Israeli-Palestinian Conflict #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is the reply I received from my Labour MP
Wishy-washy politician talk to say 'Yeah I didn't vote for ceasefire, like my constituents wanted, but please don't eject me from my £86.000 cushy job. Here, have some whitewash reasons'. They handled the ceasefire vote horribly, from beginning to end 🤦‍♀️

It will be interesting to see how many members from the far-left/left side of the Labour Party will switch to the Green Party. Not that it will have an impact on the next GE but it could bring a few Green MPs into the Commons.

Just curious. But do you know anyone who is, openly, supportive of Israel?
Friends, no. Family, probably some but our contacts are very limited. I work in politics/political science related job, so have to hear a lot of opinions... But, thankfully, my closest/favourites co-workers aren't drinking the Israeli kool-aid. Honestly, Israel's war has become a litmus test for me, I will never look at someone the same way if I learn they support their war crimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This is the response from my MP. Absolute bastard.

Thank you for contacting me about the situation in Israel and Gaza.

The events unfolding in the Middle East are truly horrific. Israel has suffered the most horrendous terror attack in its history at the hands of Hamas, and Palestinian civilians in Gaza are experiencing a humanitarian disaster. My thoughts are with all those affected.

The UK recognises the legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people, and supports a lasting solution for Israelis and Palestinians alike. However, Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people or their aspirations; it offers nothing for them other than more terror and more bloodshed. I therefore support Israel’s right to defend itself against Hamas, deter further incursions and strengthen its security for the long term.

However, the loss of every innocent life is a tragedy, and the UK Government has repeatedly stressed that Israel must take every precaution to minimise civilian casualties, in line with international humanitarian law. Ministers continue to press Israel to ensure that its campaign is targeted against Hamas leaders, militants and military infrastructure, and the UK Foreign Secretary has also called for discipline, professionalism and restraint from the Israeli military.

The rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza is deeply troubling, and I welcome the extensive efforts the Government is making to ensure that vital aid reaches the Palestinian people. Since 7 October, the UK has made available £30 million of additional aid to the Occupied Palestinian Territories, more than doubling our existing aid commitment for this year (£27 million). I have also been assured that the UK will consider further support depending on changing humanitarian needs on the ground.

Funding alone is not enough, and work is ongoing with international partners to increase the flow of aid into Gaza. While the opening of the Rafah border crossing is a major step forward, the UK has confirmed that it will continue to work with Egypt, Israel and other international partners to try and increase the flow of support. The UK has also been clear that it recognises the need for humanitarian pauses to deliver aid safely and in a sustained way, a point agreed with G7 partners in Tokyo on 8 November.

I note your calls for the UK to push for a ceasefire.

The UK is working via all diplomatic channels—bilaterally and collectively in the region—to ensure that this conflict, which has cost so many lives already, can be brought to a halt.

However, the reality is that Hamas have no interest in a ceasefire. They have no interest in resolution, have never attempted to engage in a two-state solution and have made every attempt to collapse the Oslo process. Furthermore, a unilateral and unconditional ceasefire would simply allow Hamas to entrench their position and continue their attacks. Indeed, Hamas have reiterated their intentions, stating clearly that "we will repeat the October 7 attack time and time again until Israel are annihilated". I must therefore reiterate that Israel has the right to take action to defend itself and to recover its hostages, and the UK, while respecting that, will continue to encourage it to adhere to international law and protect civilians.

For the above reasons, I voted against amendment (h) on 15 November.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
and Palestinian civilians in Gaza are experiencing a humanitarian disaster.
By the hand of whom? Listening to him, you'd think it's because of an earthquake and not the Israeli's government :rolleyes:

However, the reality is that Hamas have no interest in a ceasefire. They have no interest in resolution, have never attempted to engage in a two-state solution and have made every attempt to collapse the Oslo process.
Damn, that's not even 'politican talk' anymore, it's straight up lies: Hamas has been pretty vocal about being open to a ceasefire deal. Also, Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated by a far-right Israeli opposing the Oslo Accords and Netanyahu has been against a two-state solution since 1996 (sometimes pussyfooting but mostly against).

How politicians sleep at night, it will always be a mystery...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
This is the reply I received from my Labour MP
Thank you for contacting me again on 14th November 2023 about the conflict in the Middle East. I continue to be deeply concerned by what is happening and want to see this terrible situation come to an end as soon as possible..

Whilst I know that many of my constituents are already aware of my view on the appalling situation on the ground in Gaza, and specifically the need for a huge increase in international aid and the necessity for international law to be upheld, I recognise many of you have raised the specific question of the votes on the King’s Speech which took place on Wednesday, 15th November. I – along with many other members of the Parliamentary Labour Party – encouraged senior colleagues to submit a Labour amendment calling for the violence to end as soon as possible and setting out a means by which we can ensure international law is upheld.

