Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Regular non #AD declarer Jo Good (aka Middle Aged Minx) is at it again. On her YouTube vlog today she films a visit to a clinic for a consultation about varicose veins, which she said she paid for. While there she was given a (her words) "freebie" treatment for the pelvic floor.

Jo name-checked the clinic, and the doctor, and gave the address. Despite this she said (many times) that it was not sponsored, that she was not paid. This grabby, elderly minx ignores the fact that one does not have to be paid in cash to be considered in receipt of a benefit. She siad she is considering returning to the clinic for treatment of the varicose veins.

The ASA guidelines would require this video to be marked #AD or #Promotion, and YouTube itself requires creators to declare if each video they upload contains and ads or promotions.

20210502_142548.jpg

20210502_142448.jpg

20210502_154237.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Jo Good AKA MiddleAgedMinx, has just posted a promo for a beauty brand on IG with no mention of it being an #AD, urging people to watch the full ad on the brand's Insta. If her previous form is anything to go by she'll probably do the same on her weekly YT vlog next Sunday.

On her BBC Radio London afternoon show she often mentions her YouTube channel, which is a commercial enterprise, not in keeping with BBC's guidelines.
20210210_215413.jpg

Hat tip to @dreamybutterfly for flagging this on the Jo Good thread.

Read Jo Good Middleagedminx Tattle thread here.

Last edited:

freebiesgalore

@VeeJayBee just told me about this thread, I hadn’t realised it existed. I’m getting fed up with these scammers not doing the right thing by their followers and viewers.

Just reported Nadine Baggott this morning for an IGTV she made ‘shop with me’ in Superdrug. She waltzes round pointing out all her favourite brands and products, all of which she works with and is paid to promote - she brought out a beauty box with Superdrug not too long ago. But, nothing to mention it’s an advert, or anything about her relationship with Superdrug or any of the other brands. I don’t even know if this actually breaches the ASA rules, but it feels really wrong and disingenuous - any new viewers, or anyone unsuspecting who watches it wouldn’t have a clue that she’s got a vested interest in promoting those products and brands. So sly and shady.
Contact the businesses too, it’s the only way to stop this.

Yel

Chatty Member
at least this AD is as poorly done as the actual text. white on white. do these people know nothing about accessibility?

Screenshot_20221123-160423_Instagram.jpg

• Wow

Mustard

VIP Member
Jo Good Middle Aged Minx again. Constant mention of stress due to her gruelling 3hr evening radio shify making her skin spotty blah blah was of course leading up to......... an AD for a face mask.

As usual she has not indicated in the title of the video that it is an ad, she has just put the affiliate link in the description box.
View attachment 770613
View attachment 770614

View attachment 770629
She also went to a new London Hotel in her latest YouTube vlog. Constant mention of the name of the hotel and the restaurant there would indicate it was a comp, but how can we know? Her usual lack of transparency leaves no one being able to trust her. If it wasn't a freebie she would have proudly said "not sponsored" and probably wouldn't have name checked. How can anyone trust her?
So true. I presume if she left an affiliate link for the face mask (which she said she would do)she had on her flog means she would get some sort of cut but as I didn’t click on the link I don’t know where it went to.

Jo Good Middle Aged Minx again. Constant mention of stress due to her gruelling 3hr evening radio shify making her skin spotty blah blah was of course leading up to......... an AD for a face mask.

As usual she has not indicated in the title of the video that it is an ad, she has just put the affiliate link in the description box.
View attachment 770613
View attachment 770614

View attachment 770629
She also went to a new London Hotel in her latest YouTube vlog. Constant mention of the name of the hotel and the restaurant there would indicate it was a comp, but how can we know? Her usual lack of transparency leaves no one being able to trust her. If it wasn't a freebie she would have proudly said "not sponsored" and probably wouldn't have name checked. How can anyone trust her?
Until you said this about the hotel possibly being comped, it hadn’t occurred to me.😬

Last edited:

JulieScoobyDoo

VIP Member
None of these guidelines from the CMA or ASA are new. Influencers have been bound by them for years but choose to ignore them. The ASA need to clamp
Down on all practices because more and more people are not declaring ads properly. This morning Em Clarkson has buried the AD after you open the caption for her Ninja air fryer which is against the guidelines and she knows it

their managers and agencies need to tell them to sort their shit out and put ad clearly at the start, on ever story and that it includes anything and anything given to them. How hard can it be?

