J.K. Rowling #5 JK and the (Dis)order of the TRAs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry no 3 is the best book but worst film. Weird 70s fashions. New set and supporting cast that aren’t as good as first 2. And I will NEVER forgive the terrible Sirius and Lupin casting. Neither were remotely fit enough.
Damien Lewis was my Sirius Black! Colin Firth was my Lupin 🥰

I used to love the HP books and enjoyed the films when they came out (despite some reservations about casting and plot changes).

Now I don't want to watch the films ever again. They've been ruined by Daniel, Rupert and Emma (spits) all dissing JK and spouting nonsense.

NONE OF THEM NEEDED TO SAY ANYTHING IF THEY DIDN'T AGREE WITH JK.

None of them have spoken out about her getting death threats. Cowardly bastards. 🤬
From what I recall, Evy Lynch (Luna) and Dan Fogler (Jacob in FB) were much more nuanced in their support, Evy especially spoke up about all the goodness she sees in Jo and refuses to let one thing cancel that out.

Reactions: 11
Poor JK Rowling... I really feel for her. And to have people like Daniel Radcliffe who owes everything to her trash her publicly must be very painful and disappointing. I'm happy she is tough, stands her ground and doesn't engage in the ridiculous theater of apologizing.
Tbh she probably doesn‘t care at all about it - I would think her bank account insulates her from what others think.
It‘s like being worried about the guys who work for you think.
At the end of the day they owe her and her creativity for their lives.
She doesn‘t owe them anything.
Explain why she should care?
She wrote a kids book ffs, it isn‘t high brow, it‘s kids entertainment, whoever wrote „50 shades of bsdm lite“ probably doesn‘t care about whatever the actors/actresses in the movies based on her books think either.
People buy the books. People see the movies.
The authors get richer.
I‘m so upset that Daniel Radcliffe doesn‘t like me, I will but myself two Lamborghini‘s to cry into….

Reactions: 4
She hasn’t posted since June 2020 and her last 10 or so posts were all about BLM. I actually would have thought she’d say something about the Israel vs Palestine war or what is happening in Afghanistan now. She seems very much a ‘pick me’ girl. I don’t believe her activism is sincere at all.
She got very lucky by being cast as Hermione. She'd be a nobody in the acting world without that role.

Reactions: 19
Never read the books, never watched a film! My admiration for her is due to her stance on woman’s rights.
Same here! I’ve got no bleeping clue about Harry Potter, but I love Jo for her stance on women’s rights. I did however, read and enjoy The Casual Vacancy and the BBC One adaptation of it was pretty good too.

• Heart
Tbh she probably doesn‘t care at all about it - I would think her bank account insulates her from what others think.
It‘s like being worried about the guys who work for you think.
At the end of the day they owe her and her creativity for their lives.
She doesn‘t owe them anything.
Explain why she should care?
She wrote a kids book ffs, it isn‘t high brow, it‘s kids entertainment, whoever wrote „50 shades of bsdm lite“ probably doesn‘t care about whatever the actors/actresses in the movies based on her books think either.
People buy the books. People see the movies.
The authors get richer.
I‘m so upset that Daniel Radcliffe doesn‘t like me, I will but myself two Lamborghini‘s to cry into….
I'm not so sure. Of course money does cushion you in life but it's not everything.

I would think that she is a little upset at people turning on her especially those that she helped gain a career off the back of her writing. She's been accused of some awful things and it must be hurtful when people she has worked with have joined in with the online bullying.

Still I guess she knows who her friends are now.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I'm not so sure. Of course money does cushion you in life but it's not everything.

I would think that she is a little upset at people turning on her especially those that she helped gain a career off the back of her writing. She's been accused of some awful things and it must be hurtful when people she has worked with have joined in with the online bullying.

Still I guess she knows who her friends are now.
The worst one for me was Stephen King,obviously I don’t know her, or him, but she tweeted her admiration and support for SK when he initially showed her support then ended up deleting it once he withdrew it, not only withdrew it, but attacked her in quite a nasty way. I felt so sorry for her, that was a particularly nasty thing to happen.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
Thats utter bollocks, nobody has to make comments about what other people are doing or saying.
I’ve thought about this after a discussion on another thread where someone said that influencers should be posting about Afghanistan. Personally, imo, I don’t care if an influencer puts up a post on the Taliban or not. Instagram is not where I go to get to my information and someone who normally posts about makeup isn’t going to change anything in Kabul by reposting someone else’s opinion on it. But I think for a lot of the younger generations (probably Gen Z’ers and even some millennials), there’s a lot of black and white thinking and ‘you’re either with us or against us’. It’s important to them that the people they’re following have the ‘right’ opinion and think along the same lines they do and there’s absolutely no nuance to it. They think they’re ‘activists’ because they’re vocal about whatever bandwagon it’s trendy to jump on and I agree that I’d rather not hear about it at all. Unfortunately though, social media has given everyone a voice and keeping quiet isn’t an option. Only full compliance is enough.

It’s a weird one. I can separate the person from the art. I can still enjoy a film with Daniel Radcliffe in it, even knowing he’s a little toad. While I don’t agree with anything he’s said about JKR and support her wholeheartedly, he’s allowed to have a different opinion from me (even though it’s the wrong one 😉) and it would have been enough for him say that he believes TWAW without throwing JKR under the bus along with it as long as people who disagree get the same courtesy.