Labour’s amendment was explicit in setting out a commitment to the rules-based international order, international humanitarian law and the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court (ICC) to address the conduct of all parties in Gaza and Hamas’ attack in Israel. This is a crucial point, albeit one the Government has thus far not properly addressed. More importantly it affirms that we all want to see an end to the violence in Israel and Palestine and to take the steps needed to secure an enduring cessation of fighting as soon as possible. However, I do not believe that an immediate cessation of hostilities is realistic or can be delivered in practice: these objectives are always hard won and involve diplomacy and negotiation and it will take time to bring this about.

For reference, below is a copy of Labour’s amendment:

“and submit to Your Majesty that this House wishes to see an end to the violence in Israel and Palestine; unequivocally condemns the horrific terrorist attack and murder of civilians by Hamas, calls for the immediate release of all hostages and reaffirms Israel’s right to defend its citizens from terrorism; believes all human life is equal and that there has been too much suffering, including far too many deaths of innocent civilians and children, over the past month in Gaza; reaffirms the UK’s commitment to the rules based international order, international humanitarian law and the jurisdiction of the ICC to address the conduct of all parties in Gaza and Hamas’s attacks in Israel; calls on Israel to protect hospitals and lift the siege conditions allowing food, water, electricity, medicine and fuel into Gaza; requests the Government continue to work with the international community to prevent a wider escalation of the conflict in the region, guarantee that people in Gaza who are forced to flee during this conflict can return to their homes and seek an end to the expansion of illegal settlements and settler violence in the West Bank; and, while acknowledging the daily humanitarian pauses to allow in aid and the movement of civilians, believe they must be longer to deliver humanitarian assistance on a scale that begins to meet the desperate needs of the people of Gaza, which is a necessary step to an enduring cessation of fighting as soon as possible and a credible, diplomatic and political process to deliver the lasting peace of a two-state solution.”

To reiterate – because there has been a lot of misleading information circulating – I confirm that I voted for an amendment which, amongst other things, called for an end to the violence in Israel and Palestine; called on Israel to protect hospitals and lift the siege conditions allowing food, water, electricity, medicine and fuel into Gaza; sought a guarantee that people in Gaza who are forced to flee during this conflict can return to their homes and sought an end to the expansion of illegal settlements and settler violence in the West Bank.

While the Labour amendment – which the Government used its overwhelmingly majority to block – acknowledged the daily humanitarian pauses to allow in aid and the movement of civilians, it stated that they must be longer to deliver humanitarian assistance on a scale that begins to meet the desperate needs of the people of Gaza, which is a necessary step to an enduring cessation of fighting as soon as possible and a credible, diplomatic and political process to deliver the lasting peace of a two-state solution.

All of us want peace and all of us want to see the loss of life come to an end.

Kind regards
Is this person for real ? They’ve admitted that the ICC should investigate hmm why if Israel is within international law ? Why would the Palestinians not be getting substantial international aid already no mention as to who is blocking that 🙄 ( war crime)
No mention of the staff and journalists and medical staff killed, just a load of justification for a wipeout of women and kids.

Reactions: 12
Just curious. But do you know anyone who is, openly, supportive of Israel?
I found out for certain last night that we are having an Israeli joining us for Christmas at ours. She is a neighbour of my sister in law, her husband died a few years back and she doesn’t have any family so often joins us for celebrations at my sister in laws but we are hosting Christmas this year and have invited her. She’s a nice lady but I’ve clashed with her before on Isreal/Palestine. NGL I’m really fkng scared my anger will boil over if we get onto this subject and she defends this violence. My husband and kids are very much pro Palestinian, or let’s just say are pro humanitarian, but are probably more “political” (read less of an aggressive gobshite) than me and I’ve already been warned to keep a lid on it! I mean I’m already raging that I feel I’m shouting into the void about Palestine and have been for decades, how can I be gracious when it’s my home, my family and my hosting, which is gonna be weeks of planning, shopping and hard work to prepare food and accommodation for 13 people and then feel like the bloody bad one? Any tips from anyone 🤷‍♀️ For context this lady was born on Isreal, but moved to the uk as child maybe 7ish, she’s very pro Isreali but I don’t know what she will think about how this is being handled, she may surprise me.
---
In other news
Palestine playing Oz in World Cup qualifiers tonight and the Aussie team are giving some of their match fees to Palestinian aid ❤ 😢

There is talk of a breakthrough in some kind of truce deal and release of hostages. Not sure if this is release of Israeli hostages alone in return for allowing in aid or if some of Palestinian hostages will also be released. Maybe a glimmer of hope but Isreal had a nice night of blowing up Gaza 😏

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
This is the response from my MP. Absolute bastard.

Thank you for contacting me about the situation in Israel and Gaza.

The events unfolding in the Middle East are truly horrific. Israel has suffered the most horrendous terror attack in its history at the hands of Hamas, and Palestinian civilians in Gaza are experiencing a humanitarian disaster. My thoughts are with all those affected.

The UK recognises the legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people, and supports a lasting solution for Israelis and Palestinians alike. However, Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people or their aspirations; it offers nothing for them other than more terror and more bloodshed. I therefore support Israel’s right to defend itself against Hamas, deter further incursions and strengthen its security for the long term.