JulieScoobyDoo

VIP Member
I've never seen this but thanks for flagging. Is he transparent with his ads? Does he clearly disclose if a post is a PAID PROMOTION, or #AD?

Does he give out his Insta handle while he is on air? Even if he doesn't, anyone who lands on his social media accounts could well beliveve he's actually recommending certain things from a medical perspective, instead of because he has commercial agreements with certain companies.
I am not sure if he gives out his insta name on the show but if you look at his grid there is an ad for pans that only marked with #gifted at the bottom of the caption so it is buried. There is also one for bedding from Marks and Spencer that is also only #gifted, buried in the caption.

• Angry

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Yet again Jo Good Middle Aged Minx puts up her weekly YouTube vlog, shows freebies she got from a brand, name checks them multiple times but doesn't mention it as an #AD in the title of the vlog, nor the description.
20210228_130625.jpg

20210228_130647.jpg

20210228_130602.jpg

Dear Jo Good.You are advertising the brand by showing their products and name checking them, it's an #AD whether the brand 'sponsors' the vlog or not. Surely you as a BBC broadcaster should understand this. #ASA

emoelmo86

The meal prep king clearly advertising his own stuff, never puts an ad, skinny foods/grenade bars. He blocks you as soon as you say something.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Jo Good is still doing ads on her vlog and Insta without marking them ASA compliantly. Occasionally puts #AD on YT but hides it in the YT description box, which she know won't be seen if viewed on a TV.

DEAR JO: THAT IS WHY #AD SHOULD BE IN THE VLOG TITLE, AND THE "PAID PROMOTION BANNER" MUST APPEAR ON THE SCREEN WHILE THE VIDEO PLAYS!

But even worse that she continues to brazenly use the BBC to promote herself, seemingly with impunity. At about 20 minutes in to her BBC Radio London show she did a straight-up plug of her Instahandle. As usual pretending it's so listeners can get a clue to her outfit for an event she is doing, but her true intention was more likely to lead listeners to see her whole grid, full of ads and links to her monitesed YouTube channel. The BBC should not be used for presenters to push their personal commercial ventures.

• Wow

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
More non-tranparency from Jo Good. Advertising dog food without declaring it as an ad. For background, her old dog Matilda died of "a heart attack" then - in a stroke of good timing? - few weeks later she collected a new pedigree puppy. She had always called her Matilda "clickbait" and it seems as if Myrtle will have to sing for her raw supper too...
20220214_220044.jpg

Let's not forget that Jo Good exploits her BBC radio show, on every episode she urges listeners to visit her socials, which are simply advertising platforms. The BBC seem to be turning a blind eye to this behaviour of many of its presenters.

• Angry

LewyB

I've seen that sly 'Rhitrition' (and her other profile of 'Rhi') to hide her ads in an obscure way by either not mentioning it, r adding the word 'gifted' in tiny font, or just making the 'ad' font incredibly small. She's just such a disingenuous sneak and tries to bag as many freebis from brands as she can, whilst most of her posts and stories are always merching something.
It’s actually against the code of ethics for the nutrition body she is signed to. The AfN. She is supposed to declare things such as ads fair and square with a hashtag too I believe.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
I have lifted this neat summary of the ASA's guidlines for influencers from another thread, I don't want pester the poster with an @

But this isn’t the only type of arrangement that counts. If you have any sort of commercial relationship with the brand, such as being paid to be an ambassador, or you’re given products, gifts, services, trips, hotel stays etc. for free, this is all likely to qualify as ‘a payment [or other reciprocal arrangement]’. There’s nothing wrong with getting paid to create content, but you need to be upfront about this with your audience

Both the ASA and the CMA advise using labels that say it how it is, in a way that consumers understand e.g.; • Ad • Advert • Advertising • Advertisement • Advertisement Feature Labels like this can be used with or without a ‘#’. Other labels are riskier, and although it will always depend on the wider content and context, we usually recommend staying away from; • Supported by/Funded by • In association with • Thanks to [brand] for making this possible • Just @ [mentioning the brand] • Gifted • Sponsorship/Sponsored

from

JulieScoobyDoo

VIP Member
The BBC has pulled up Helen Skelton for promoting brands on her Instagram. So how has Jo Good got away with her antics for so long? In fact Jo is worse, she actually name checks brands, and gives her social handle while on air on the BBC. She also has representatives of brands on her shows as 'guests'.

View attachment 2360339
View attachment 2360372
Why isn’t Dr Ranj being pulled up? His instagram is littered with ads and he works on the BBC but nobody is touching him.