Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone here love houseplants?

I've recently become fascinated with houseplants and really want some. My issue is I tend to become fixated on things for a few weeks then those the fascination, also I don't want to waste money. Also I'm not always good at taking care of things. Also I don't want to waste space as I use my south-facing windows for propagating veg. Also I worry they'll attract flies. Also I think I'm still traumatised by my mum's (who I live with) relentless acquisition then inadvertent killing of the things. Many an orchid has met its maker in this house.

My friend bought me a cactus kit, and I'm trying to grow them right now. I do like cactuses but I kind of want leafy and flowery things and see cactuses as something "different" than houseplants.

Not posting this in advice, because I kind of want inspiration by seeing what other people love!

Reactions: 6
I love houseplants but I either forget to water them or I water them too much haha

I can't keep a succulent alive longer than a month.

But I have several spider plants and a peace lily that I have had for about 4 years! They are both low maintenance, watering once a week is fine and they definitely show you when they need a drink if you forget to water them (they both droop and the spider plant goes paler in colour).

Reactions: 6
Agree with @HoGi and would suggest a peace lily too (I don’t have a spider plant so can’t comment). Very easy to care for and you’ll know when they need watering. And I’m north facing so lack of light hasn’t been an issue and have had no flies.

I’ve killed many succulents too (from overwatering usually).

Reactions: 5
I love houseplants. I used to kill them but have now managed to keep mine alive for a few years now. I give then all names too 😂😂 I love unusual ones, and think a house is so much better with real plants in. Wanting a massive plants but cannot justify paying £70 plus at this time.

Reactions: 7
I was thinking of making a similar thread! I love my houseplants but I am very bad at keeping them alive despite my best efforts. I actually find “easy” ones the hardest - my spider plant and peace Lilly always look half dead 😂

Plants I find easiest are: snake plant (literally never do anything to it), pothos (bit of water now and then) and aloe Vera. Monstera plants are usually easy too.

Also have a couple of small IKEA cactuses from 2017 that somehow haven’t died despite me ignoring them.

Reactions: 4
Phileas are quite easy to care for, and my jade plant has been going for 10 years despite my best attempts at finishing it off

Reactions: 2
I've had succulents/cacti for a few years but they grew too big to keep in the flat comfortably and I gave them away. Now I have a new Chinese money plant (Pilea peperomioides) in my bedroom. Chose it because the round leaves made me happy. Still trying to find what's the best watering schedule etc, I had a few day long curling of leaves but it seems to be sorting itself out now. I think its spot is fine, my windowsill is light but the room doesn't get direct sunshine all day, which was the suggested condition to keep the plant in. I hope it liked its spot and I won't kill it. I don't consider myself a green thumb at all but I really like this one. The succulents were practically impossible to kill but green plants are a bit more tricky to me. There is also a Spathiphyllum/peace lily in the living room which I'm convinced will outlive me.

Reactions: 3
Plants have been my saviour of lockdown! I live alone and have found looking after them really therapeutic. I had maybe 4 houseplants at the start of lockdown last year and now I think it’s pushing 30..!

Definitely second the recommendation for a snake plant as a nice easy one, I’ve had one for a couple of years now, I water it probably less than once a month and it’s a happy camper.

@lemonlime I have a pilea Chinese money plant too, like you I love the shape of the leaves! I also found mine took a little while to settle in when I got it, it drooped a bit and had curly leaves at first but after a few weeks it’s been doing well since and even has a couple of baby shoots appearing now too

• Heart
I've got an orchid and a peace lily. I bottom water both and feed intermittently and they're quite healthy (for now!) 😂

Thank you, that's a relief! I'd be gutted if I couldn't make this one thrive, it's such a happy plant 😄

• Heart
I'd quite like a Japanese Peace Lily because it would be the closest I'd ever get to being like Nicholas Angel. Though I'm not good with actually looking after plants either, so maybe it's for the greater good that I don't get one.

Was inspired by the thread to give some TLC to my plants. I think I’ve just murdered my Yucca.

Note to any other potential yucca killers - don’t stick your finger into the black gunge coming out the sleeping eyes.

Was inspired by the thread to give some TLC to my plants. I think I’ve just murdered my Yucca.

Note to any other potential yucca killers - don’t stick your finger into the black gunge coming out the sleeping eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have a ficus daniele that I nearly killed with over watering a few years ago but now is really healthy. I have a succulent that I also over watered this winter, I think I've saved that too but a lot of the leaves dropped off so it's looking sparse. I have herbs that I grow indoors and another little plant that I don't know the name of that's doing quite well. I feel really proud of myself that I have kept the plants alive because I've killed so many over the years.

I love plants, I have lots, of all sorts. Beginners usually over water, they need less water than you think. 😂 They need light, not in a corner. Things mentioned like pothos and spider plants are easy for beginners, very forgiving, Do. Not. Overwater. 😂
Orchids are easy. Yes. 😂 The philanopsis you see everywhere. Don't water with tap water, filtered or rain water. They only need a tiny amount of water, will keep their flowers for three months.
I bought a very small monstera last year, hand size. It's now up to my waist, don't think you have to spend lots.

I have a few carnivorous plants. Having a lot of luck with the sundew but not so much with the pitcher plant for some reason, and then Venus flytraps came damaged so I'm hoping they'll regrow. The sundew was meant to be difficult to maintain since it's a tropic variety one but here we are.
Got a couple of airplants out of interest too and they're doing wonderfully.
Also got a Calathea crocata out of pure boredom. Honestly I can't tell if it's doing well or not since it came slightly damaged, plus the cat had a bit of a nibble on a few of the leaves.

I'd love some other flowering plants but it's hard to find anything I actually like as most stuff seems to be poisonous

I’ve just bought my first flat and got some lovely little house plants to decorate it, but I seem to have overwatered them and now have a problem with fungus gnats! Any ideas how to get rid without getting rid of my lovely little house plants?

Reactions: 1
I’ve just bought my first flat and got some lovely little house plants to decorate it, but I seem to have overwatered them and now have a problem with fungus gnats! Any ideas how to get rid without getting rid of my lovely little house plants?
I have been battling these little beasts! I got some yellow sticky paper things (just from Amazon) which are really good at catching them - it’s quite horrifying when you first see how many they catch! They definitely help keep the numbers down. I put a couple of the sheets hanging above where most of my plants are, and then cut strips to put over the soil of a few of the worst hit plants.

I’ve also been sprinkling cinnamon on the top of the soil as this is anti-fungal, plus apparently it’s harder for them to burrow into. And bottom watering the plants helps too as it’s the damp top of the soil that they like so this keeps the top drier :)

• Heart
Another vote for the yellow sticker things

I put one on a stick in the pot of the plant I thought might be the cause (my peace lily) and within a week there were LOADS stuck to the back

Haven't seen any in my house for weeks now.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Repot them all.

Reactions: 1