J.K. Rowling #5 JK and the (Dis)order of the TRAs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cool
I learnt from this thread:
Trans women believe they can have periods
Trans women hate JKR because she doesn’t share their fantasies
If you are a trans woman in South America, based oh the article reference, then you are almost certainly a sex worker
If you are a trans woman sex worker you will be murdered because of comments on Twitter by JKR
Incidentally - it’s quite interesting to lookup Wikipedia for trans-activists
Almost ALL trans activists are trans women, suggesting that it is the pre-op male psyche which causes the activism, If you believe that violence and anger is a male dominion, then this info just confirms the idea….

Reactions: 32
Almost ALL trans activists are trans women, suggesting that it is the pre-op male psyche which causes the activism, If you believe that violence and anger is a male dominion, then this info just confirms the idea….
A well-known transwoman TRA in my city passed away recently, and every Stonewall-addled institution from the local council to the police have been posting gushing tributes - this individual was a violent bully who behaved very much like an aggressive man.

• Angry
Reactions: 20

How much do we want to bet that everyone who retweeted this loved her books before what she said about trans issues AND has never read any Pratchett books?

This feels so childish. Why does Rowling only get credited with '1 compelling story' when there were 7 books, each with their own arcs, and she's written other series while Pratchett gets every book in one long series credited to him?

• Heart
Reactions: 29

How much do we want to bet that everyone who retweeted this loved her books before what she said about trans issues AND has never read any Pratchett books?

This feels so childish. Why does Rowling only get credited with '1 compelling story' when there were 7 books, each with their own arcs, and she's written other series while Pratchett gets every book in one long series credited to him?
Having read both I'd take Rowling over Pratchett anytime. Not that there's any merit in comparing the 2 authors as they are very different.
I'd say that Rowling is much better at drawing relatable characters.

Reactions: 18
Current count is 14 published novels (7HP, 5 strikes, ACV and TI), several accompanying HP texts, 1 play, 3 FBAWTFT screenplays, but sure ‘one story’ 🙄.

Reactions: 13
Yeah random guy on Twitter, your opinion is way more important than the millions who bought her books! All I'm seeing is another fat incel who is delighting in being able to trash a woman (and pit her work against a mans, like the misogynist he is)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

What an insufferable little worm. His whole Twitter profile is woke bro anti Zuck “I’m a feminist”. Yeuck.

Does he know you can praise Pratchett without dragging JK?

Reactions: 22
People will literally write any old nonsense in an attempt to critique JK
I loved Harry Potter growing up and found Hermione to be a strong female character and a role model
Plus other great female characters in both films and books (Molly Weasley, Ginny, Luna etc)
Infuriating
Have they even read the books 🙄

Attachments

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
I loved Harry Potter growing up and found Hermione to be a strong female character and a role model
Plus other great female characters in both films and books (Molly Weasley, Ginny, Luna etc)
Infuriating
Plus there are female villains such as Bellatrix (who scared me way more than Voldemort when I read them as a kid) and Umbridge.

Reactions: 18
Infuriating
I don’t know who this lady is but she’s so wrong, I will not get into a full-blown monologue why Hermione is an amazing character and how many other wonderful and strong female characters are in the HP universe, but if this is what she understood from the books then she’s dumb as hell...not the mention Harry only survived both times because of a mother’s love but these things are probably too complicated for someone like this or was just convenient to ignore…

The funny thing is, I’ve probably seen the same thing on tumblr several times only it was clear it was written by teenagers who wanted to be edgy so it’s so funny that an adult with a verified account writes something like this and thinks she did something with it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The funny thing is, I’ve probably seen the same thing on tumblr several times only it was clear it was written by teenagers who wanted to be edgy so it’s so funny that an adult with a verified account writes something like this and thinks she did something with it 😂
The thing is, I don’t find it so funny. Mainstream media are taking tumblr posts and tweets from twitter and other parts of social media and are presenting them as fact and official public opinion. That includes a tumblr post like the example you gave, which wouldn’t look out of place these days as an article in Teen Vogue**.
**edit: what I meant by that is the over sexualised articles appearing in teen Vogue, in particular, and how throwaway “journalists” which are named such just because they have a large social media offering Are rewarded airspace to spout their simplistic views. I know I’m doing the same thing right now, but This is just a forum lol

The thing is, I don’t find it so funny. Mainstream media are taking tumblr posts and tweets from twitter and other parts of social media and are presenting them as fact and official public opinion. That includes a tumblr post like the example you gave, which wouldn’t look out of place these days as an article in Teen Vogue**.
**edit: what I meant by that is the over sexualised articles appearing in teen Vogue, in particular, and how throwaway “journalists” which are named such just because they have a large social media offering Are rewarded airspace to spout their simplistic views. I know I’m doing the same thing right now, but This is just a forum lol
You’re right, I didn’t even think about this. But the majority of buzzfeed’s articles consist of cut-together reddit comments and tumblr posts. I don’t know much about teen vogue but after I saw that they had an article on how to have anal sex, I’m not surprised…
(The article)

