Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Quite a few of my plants are putting out new leaves now, it’s making me so excited for spring 🌱

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I'm still waiting for my Zebrina. I ordered a second one from somewhere else after the first order was cancelled. That one got damaged in transit and I'm still waiting for the replacement. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Yours doesn't look in too bad of a condition. You should be able to perk it up easily.
Hopefully worth the wait 🤞

Reactions: 2
Any tips for taming a monstera?! 🫣 I’ve let my big guy get a bit out of control and I’d love him to look a little less… wild 🤣 But I have no idea where to start! How the heck do people get those tidy looking monsteras you see on Pinterest?!

Here he is having a soak last night 🤣

1674659019682.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Any tips for taming a monstera?! 🫣 I’ve let my big guy get a bit out of control and I’d love him to look a little less… wild 🤣But I have no idea where to start! How the heck do people get those tidy looking monsteras you see on Pinterest?!

Here he is having a soak last night 🤣

View attachment 1909404
What a beautiful boy he is 😍. No idea how to tidy him though, sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
What a beautiful boy he is 😍. No idea how to tidy him though, sorry.
He’s my fave success story! He was about 20cm tall with three leaves when I first got him. He had a sign on his pot saying “help me, I fell down some steps!” Plants with sob stories 👌🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I have no advice to give but I hope someone else does! I noticed yesterday my monstera (which is actually three plants in one pot) has a stem growing so far off to the right it’s a snap hazard if it’s leaves get any heavier… I tried to detangle his roots last summer to split him up and I just couldn’t do it. I left him really rootbound about four pot sizes ago and I’d have to really damage them to separate. Sigh. Not sure what I’m gonna do about him either 🥲

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Any tips for taming a monstera?! 🫣 I’ve let my big guy get a bit out of control and I’d love him to look a little less… wild 🤣But I have no idea where to start! How the heck do people get those tidy looking monsteras you see on Pinterest?!
There is a coconut pole in the pot for roots to trail up it probably needs to be replaced with a bigger one I think I’m no expert

To train it upwards and tidy up you may need to lose a leaf or two if you plan take time you can cut them and propagate to make new plants rather than snap by accident

Have watched videos on YouTube always better to watch somebody go through the steps that’s how I learn

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi everyone, just wanted to say thank you since this thread revived my love for houseplants 😍 Currently only have a pothos, was holding back on buying new ones since I’m moving soon but couldn’t resist after seeing all your beautiful pictures and bought two more yesterday haha. Hope they all stay healthy this time 🤞🏻 I think I always tend to overwater them, always have a feeling they’re drying out 🥴 (clearly not), so also bought a soil moisture meter from Amazon 🤔 hope this will help! 🌱

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For people struggling with string of pearls, I have only one advice: LIGHT. Plenty of it.
Mine lives on a balcony that gets direct sunlight from morning to mid-afternoon and and is sheltered from the wind.
I got it when it was only four little pearls, and a year and a half on, it is thriving, constantly flowering.

IMG_20230126_113642.jpg

IMG_20230126_113623.jpg

I just got this variegated one, hopefully it'll grow as beautifully as its sister.

IMG_20230126_113505.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm hoping to sell some cuttings of my string plants. I just need pearls to catch up. Not expecting to make millions but just to fund the odd wee plant. I have turtles, hearts and pearls. Turtles and hearts do great but I just need my pearls to get going.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I actually counted mine the other day. I have 54, 53 now one is dead but have another 7 on the way. That's in just under a year. I'm aiming for 100 😆.
Husband moaned the other day about "Living in a bloody greenhouse..............................."
I think I have about 25 houseplants at the moment on windowsills, on stands and planters on the landing, the spare bedroom currently houses the Hibiscus I bought when my mother died which goes out for summer, the loo downstairs has my little cacti collection and of course theres Percy Pot Plant the aspidistra. I've had Percy a very long time now. I took him when I was a kid when my grandparents died because my mother couldn't keep anything alive & thats largely because I'd got him for my grandma as a present (a cutting from my Guide Leader) so he's actually 57 years old. He's moved house with me umpteen times, died right back and then sprouted back to life again numerous times and even flowered once of twice. Percy is very special :)

---

Here he is. He's currently on a regrowth with half a dozen new leaves popping through so once they're up I'll take the damaged ones out.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
For people struggling with string of pearls, I have only one advice: LIGHT. Plenty of it.
Mine lives on a balcony that gets direct sunlight from morning to mid-afternoon and and is sheltered from the wind.
I got it when it was only four little pearls, and a year and a half on, it is thriving, constantly flowering.

View attachment 1911448

View attachment 1911449

I just got this variegated one, hopefully it'll grow as beautifully as its sister.

View attachment 1911452
This gives me so much hope! My kitchen window is south facing so I’ll hang him in the middle rather than to the side 🌿 I’ll report back.

Reactions: 3