How much do you spend on shampoo and conditioner?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I use anything by Loreal Elvive - All of them absolutely divine. I have very thick curly hair (which I straighten every single time I wash it every 3 days). My hair has never been damaged or coloured, its my only trait I accept compliments on! I really want to get it coloured but I get so put off with all the horror stories! My sister has been dying her brown hair blonde for the last few years and right now she looks like someone has shat on her head with her blonde roots down to her ears :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, it makes such a difference, im dark and curly haired naturally, grew it long, dyed it red, went from red to blonde, had to have an undercut because it was so dry and knotty unterneath and it was just awful trying to do anything with it. I recently went dark again thank goodness but im very, very grey and cannot wait for my natural hair colour and texture to really come through again. ❤

Reactions: 1
Honestly, it makes such a difference, im dark and curly haired naturally, grew it long, dyed it red, went from red to blonde, had to have an undercut because it was so dry and knotty unterneath and it was just awful trying to do anything with it. I recently went dark again thank goodness but im very, very grey and cannot wait for my natural hair colour and texture to really come through again. ❤
Aww, I find that happens with a lot of people especially after going blonde! Then they all resort to hair extensions once they've had to chop off all the damaged hair. Hair extensions also cause bald spots too, due to them pulling on your scalp. Its a never ending vicious cycle.

I have black hair thats brown in the sun (we all say this right?) so I think I'd go for a caramel brown balayage to start and then once I get more bold, go for blonde but I'll have to be strict and stop the treatment once I notice any damage or fried ends.

• Heart
I’ve tried a lot over the years from the super cheap to the fairly expensive and I’ve never found the expensive ranges to be worth it. I’ve now used Pantene two in one shampoo/conditioner for several years and my hair is in better condition than it was in when I used expensive ranges.

Reactions: 2
Aww, I find that happens with a lot of people especially after going blonde! Then they all resort to hair extensions once they've had to chop off all the damaged hair. Hair extensions also cause bald spots too, due to them pulling on your scalp. Its a never ending vicious cycle.

I have black hair thats brown in the sun (we all say this right?) so I think I'd go for a caramel brown balayage to start and then once I get more bold, go for blonde but I'll have to be strict and stop the treatment once I notice any damage or fried ends.
Very sensible of you, and you will know if tou like it ithout a very extreme change. you see soooooo many people want ice white hair from naturally very dark after one session and its a bad idea, it just doesnt happen.

This is probably peak-lockdown, but I've stopped using shampoo and conditioner. I just wash my hair with water now. It's honestly never been healthier & easier to manage. It doesn't stink or get greasy easily, which I was worried about.
I would love to try no shampoo, but does ur hair still not be greasy when just using water?

The Body Shop banana shampoo and conditioner works wonders on my hair.

It isn’t damaged as I’ve never dyed it and rarely use heat, but it can still be fairly dull looking and flat - it’s quite fine but I have a LOT of it!
I use the £1 knock-off version of this by XHC and it's pretty decent. No silicones or SLS and it's smells great (just a shame the scent doesn't last very well). I've tried more expensive shampoos like OGX but I've not really been wowed by any - so I'm happy to enough with a £1 😅

I've been working my way through a bottle of Lidl's cheap apple shampoo during lockdown, just to see really. It's not bad imo but I prefer using it as a kind of 'cleansing' shampoo rather than day to day.

I love the John Freida Detox shampoo and conditioner. My hair is highlighted but it really makes it look and feel good.

It's about £6 per bottle but I only wash my hair twice a week so lasts a while and it smells incredible!

I use Wella professionals fusion shampoo. I buy it in 1l bottles coming to around £35-40 if you buy from particular places online with a discount code. I last bought it in January so a L usually lasts me around 5 months I wash my hair 2- 3 times a week.

I usually have a few options on the go at a time. So cheaper options like John Frieda or Charles Worthington and some more expensive ones. Bumble and Bumble, Kerastase and Redken are my go-to. I have used Oribe and IGK in the past too. I try to never pay full price for shampoo and conditioner if I can help it!

Can anyone recommend anything for super frizzy hair? My hair is straight but it’s so frizzy and I’m so embarrassed! I have to wash it a lot because of how greasy it is too. I realise this won’t be helping... I’ve tried shampoos and treatments you can get in places like Superdrug (Aussie, Tresemme, John Frieda etc) but I’m so fed up now that I’m prepared to go more expensive

Can anyone recommend anything for super frizzy hair? My hair is straight but it’s so frizzy and I’m so embarrassed! I have to wash it a lot because of how greasy it is too. I realise this won’t be helping... I’ve tried shampoos and treatments you can get in places like Superdrug (Aussie, Tresemme, John Frieda etc) but I’m so fed up now that I’m prepared to go more expensive
Use a micro fibre towel to dry hair, and sleep on a satin pillow case ☺

You sound identical to me, I wasn’t sure if mine was a side effect of my PCOS Unfortunately I have to wash every day I just get terribly greasy hair. I totally get what you mean about it being traumatic, it’s such a worry. Do you think the supplements help? I have never really known whether to trust them but open to anything to be honest. I’m going to look into this now!!
I’m not sure but something is working. There were lots of different hair vitamins in Boots but when looking they all had the same in them.

