Israeli-Palestinian Conflict #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
USA - “trust me bro”
Iraq war springs to mind
I was at university when the marches against the Iraq war took place. I went along with one of my flatmates and I'm proud I did that even though we didn't manage to stop the invasion of Iraq. Another flatmate had friends round when we were leaving for the march and I suggested they come too. I will never forget that one of them said to me "I trust the government's decision as they have all the facts and they know better than we do".

Honestly as messed up as it is I thank my lucky stars I grew up through the troubles in NI and I know exactly how much faith to put in the official government position (clue - it ranges from vanishingly little to none)

Sorry for the little me rail there.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I was at university when the marches against the Iraq war took place. I went along with one of my flatmates and I'm proud I did that even though we didn't manage to stop the invasion of Iraq. Another flatmate had friends round when we were leaving for the march and I suggested they come too. I will never forget that one of them said to me "I trust the government's decision as they have all the facts and they know better than we do".

Honestly as messed up as it is I thank my lucky stars I grew up through the troubles in NI and I know exactly how much faith to put in the official government position (clue - it ranges from vanishingly little to none)

If we fail to stand for the oppressed if our time comes how can we hope for people to stand for us.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The fuel is not intended for hospitals. Neither is it for water pumps, or sewage disposal. Just trucks.

Israel approves diesel fuel for UN trucks in Gaza: Report

Reuters news agency has reported Israel has approved 24,000 liters of diesel for UN trucks in Gaza, citing a humanitarian source.

The report comes after the UNWRA, the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, said its operations would need to halt due to a lack of fuel. Israel has barred fuel from entering the bombarded enclave, saying it could be used by fighters.

The fuel is only meant for UN trucks, and not for hospitals, the source said, according to Reuters. The source added that the US has pressured the UN to accept the fuel, the source added.

Israel and the UN did not immediately respond to or confirm the report. Hamas had not immediately respond to the report.

The UN has repeatedly appealed for fuel to be allowed into Gaza, saying beyond aid deliveries, it is needed to power hospitals, clean water pumps, and sewage disposal.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/live...aeli-attacks-displace-700000-children-in-gaza

• Angry
Reactions: 8

My first massive demo was the anti poll tax one that ended up in a riot. That opened my eyes to a few things about how some of the media and police operate

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I will always find it hard to believe someone who simply states "I have proof."
If you have it, show it. What would Hamas gain from proof being shown of their own operations? If indeed Israeli and US intelligence have evidence of Hamas being based in the hospitals, surely simply saying they are aware would tip Hamas off, and they'd move to safety at that point, rather than needing to see the evidence released before moving on?

Governments who have lied about their evidence previously to justify acts of warfare that had no basis stating they have "proof" to back up the current war crimes doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This seems very strange as I read earlier that Starmer was going to allow a free vote in this? I am not saying that the Telegraph is making it up, but they are becoming more like the Mail by the day. It wouldn’t look good sacking 10 of his front bench just as the Tories are in meltdown. I guess we will find out soon. 🤷🏻

Reactions: 9
I will always find it hard to believe someone who simply states "I have proof."
If you have it, show it. What would Hamas gain from proof being shown of their own operations? If indeed Israeli and US intelligence have evidence of Hamas being based in the hospitals, surely simply saying they are aware would tip Hamas off, and they'd move to safety at that point, rather than needing to see the evidence released before moving on?

Governments who have lied about their evidence previously to justify acts of warfare that had no basis stating they have "proof" to back up the current war crimes doesn't fill me with confidence.
They don’t have anything apart from made up crap and Biden is gonna have egg on his face when it all comes out just like he did with the forty babies.
It’s possible to fake evidence but tunnels would be hard without someone noticing. The Israeli military have made similar claims before and they’ve been proven false so yeh they have form.

Reactions: 6
This seems very strange as I read earlier that Starmer was going to allow a free vote in this? I am not saying that the Telegraph is making it up, but they are becoming more like the Mail by the day. It wouldn’t look good sacking 10 of his front bench just as the Tories are in meltdown. I guess we will find out soon. 🤷🏻

[URL
unfurl="true"]https://news.sky.com/story/families...nding-action-from-benjamin-netanyahu-13008313[/URL]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Thousands of children murdered with full endorsement from the White House but he expects us to be bowled over by this. Awful big of you Joe.

• Angry
  • Sad
Israeli military: Gaza hospitals risk losing protection

As Israeli attacks in the vicinity of al-Shifa Hospital continue, Israeli military spokesperson Daniel Hagari has threatened that hospitals across the Gaza Strip could lose their protection under international humanitarian law.

Israel claims that Hamas uses the hospitals as military bases, a claim the Palestinian group and international medics who have worked in the hospitals deny. The Israelis have presented no hard evidence to support their claim.

“In recent weeks we have stressed, again and again, that because of Hamas’s use of hospitals for military purposes, [the hospitals] will lose special protection in the international court,” Hagari said in a press conference.