• Heart
I’ve thought about this after a discussion on another thread where someone said that influencers should be posting about Afghanistan. Personally, imo, I don’t care if an influencer puts up a post on the Taliban or not. Instagram is not where I go to get to my information and someone who normally posts about makeup isn’t going to change anything in Kabul by reposting someone else’s opinion on it. But I think for a lot of the younger generations (probably Gen Z’ers and even some millennials), there’s a lot of black and white thinking and ‘you’re either with us or against us’. It’s important to them that the people they’re following have the ‘right’ opinion and think along the same lines they do and there’s absolutely no nuance to it. They think they’re ‘activists’ because they’re vocal about whatever bandwagon it’s trendy to jump on and I agree that I’d rather not hear about it at all. Unfortunately though, social media has given everyone a voice and keeping quiet isn’t an option. Only full compliance is enough.

It’s a weird one. I can separate the person from the art. I can still enjoy a film with Daniel Radcliffe in it, even knowing he’s a little toad. While I don’t agree with anything he’s said about JKR and support her wholeheartedly, he’s allowed to have a different opinion from me (even though it’s the wrong one 😉) and it would have been enough for him say that he believes TWAW without throwing JKR under the bus along with it as long as people who disagree get the same courtesy.
Yes everyone has a voice now on social media but a lot of people talk utter crap and worse than that, spread misinformation and lies.

Personally I don't think that influencers should be platforming about serious situations like Afghanistan as it's not their place to tell everyone what to think. They are no better informed than any of us and they can only offer their opinion.
Why don't young people look for people with some expertise to listen to?

I know many people are fed up with politicians (me included) but at least these people have been elected to their positions.

• Heart
I think they lack the attention spells and mental comprehension skills to listen to people with experience and expertise. All they can deal with is catchy phrases, sound bites and conformity.

• Heart
  • Sad
Here are my thoughts on Afghanistan, now please click on the affiliate link #notsponsored #notanad

Yeah, no interest in hearing the thoughts of influencers

• Heart
Tom Felton and Matthew Lewis [Neville] havent badmouthed JKR AFAIK.
Almost annoying as the "stars" of the films are those that profited off her through other means such as those fan sites. IIRC only one went on the record to support her - she thanked him in a Tweet.
They're not disgusted enough to stop making money with her IP are they?

Reactions: 10
Tom Felton and Matthew Lewis [Neville] havent badmouthed JKR AFAIK.
Almost annoying as the "stars" of the films are those that profited off her through other means such as those fan sites. IIRC only one went on the record to support her - she thanked him in a Tweet.
They're not disgusted enough to stop making money with her IP are they?
I only know that Tom Felton was and probably still bullied constantly because he liked a tweet by Rowling. How bleeping nice of these people who probably think they’re woke, bully a man over his physical appearance among other things because he liked a tweet! Utterly ridiculous.

I hate this whole social media craze so much, people get cancelled over likes. And it’s so frustrating to get real unbiased information about these things because no matter how I word my searches, the first things always scream about terf-s and evil Rowling when I just want to simply read what happened.

I hadn't heard of the Tom Felton 'liked tweet' before but just came across this pro-TRA list of how HP actors have reacted.

Reactions: 5
JKR was my childhood hero and the reason I’m alive, I was a very depressed child/teen, and always told myself I just had to stay alive long enough to see the end of the HP series because I’d become so invested in it. Luckily, I got help before the series ended and I’m still here.
I hate that I feel embarrassed in certain circles to say how much she’s inspired and influenced me.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I hadn't heard of the Tom Felton 'liked tweet' before but just came across this pro-TRA list of how HP actors have reacted.

“To educate people”. 🙄

Who needs to be ‘educated’ by simpletons who cannot understand basic biology?

That thread is sinister. I bet they’ve got a ‘wrong think’ spread sheet that they update daily.

Reactions: 27
I cannot express enough how much I loathe the phrase ‘educate yourself’ or ‘to educate people’ - just duck off you sanctimonious arseholes. I am educated and I still think you’re wrong!

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I cannot express enough how much I loathe the phrase ‘educate yourself’ or ‘to educate people’ - just duck off you sanctimonious arseholes. I am educated and I still think you’re wrong!
It was educating myself that made me realise how insane and harmful gender ideology is. So in a way it's good that they keep telling people to educate themselves - it may not go the way they hope! 😂
But yes, what a sanctimonious, patronising thing to say.

Reactions: 22
It was educating myself that made me realise how insane and harmful gender ideology is. So in a way it's good that they keep telling people to educate themselves - it may not go the way they hope! 😂
But yes, what a sanctimonious, patronising thing to say.
50% educate yourself

50% don't go and look at her letter, I read it and it was so transphobic it will only upset you if you look

Reactions: 12
50% educate yourself

50% don't go and look at her letter, I read it and it was so transphobic it will only upset you if you look
Ah yes, the eternal paradox.

see also:
“That’s transphobic!”
“How is it transphobic?”
“Well if I have to explain it to you you’re obviously too bigoted to understand it.”
“Please try.”
“No, you’re bullying me now by aggressively demanding I justify my accusations. I have to flounce now as this is not a safe space and I feel endangered by the blatant hate speech.”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
The educate yourself (which I’ve muted on twitter along with a whole list of other words and phrases) phrase gets spouted so often it no longer has meaning. Not just on gender related subjects but anytime there’s any kind of disaster or violence in the world. 99% of the people spouting it have zero idea what they’re talking about. They just see buzzwords they can use and get that rush of self importance when they try to talk down to someone and start throwing around accusations of a person being an “ist” or a “phobe”. It happens so much that actual REAL transphobia goes unnoticed and unreported. The word transphobia (and others) just don’t have any meaning anymore because some brats on the internet Chuck it around like little
Kids playing catch.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.