Jack Edwards

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also just checked the pages on Amazon and why is there a section called 'Living in London'?! He went to Durham!

Being a student influencer in your 20s will be weird...
It is definitely weird, but people still give it a go (i.e. Rosie Crawford, still calling herself a "recent graduate of the university of Oxford" at the start of every video even when it's over a year since she graduated)

I've just had a quick look at the pages that are on amazon and on one page he states that nothing you do on an open day, short of killing someone, will impact you getting into uni.
Another error in the Amazon preview from the Open Days section:

Screenshot_20200811-223921.png

Sorry Jack, campus university students also "actually live in the city centre". It's only in first year (at most universities) that they live on campus. How much research did you do again?

Reactions: 4
It is definitely weird, but people still give it a go (i.e. Rosie Crawford, still calling herself a "recent graduate of the university of Oxford" at the start of every video even when it's over a year since she graduated)

Another error in the Amazon preview from the Open Days accommodation
Sorry Jack, campus university students also "actually live in the city centre". It's only in first year (at most universities) that they live on campus. How much research did you do again?
My campus uni didn’t have first year accommodation on it 😂😂 a lot of the ones I visited didn’t either why didn’t he say usually or likely too

Reactions: 3
May be just me being sensitive but saying you “get to actually live in the city centre” implies that living in the city centre is better than being on a campus. I grew up in a city centre and went to a campus university where I lived on campus first year and the surrounding town my other years, and didn’t feel like I missed out even slightly. The campus felt so much more like a community where people knew eachother. I don’t really like his phrasing tbh feels a bit judgemental.

Another error in the Amazon preview from the Open Days section:

View attachment 208842

Reactions: 6
A good university guide would be one that is written by a group of students with different experiences plus advice from university staff and academics.

His is just one persons views and experiences, including his obvious bias.

I did read one of the 5 star reviews on amazon and I have a suspicion at least one is written by family. The language just seems old for a fresher

I’ve been watching Jack’s videos for a while now, almost from when he started at Durham. For a long time, he was the one StudyTuber I could stand watching - he came across as down-to-Earth and relatable, and wasn’t obsessed with doing ridiculously long study sessions (e.g. creating endless lists). However, as he’s gone through uni, I’ve found he has become increasingly arrogant. For example, leaving things to the last minute, whilst telling everyone else they need to be organised, doesn’t endear me to him. I get the impression that he thinks it’s ‘cool’.

His recent video explaining his end-of-year grades especially wound me up. Blaming Coronavirus for his drop in exam grades didn’t sound good and I feel like he can always find someone or something to blame when he wants to. He sounds increasingly privileged and disconnected from real-life. The publication of his book certainly hasn’t helped and, if his dedication is true, it’s quite frankly pathetic.

It’s a shame because I really liked him. If his content can come more relatable (gaining some real-life work experience instead of living in a central London flat rent free) then maybe he will become that bit more humble again. Unfortunately, I don’t really see that happening anytime soon.

Reactions: 10
I know this tweet is talking about the UK government’s policy towards A-level results but to me it just seems like Jack is bragging about the fact that he did all his work last minute and still got a 1st.

Some people, myself included, have to work incredibly hard for the grades we want (it’s highly unlikely that I’ll get a 1st) and I put in so many hours of research and essay writing to get the grades I aim for. Yet, it seems that people like Jack can just swoop in last minute and get a 1st without even really ‘trying’.

I feel like he didn’t mean much harm by it but I felt slightly insulted by his phrasing of it, as if we can all just do things last minute.

Attachments

Reactions: 7
I know this tweet is talking about the UK government’s policy towards A-level results but to me it just seems like Jack is bragging about the fact that he did all his work last minute and still got a 1st.

Some people, myself included, have to work incredibly hard for the grades we want (it’s highly unlikely that I’ll get a 1st) and I put in so many hours of research and essay writing to get the grades I aim for. Yet, it seems that people like Jack can just swoop in last minute and get a 1st without even really ‘trying’.

I feel like he didn’t mean much harm by it but I felt slightly insulted by his phrasing of it, as if we can all just do things last minute.
Plus, I always found in university that the ability to pull things off last minute varied hugely between arts and sciences. If you bullshit your way through some rushed science, you will be categorically wrong and fail your assignment.

In the arts, your rushed writing may pass muster if your thoughts and opinions are valid, because there are many different valid thought patterns to pursue. Then you're at the whims of the marker of how well you do, but you probably won't fail.

I hate how Jack makes everything all about him. He’s also done a thread on twitter for results day advice - and at the end he recommended his book🙄

• Haha
Ugh he is just a parody of the most annoying 'yeah I go to UNAY I drink STRONGBOW out of a MUG' student of all fecking time

Reactions: 9
That's not really something to brag about...how does he NOT see this!! If Oxford see the tweet it hardly strengthens his case (and yes unis do sometimes look up students social media the same way employers do). For an english graduate you think he would understand that what he has said reflects badly on him and his attitude?! Plus he is criticising on one hand but admitting he does the same on the other. How the hell did he get a first

This is a minor thing, but it's an example of the attitude that really puts me off Jack.

Screenshot_20200812-174544.png
Screenshot_20200812-174604.png

Reactions: 1
lol he will alienate himself. He is already showing he is out of touch with upcoming generations

lol he will alienate himself. He is already showing he is out of touch with upcoming generations
I can't wait for his preachy message to A level students tomorrow, which will somehow include both the fact that he got 3 A*s and a 1st 😌 but even THAT can't make you OXBRIDGE material fellow kids :unsure:

I can't wait for his preachy message to A level students tomorrow, which will somehow include both the fact that he got 3 A*s and a 1st 😌 but even THAT can't make you OXBRIDGE material fellow kids :unsure:
I hope he doesn’t comment, he has no idea how any of them are feeling, he has no idea what the outcomes are/how different they would have been to sitting at the exams, it’s not been easy and politicians are just playing games to get them to resent their teachers when the new announcement about mocks the regulatory body (ofqual) didn’t even know about!

He's only 1st generation, probably because typically it was only doctors, vets, lawyers & clergy who needed degree level. Nurses, teachers etc went to colleges and gained diploma's - now most subjects are taught at degree level
He is still incredibly privileged, but the further education system has changed dramatically, so his parents possibly would've gone to Uni had they been of age now. Also University education is not an indication of intelligence, which I think a lot of Studytubers forget.

Reactions: 8
I hope he doesn’t comment, he has no idea how any of them are feeling, he has no idea what the outcomes are/how different they would have been to sitting at the exams, it’s not been easy and politicians are just playing games to get them to resent their teachers when the new announcement about mocks the regulatory body (ofqual) didn’t even know about!
Exactly. A generation of students could be completely screwed over tomorrow because the Conservative’s agenda and ego after outrage was more important than actually giving students the chance they deserve. the studytubers can save the humble bragging and insincere sympathy for every other day of the year.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.