However, the loss of every innocent life is a tragedy, and the UK Government has repeatedly stressed that Israel must take every precaution to minimise civilian casualties, in line with international humanitarian law. Ministers continue to press Israel to ensure that its campaign is targeted against Hamas leaders, militants and military infrastructure, and the UK Foreign Secretary has also called for discipline, professionalism and restraint from the Israeli military.

The rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza is deeply troubling, and I welcome the extensive efforts the Government is making to ensure that vital aid reaches the Palestinian people. Since 7 October, the UK has made available £30 million of additional aid to the Occupied Palestinian Territories, more than doubling our existing aid commitment for this year (£27 million). I have also been assured that the UK will consider further support depending on changing humanitarian needs on the ground.

Funding alone is not enough, and work is ongoing with international partners to increase the flow of aid into Gaza. While the opening of the Rafah border crossing is a major step forward, the UK has confirmed that it will continue to work with Egypt, Israel and other international partners to try and increase the flow of support. The UK has also been clear that it recognises the need for humanitarian pauses to deliver aid safely and in a sustained way, a point agreed with G7 partners in Tokyo on 8 November.

I note your calls for the UK to push for a ceasefire.

The UK is working via all diplomatic channels—bilaterally and collectively in the region—to ensure that this conflict, which has cost so many lives already, can be brought to a halt.

However, the reality is that Hamas have no interest in a ceasefire. They have no interest in resolution, have never attempted to engage in a two-state solution and have made every attempt to collapse the Oslo process. Furthermore, a unilateral and unconditional ceasefire would simply allow Hamas to entrench their position and continue their attacks. Indeed, Hamas have reiterated their intentions, stating clearly that "we will repeat the October 7 attack time and time again until Israel are annihilated". I must therefore reiterate that Israel has the right to take action to defend itself and to recover its hostages, and the UK, while respecting that, will continue to encourage it to adhere to international law and protect civilians.

For the above reasons, I voted against amendment (h) on 15 November.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.
What a load of horseshit. There’s no excuse for not supporting a ceasefire. None.

Reactions: 11
I found out for certain last night that we are having an Israeli joining us for Christmas at ours. She is a neighbour of my sister in law, her husband died a few years back and she doesn’t have any family so often joins us for celebrations at my sister in laws but we are hosting Christmas this year and have invited her. She’s a nice lady but I’ve clashed with her before on Isreal/Palestine. NGL I’m really fkng scared my anger will boil over if we get onto this subject and she defends this violence. My husband and kids are very much pro Palestinian, or let’s just say are pro humanitarian, but are probably more “political” (read less of an aggressive gobshite) than me and I’ve already been warned to keep a lid on it! I mean I’m already raging that I feel I’m shouting into the void about Palestine and have been for decades, how can I be gracious when it’s my home, my family and my hosting, which is gonna be weeks of planning, shopping and hard work to prepare food and accommodation for 13 people and then feel like the bloody bad one? Any tips from anyone 🤷‍♀️ For context this lady was born on Isreal, but moved to the uk as child maybe 7ish, she’s very pro Isreali but I don’t know what she will think about how this is being handled, she may surprise me.
---
In other news
Palestine playing Oz in World Cup qualifiers tonight and the Aussie team are giving some of their match fees to Palestinian aid ❤ 😢

There is talk of a breakthrough in some kind of truce deal and release of hostages. Not sure if this is release of Israeli hostages alone in return for allowing in aid or if some of Palestinian hostages will also be released. Maybe a glimmer of hope but Isreal had a nice night of blowing up Gaza 😏
Well all I can say is that you’re a better person than I am 🤣🤣 I’m so petty I would be sabotaging the dinner with laxatives thinking here you go you’re full of 💩 have that. Don’t get me wrong that would only be for someone Openly justifying this Genocide not any innocent party caught up in this . How are you gonna keep a lid on it that’s gonna be tough especially if it gets worse 🥲
ETA I am partly joking 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 7
This fuckwit should be sectioned, not put in any role of authority or as a spokesperspon/ ambassador for anything. In fact, she's actually making the case for Israel go down the toilet, as she's such a bad advertisement for the country and it's government with her loony murderous ravings about all Palestinians being 'Khamas' in answer to any question that anyone poses to her. She's bleeping nuts.
Why do people say Khamas when it isn't correct?

Reactions: 5
---
In other news

Assuming that the Israeli lady is Jewish, why would she be celebrating Christmas?

Reactions: 4
Did the IDF offer an excuse for attacking the Indonesian hospital?
---
Israel has recalled the ambassador to avoid the embarrassment of being expelled.

Israel recalls ambassador ahead of South African parliamentary vote

Israel has recalled its ambassador to South Africa “for consultations” ahead of a parliamentary vote to decide the fate of the Israeli embassy.

“Following the latest South African statements, the Ambassador of Israel to Pretoria has been recalled to Jerusalem for consultations,” Israel’s ministry of foreign affairs posted late Monday on X.

A vote is scheduled to be held in South Africa’s parliament on a motion to shut down the Israeli embassy and cut all ties with Israel until a ceasefire is implemented in Gaza.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/live...ics-patients-remain-trapped-in-gaza-hospitals

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.