Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oooh what is that one? It's beautiful.
It's a Codiaeum Mammi, known as a Joseph's Coat Croton. I'm quite impressed with it because the colours are just as vibrant as in the sellers photo. I'd presumed they'd photo shopped it a bit but obviously not.

Reactions: 2
It's a Codiaeum Mammi, known as a Joseph's Coat Croton. I'm quite impressed with it because the colours are just as vibrant as in the sellers photo. I'd presumed they'd photo shopped it a bit but obviously not.
Thank you for letting me know, it's beautiful. I must try and source one! I am loving this thread for seeing everyone's beautiful planta and for getting tips, although it makes me want them all!

Reactions: 3
Thank you for letting me know, it's beautiful. I must try and source one! I am loving this thread for seeing everyone's beautiful planta and for getting tips, although it makes me want them all!
Mine was from Etsy if that helps. The seller was called something like plants for all seasons or similar.

• Heart
Any ideas what this one might be?
I bought a few months ago in a shop that flogs ends of lines of anything, it was just the small fat leaf stuck in a pot and yes I felt sorry for it! I thought it was a Senseviera Mother in laws tongue but even the new leaves are too wide and its sort of blotchy, not stripy so it's Un named 😉

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Any ideas what this one might be?
I bought a few months ago in a shop that flogs ends of lines of anything, it was just the small fat leaf stuck in a pot and yes I felt sorry for it! I thought it was a Senseviera Mother in laws tongue but even the new leaves are too wide and its sort of blotchy, not stripy so it's Un named 😉

It is like mother in law's tongue, if not that I wonder is it something in the same family. I have a free app called LeafSnap that can help identify plants when you're not sure. You just take a photo and upload it and then it gives you a few options one of which is usually right and it means you can kinda use as a starting point for further research. Love the sound of that shop!

---

This is probably a really daft question but is it "ok" to keep moving a plant to kind of chase the sun round your house as it moves? I've inherited a couple of plants in bad shape and I'm trying to revive them and so I've been moving them to get them as much light as they need but am wondering is that bad for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It is like mother in law's tongue, if not that I wonder is it something in the same family. I have a free app called LeafSnap that can help identify plants when you're not sure. You just take a photo and upload it and then it gives you a few options one of which is usually right and it means you can kinda use as a starting point for further research. Love the sound of that shop!
Sadly they have closed down and the nearest one to me is now half an hour's drive away but I have picked up some plant bargains in there on the odd occasion, like the dozen trailing pelargoniums I got for 5€ last year. Basically it looked like they'd come from a big retailer whose staff never look after the plants so they end up dried-out on death's doorstep, I got there as they were being put on the shelves, brought them home and dunked them for a good soak then enjoyed beautiful flowers on them all summer long. As a bonus they are still alive underneath the bench on my veranda so hopefully they'll last for this summer too :) Our local Lidl always has beautiful plants too but unfortunately they are one of the retailers whose staff neglect the plants so unless you buy them within days of them reaching the shop they are already on a downward spiral :( I went in there last week for a few bits and emerged with a small planter containing three lovely polyanthus for 2€ - again they were bone dry needed deadheading but already there are new flower spikes pushing through the leaves. I am a Plant Paramedic :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Sadly they have closed down and the nearest one to me is now half an hour's drive away but I have picked up some plant bargains in there on the odd occasion, like the dozen trailing pelargoniums I got for 5€ last year. Basically it looked like they'd come from a big retailer whose staff never look after the plants so they end up dried-out on death's doorstep, I got there as they were being put on the shelves, brought them home and dunked them for a good soak then enjoyed beautiful flowers on them all summer long. As a bonus they are still alive underneath the bench on my veranda so hopefully they'll last for this summer too :) Our local Lidl always has beautiful plants too but unfortunately they are one of the retailers whose staff neglect the plants so unless you buy them within days of them reaching the shop they are already on a downward spiral :( I went in there last week for a few bits and emerged with a small planter containing three lovely polyanthus for 2€ - again they were bone dry needed deadheading but already there are new flower spikes pushing through the leaves. I am a Plant Paramedic :)

It definitely sounds like you're a plant paramedic! I'm trying my best to be, I'm rescuing as many as I can. It's great to hear about bargains and success stories.

I've just come across this account on Insta - theplantrescuer - and it has some great tips on reviving plants.

Reactions: 3
It definitely sounds like you're a plant paramedic! I'm trying my best to be, I'm rescuing as many as I can. It's great to hear about bargains and success stories.

I've just come across this account on Insta - theplantrescuer - and it has some great tips on reviving plants.
I love that account! I have got so many tips from them 😊

• Heart
I bought a new succulent from Lidl. The only thing that's stopped me from going over the top with all the plants is that I would have to leave them behind when I moved again.

Anyway as they do bring me joy I'm going to indulge and the landlord can keep them afterwards. 🤪

I bought a new succulent from Lidl. The only thing that's stopped me from going over the top with all the plants is that I would have to leave them behind when I moved again.

I've decided to become a plant parent anyway as they do bring me joy and the landlord can keep them afterwards. So for the time being we are a family of three. 🤪
Lidl, aldi and buying cuttings to prop mean that you don't need to spend too much on plants if you need to leave them. You can also pop a bundle of houseplants on marketplace and someone would buy them then spend the money on more plants.

I keep telling myself that I'll sell some. Rarely do 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4