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
You’re right, I didn’t even think about this. But the majority of buzzfeed’s articles consist of cut-together reddit comments and tumblr posts. I don’t know much about teen vogue but after I saw that they had an article on how to have anal sex, I’m not surprised…
(The article)
They have actually written “non prostate owner” I think that might be the best one yet

ETA: and by best I mean downright ridiculous

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Don't know who Rosie Fletcher is, but in her haste to be screenshotted for a future buzzfeed "article", she has ignored the context for JKR using a male main character (obviously the rest of the post is hyperbole), which is that if the books had had a female main character they would probably never have been published. Society tells us that male protagonists are the norm - see also films, tv shows, even children's tv characters. Boys don't like reading books where the main character is a girl, whereas girls don't mind reading about boys as it's what they're used to, so that doubles the readership.
It's the same thing as why JK didn't publish as Joanne. It tells us nothing about her, but all about the society in which she was hoping to be published.

Reactions: 32
They have actually written “non prostate owner” I think that might be the best one yet

ETA: and by best I mean downright ridiculous
They've also missed the clitoris off that diagram, which I'd say is a fairly important bit of anatomy to include if you're writing an article about sex.

Reactions: 19
Don't know who Rosie Fletcher is, but in her haste to be screenshotted for a future buzzfeed "article", she has ignored the context for JKR using a male main character (obviously the rest of the post is hyperbole), which is that if the books had had a female main character they would probably never have been published. Society tells us that male protagonists are the norm - see also films, tv shows, even children's tv characters. Boys don't like reading books where the main character is a girl, whereas girls don't mind reading about boys as it's what they're used to, so that doubles the readership.
It's the same thing as why JK didn't publish as Joanne. It tells us nothing about her, but all about the society in which she was hoping to be published.
Very good point, they also seem to totally ignore when they were published when criticising.
1997 was a pretty different time in a lot of ways, they look at it from their current way of thinking where of course a female author can write about all of this stuff and still be published.

There is an entire subreddit dedicated to Harry Potter fanfiction who seem to hate the author who started it all?! They constantly say JKR wasn’t logical when creating the world and call for ‘death of the author’.

maybe find something else to like 🙄

Reactions: 12
Isn’t it weird, to be so obsessed with the Harry Potter universe, and yet be so dead set on hating it? The mental gymnastics involved in reframing everything as racist/anti-Semitic/transphobic/misogynistic 🤯

I wonder if it’s partly the Gen Z trend of refusing to grow up (so many of them dress like oversized toddlers 😄) intersecting with the Gen Z SJW trend? Also throw in a sizeable groups of autistic people with a HP special interest plus a propensity to be easily brainwashed?

Must be so tiring to force yourself to hate something you used to love so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
All the people saying they'll get their HP tattoos removed does amuse me slightly - they act like nobody has ever had a tattoo of a band or some other 'fandom' that they regret later

Caldwell, who is a transgender man, got his very first tattoo at 18 — a Death Eater symbol on his forearm.
Rowling has a history of making anti-trans statements on Twitter, and on Wednesday she published an essay on her website doubling down on those comments. In it, she writes of her belief in the importance of "biological sex" and denies the identity of transgender individuals, like Caldwell.

"I’ll still watch the movies and get some enjoyment from that, but until she stops wagging her mouth and making money off of it, I can’t disassociate her from the creation that much," he said.
I'm pretty sure she's going to keep making money off the franchise until she dies.

Finn H. is in the same boat. The 32-year-old transgender man grew up reading the books and eventually got his own Harry Potter tattoo — Harry's iconic glasses and scar on his wrist.

He also has plans to cover up the ink.

"Honestly, I didn't feel hurt by J.K.'s comments so much as well, here we go again," he told BuzzFeed News.

"I'm used to people with large platforms denying science, unfortunately. I've been thinking about covering up my tattoo for a while now because of her past comments, but this was the last straw."
Ah yes... denying science :rolleyes:

Molly Knox Ostertag is a graphic novelist in Los Angeles who writes stories about magic — but also about gender identity and self-acceptance. She's cisgender, but offered on Twitter to create cover-up art for Harry Potter tattoos for transgender people or in exchange for a donation to a transgender organization.
I'd rather people donate to tattoo artists who cover up sex trafficking / human trafficking tattoos but I suppose that's a way to slip in self-promotion for her books.

"In the fandom for a while now, there’s been talk about how Harry Potter doesn’t belong to her anymore, it belongs to us, and how the good and beautiful things that came out of the Harry Potter didn’t come out of the books themselves but of the community," they said.

They have contributed to that community themself in writing fanfiction and attending conventions.

"The beautiful feelings of acceptance and love that we get out of these books is in my view at least, knowing that so many other people have read them and had the same experience I have, isn’t necessarily something J.K. Rowling gave us but something we created for ourselves," they said.
Sorry, I'm pretty sure Harry Potter legally belongs to her, and not to people who write Dramione prom fanfiction

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.