Israel does not have the authority to make decisions on whether international humanitarian law is applicable and human rights groups have repeatedly called on Israel to not attack hospitals, where patients continue to be treated.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/live...aeli-attacks-displace-700000-children-in-gaza

• Angry
Reactions: 6

[URL
unfurl="true"]https://news.sky.com/story/families...nding-action-from-benjamin-netanyahu-13008313[/URL]
Why are they working soooo hard to keep a Genocide going despicable

Two interesting videos

First one may have come up twice, sorry about that

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Consequences of being a member of the EU , plenty of cash but no voice, you must stay in line.

• Sad
How many? Any idea? Given there hasn’t been an election since 2006 I’m not sure that is an argument that holds up. Hamas killed many moderate Palestinian politicians and rule by fear. Not that there will be an election any time soon do you really thing that the people of Gaza would vote for more terror?
US President George W Bush was responsible for Hamas taking control of Gaza.

The Middle East
April 2008 Issue

The Gaza Bombshell

After failing to anticipate Hamas’s victory over Fatah in the 2006 Palestinian election, the White House cooked up yet another scandalously covert and self-defeating Middle East debacle: part Iran-contra, part Bay of Pigs. With confidential documents, corroborated by outraged former and current U.S. officials, the author reveals how President Bush, Condoleezza Rice, and Deputy National-Security Adviser Elliott Abrams backed an armed force under Fatah strongman Muhammad Dahlan, touching off a bloody civil war in Gaza and leaving Hamas stronger than ever.

According to Dahlan, it was Bush who had pushed legislative elections in the Palestinian territories in January 2006, despite warnings that Fatah was not ready. After Hamas—whose 1988 charter committed it to the goal of driving Israel into the sea—won control of the parliament, Bush made another, deadlier miscalculation.

Vanity Fair has obtained confidential documents, since corroborated by sources in the U.S. and Palestine, which lay bare a covert initiative, approved by Bush and implemented by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Deputy National Security Adviser Elliott Abrams, to provoke a Palestinian civil war. The plan was for forces led by Dahlan, and armed with new weapons supplied at America’s behest, to give Fatah the muscle it needed to remove the democratically elected Hamas-led government from power. (The State Department declined to comment.)

But the secret plan backfired, resulting in a further setback for American foreign policy under Bush. Instead of driving its enemies out of power, the U.S.-backed Fatah fighters inadvertently provoked Hamas to seize total control of Gaza.

Within the Bush administration, the Palestinian policy set off a furious debate. One of its critics is David Wurmser, the avowed neoconservative, who resigned as Vice President Dick Cheney’s chief Middle East adviser in July 2007, a month after the Gaza coup.

Wurmser accuses the Bush administration of “engaging in a dirty war in an effort to provide a corrupt dictatorship [led by Abbas] with victory.” He believes that Hamas had no intention of taking Gaza until Fatah forced its hand. “It looks to me that what happened wasn’t so much a coup by Hamas but an attempted coup by Fatah that was pre-empted before it could happen,” Wurmser says.

In a speech in the White House Rose Garden on June 24, 2002, President Bush announced that American policy in the Middle East was turning in a fundamentally new direction.

Arafat was still in power at the time, and many in the U.S. and Israel blamed him for wrecking Clinton’s micro-managed peace efforts by launching the second intifada—a renewed revolt, begun in 2000, in which more than 1,000 Israelis and 4,500 Palestinians had died. Bush said he wanted to give Palestinians the chance to choose new leaders, ones who were not “compromised by terror.” In place of Arafat’s all-powerful presidency, Bush said, “the Palestinian parliament should have the full authority of a legislative body.”

Arafat died in November 2004, and Abbas, his replacement as Fatah leader, was elected president in January 2005. Elections for the Palestinian parliament, known officially as the Legislative Council, were originally set for July 2005, but later postponed by Abbas until January 2006.

Dahlan says he warned his friends in the Bush administration that Fatah still wasn’t ready for elections in January. Decades of self-preservationist rule by Arafat had turned the party into a symbol of corruption and inefficiency—a perception Hamas found it easy to exploit. Splits within Fatah weakened its position further: in many places, a single Hamas candidate ran against several from Fatah.

“Everyone was against the elections,” Dahlan says. Everyone except Bush. “Bush decided, ‘I need an election. I want elections in the Palestinian Authority.’ Everyone is following him in the American administration, and everyone is nagging Abbas, telling him, ‘The president wants elections.’ Fine. For what purpose?”

The elections went forward as scheduled. On January 25, Hamas won 56 percent of the seats in the Legislative Council.

Few inside the U.S. administration had predicted the result, and there was no contingency plan to deal with it. “I’ve asked why nobody saw it coming,” Condoleezza Rice told reporters. “I don’t know anyone who wasn’t caught off guard by Hamas’s strong showing.”

“Everyone blamed everyone else,” says an official with the Department of Defense. “We sat there in the Pentagon and said, ‘Who the duck recommended this?’ ”

Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/04/gaza200804

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Maybe he’s got Israeli/ Jewish backers?

Between this and Saudi buying up influence over our politics I'm just done with it all. Also Qatar got away with killing thousands of construction workers through negligence because of the world cup. Everything is for sale.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.