influencer’s like Jack should really learn not to piss off their “fans” as with out us they are nothing.

Reactions: 5
you can get fined £100 for not wearing a mask, but because Jack is a YouTuber it’s okay wtf. He needs to learn that actions have bleeping consequences

Reactions: 9
Have people seen his reply on twitter? Firstly how unprofessional is this sending planners in the wrong order?
second, his book launch should have been the most amazing day of his life? Get a. Grip.

FC1A51D8-04E8-4C60-8F89-6ACDE0DFEA29.png
C4755785-3FAD-4CC9-9CD8-7DF7784ACB69.png

Reactions: 4
Yeah I actually came here to talk about that. It's such a non-apology, and so unprofessional? It's pushing all the blame onto the supplier and trying to stop people attacking him. Just begging for sympathy.

his 'team' ?

also, whatever's gone on behind the scenes, slagging off one of your suppliers or business partners so publically and aggressively is not very professional or a great idea. I think he has a lot to learn about business and PR.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.