Jack Edwards

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's the sort of book I would imagine a well-meaning Aunt would buy, it might be useful but certainly nothing that a quick look on student forms can't help with.
Yes!! When I was a student I learnt through trial and error and google
I just printed tonnes of recipes & my dad even gave me a ‘how to’ guide for around the house 😭😭, I used the manual for the washing machine probably the first 20 times I used it, but I got by? As do the hundreds of thousands of students each year
If there was demand for that type of book, I imagine the market would have already been filled

Reactions: 3
I'm 1st generation and it's not that big a deal, in fact its something I barely think of. Its only really a big deal if you come from a deprived or poor background, which he clearly hasnt. He is a very comfortable middle class kid

Reactions: 10
Making a big deal of nothing to sell his book is bleeping disgraceful. What about students who actually struggle with real issues like finances?? Jack is obviously just in it for the money or he would have made a free ebook - it’s all so he can be a published “author” (if you can even call it that) and get the financial benefits

Reactions: 6
Making a big deal of nothing to sell his book is bleeping disgraceful. What about students who actually struggle with real issues like finances?? Jack is obviously just in it for the money or he would have made a free ebook - it’s all so he can be a published “author” (if you can even call it that) and get the financial benefits
Agreed. Anyone think he’s done it to strengthen his Oxford application as well? Not saying that’s the main reason but it could be a reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
The book really weakens his persona in my opinion. For someone who loves literature so much to call themselves an author from that feels so cheap.

I don't understand what it adds compared to making a few videos on the topic? Surely if you're trying to attract broke students a free video would be better??

Reactions: 11
In fairness, it makes complete sense for him to pull all his tips together into one book. he has offered a lot for free over the years and this gives people a lot of info in one place and a chance for him to make some money out of it. I'd do the same tbh. A lot of people wouldnt the time or inclination to research everything individually and watch hours worth of vlogs etc. But yeah it's not high literature

Reactions: 4
This dude has a massive chip on his shoulder about Oxford- I know a couple people who did Oxbridge and the minute their undergrad was up they got out of there they disliked the experience that badly.

Also looking at English league tables, there's not actually that big a difference in the top 10 unis for English so surely he'd be best applying to all of them and looking at the research from each department to see what the best fit is in that way.

And the first gen uni student thing: I'm middle class and technically 1st gen (I had a cousin go first cause he's a little older than me, but no one else in my family has a degree)- first in my family ever to be doing a PhD too. But I don't boast about being a 1st gen student cause it doesn't actually matter that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Oxford and Cambridge survive on history and reputation more than anything. not necessarily the best anymore

Reactions: 4
Didn’t he get A*A*A*? If his grades were lowered by one grade then he would have still got to Durham with AAA. Using a tit situation for many students to complain about his top grades is pretty low for Jack
B91E156D-7F35-402B-A304-1EB6CE3EDB4A.png

Reactions: 1
Didn’t he get A*A*A*? If his grades were lowered by one grade then he would have still got to Durham with AAA. Using a tit situation for many students to complain about his top grades is pretty low for Jack View attachment 208427
And surely he went to a decent school as he’s middle class! What he doesn’t get is that he needs to be talking about the system! Working class and BAME students will be the most affected! A lot of this years students less they are applying to a course with capped numbers have had unconditional offers made as the unis are desperate for the same number of students and they’re worried no one will turn up due to covid, again I feel like he’s speaking about something he hasn’t experienced/ has no idea about, here’s a wild idea jack, look at the attainment gap, ask yourself what you already know instead of pretending just because you didn’t go to oxford makes you so unfortunate and “woke” start some actual activism instead of taking opportunities away from people aka the unite brand deal! It’s all down hill from here tbh
I am under the strong impression oxford will reject him again, they look for best fit, so theoretically someone who didn’t get as good grades as him but suits them more would get in, time he just accepts what he is

Reactions: 6
Didn’t he get A*A*A*? If his grades were lowered by one grade then he would have still got to Durham with AAA. Using a tit situation for many students to complain about his top grades is pretty low for Jack View attachment 208427
and if he had had a proper job with any sort of responsibility he might have some understanding of what a difficult job schools, colleges, awarding bodies etc have had over the last 6 months. Yes its a very unfortunate mistake that needs to be rectified but if he thinks all these people/organisations just view statistics and dont realise they impact peoples lives then he is very out of touch and has no comprehension of what goes on.

also he would have likely got in to his universities of choice. Universities have been accepting lower grades and been desperate for students for over 5 years. I say this with some inside knowledge too

His book dedication is:

"This book is dedicated to my A Level Biology teacher, who told me it was time to start aiming lower - I'm glad I didn't."

Which strikes me as a bit petty really? Like he's hung up on something one teacher said to him five years ago.

He needs to move on, my time in school was awful with all of my teachers because they didn't understand my learning disability. Uni improved my life tenfold and I don't sit and think about them all day 🙄

• Sick
Reactions: 14
he is coming across more and more entitled but completely unaware of his privilege and loving putting himself in the victim role

Reactions: 10
His book dedication is:

"This book is dedicated to my A Level Biology teacher, who told me it was time to start aiming lower - I'm glad I didn't."

Which strikes me as a bit petty really? Like he's hung up on something one teacher said to him five years ago.

He needs to move on, my time in school was awful with all of my teachers because they didn't understand my learning disability. Uni improved my life tenfold and I don't sit and think about them all day 🙄
that and the Oxford rejection is probably the most he’s ever been told “no” hence why he’s so hung up on it, it’d explain the entitlement if that’s the case

Reactions: 5
His book dedication is:

Is that the only dedication?

What about the teachers that helped him along the way, his family or loved ones?

edit: that also assumes that he believes this book proves to the teacher that he shouldn't lower his standards which he kind of has?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Is that the only dedication?

What about the teachers that helped him along the way, his family or loved ones?
Or you know followers who have essentially given him the opportunity to do it in the first place!

Reactions: 5
he is so out of touch. The thing is he is soon going to be irrelevant as generations coming through are not going to want advice from someone in their mid 20s as it will all be out of date (which with covid it already is) and he will be classed as out of touch with freshers. Being a student influencer in your 20s will be weird...and he wont be any help to mature students (like me) as it's a completely different experience

His book dedication is:

Imagine being that bitter that you use the dedication of your debut book to have a dig at someone from the past.

Ahh Jack, you can’t cope with the idea that not everybody worships you, can you! You narcissist.

Reactions: 2
I've just had a quick look at the pages that are on amazon and on one page he states that nothing you do on an open day, short of killing someone, will impact you getting into uni. That's not strictly true, I've known many a student immediately hit the black list due to their attitudes on the day, also at the opposite extreme, showing interest and great behaviour can improve suddenly put you on an admissions tutors good list even if your grades arent amazing. Yes universities are desperate for students but they wont just take anyone, especially if there are early signs they could be a problem.

So while applicants shouldnt worry too much or overthink it, their behaviour can be remembered for good and bad

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.