Thanks for being so judgemental & remaining off that high horse but I saved for that & bought it before the pandemic!!

When you're covered in bald patches because of psoriasis & the rest of your hair is falling off I think you're entitled to spend a bit more to help!
We all have things we can justify spending money on. I cut my own hair & I dont get tans, nails, lashes done. So thanks!
What people need to realise is that it's totally up to an individual what you choose to spend your money on. It's about priority Bill's first and then what's left is for treats that are nice or important or comforting to you. I am on a very high income but wouldnt spend that on shampoo or conditioner but not to say I dont understand when people do. The treats I buy myself most others might think blah thats not worth it but so what it's my money same as yours x

Reactions: 3
I swap and change all the time because when I was a teenager that was the standard advice in J17 - so your hair didn't get "used" to a product 🤷‍♀️. My upper limit is about £20 a bottle, but I'll also use £1 stuff too.

For reference, I have coloured hair (an expensive balayage) which is prone to both grease and frizz so I usually try and get products which are fairly kind to my hair and if they're expensive j see it as protecting the money I've already spent on my colour. I wash my hair every other day or occasionally it's 3 days between washes. Anyway, my verdicts:

Tigi Bed Head - brilliant, but price can be variable so I wait until they're on offer. Good VFM though as huge sizes.

Lush solid bars - love the shampoo, especially the one that is good for psoriasis. I like the way my hair feels after using the conditioner but always find it a bit awkward to actually use. Hair feels super clean after using both.

Bleach toning shampoo and conditioner - about £6 each but can usually get on offer. I use the smokey blonde and it's perfect for livening up my colour in between hairdresser visits. Tend to use once a month, plus the Garnier Ultimate Blends mask (about £4).

Supermarket ones - Treseme, Herbal Essences, Alberto Balsam etc - much of a muchness. Fine as they go, but can tell my hair's not as smooth but not really a problem if I use a decent styling product too.

Bumble and Bumble - I like them, but not more than the Tigi ones I don't think.

Umberto Gianni - forgot about these! I used to leave them so thanks to the poster above who mentioned! Will look out for them in Home Bargains.

Aussie shampoo and conditioner - great, and decent value. I think these actually strengthen my hair too.

I do tend to spend on serum-type products. Bumble and Bumble's oil is good. I like Beauty Protector's Detangling Spray (think can only get via birchbox), Frizz ease and there's a solid coconut wax type thing in a tin from the Bodyshop that lasts FOREVER. You only need the tiniest amount to tame stray hairs.

What people need to realise is that it's totally up to an individual what you choose to spend your money on. It's about priority Bill's first and then what's left is for treats that are nice or important or comforting to you. I am on a very high income but wouldnt spend that on shampoo or conditioner but not to say I dont understand when people do. The treats I buy myself most others might think blah thats not worth it but so what it's my money same as yours x
Exactly, we're not all clones of each other. There are things we'll all spend our money on that others wouldn't. Pointing the finger is ridiculous. I'm great with money. £100 for shampoo & conditioner that's still going 6 months later is hardly a shocker. That's easily spent in a month on takeaways. Once it runs out I'll buy it again because it's worth every penny 😊 & yes I can still give to others!

It says more about the person passing judgement on someone they know nothing about. Think people need to get over themselves.

@Thecatsmother those microfiber turbins are amazing!
@lexle I had that exact same problem with my hair due to balayage which was over processed. My hair is straight & fine. Smooth on the natural root then frizzy/tangled all the way down. I also have psoriasis which causes the worst tugs. Rusk do an amazing conditioning mask. It might be called Deep Shine but I'll double check. Smells lovely & didn't leave my hair limp. They recently changed the packaging.

Loreal biotin inforcer mask is great too for frizz but it did make my hair limp. Oribe Gold Lust has been a miracle worker for me. I was constantly googling things to help & that kept coming up.
I seldom use any heat on my hair. I use those turbins mentioned above a lot, they make your hair dry so quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
On a similar note dry shampoo. Any recommendations? Not Batiste 🤢 I saw brad Mondo recommend a foam one but can't remember the name. Just seen pantene do a new foam though