Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I cut my begonia down to having two inch stumps to about where the stems are a bit "woody" - the buds are popping through on the upper half :)

Reactions: 1
Oh thank you! How far did you chop the stem back? I have never done that before, so I am completely clueless.

There seems to be a bit of new green growth at the top of the stem and near the bottom.
---

Thank you so much! I had just repotted it in a bigger pot and now changed the compost to add more draining soil.
It did not have root rot.

It is the Begonia type.
Where should I take cutting?
Part of the way along it where there were leaves/little bumps, a bit that looks healthy (and make sure you keep it pointing the right way up). It might not take, but then you've got a chance of the existing plant trying again, but if it does, you could have two.

Monstera - it's looking for light and doing what it's meant to do - climb up in search of it.

You can lop a top bit off that's got a couple of leaves, a good thumb sized chunk of stem and air roots and that'll take quickly as a new plant (as well as stimulating the lower bits to chuck out some more leaves). Or you can cling film some damp moss around the bumps to encourage it to send out roots, chopping it off to pot up after a few weeks once they've grown.

It's going to prefer being nearer a window, higher up by a window or get some cheap LED grow light strips on a time for 12-18 hours a day will also help. Where I bought some fertiliser sticks and shove them in around the roots every 3 months has caused some new baby leaves at the base of mine as well (just random, cheap ones from Amazon).

Reactions: 3
Part of the way along it where there were leaves/little bumps, a bit that looks healthy (and make sure you keep it pointing the right way up). It might not take, but then you've got a chance of the existing plant trying again, but if it does, you could have two.
Thank you so much. I will give it a go tonight and will update on how it goes.

Thank you! There is a "woody bit" in the middle. Shall I cut above there? I never cut a plant before - am nervous!
Without seeing it I'd go lower so theres less plant for the roots to maintain as it recovers so ooomphh & make it a nice neat cut with a sharp knife.
You could always root a few cuttings in water too which is my favourite technique, in fact I bought a bunch of fabulous orange rosebuds in Lidl and thought I'd experiment to see if I could root one, so after the flower had died I kept the stem (after I snipped a bit off top & bottom) and 6 weeks later I had a little plant! I potted it upand I had gorgeous orange flowers this week!!! I'm going to wait until I see a really beautiful colourway in Lidl again and I shall do the lot! (OH groaned seeing as I have 17 rose bushes already LOL)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Without seeing it I'd go lower so theres less plant for the roots to maintain as it recovers so ooomphh & make it a nice neat cut with a sharp knife.
You could always root a few cuttings in water too which is my favourite technique, in fact I bought a bunch of fabulous orange rosebuds in Lidl and thought I'd experiment to see if I could root one, so after the flower had died I kept the stem (after I snipped a bit off top & bottom) and 6 weeks later I had a little plant! I potted it upand I had gorgeous orange flowers this week!!! I'm going to wait until I see a really beautiful colourway in Lidl again and I shall do the lot! (OH groaned seeing as I have 17 rose bushes already LOL)
Wow, you do have green fingers.

Thank you for your advice.

Just did it - eeeekkk!!! Felt strange. Will keep you posted!

Reactions: 1
I've also rooted four apple tree cuttings from a pink cider apple tree I grew from a pip. Yes it becomes an obsession very quickly 😁
Here you are. One little rose from a cutting and two apple cuttings all done on the windowsill in a rooting vase I bought for 2€. Now we have bought a renovation project to which I'll be getting a chunk of cowfield that has no trees or shrubs in it at present, hence I have got at least 20 saplings of oak, viburnum, beech, chestnut and hazels, plus the apples, a couple of cherries and a buddleja that will be moving with us when we go. Lucky I've got a new spade eh? 😆

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Here you are. One little rose from a cutting and two apple cuttings all done on the windowsill in a rooting vase I bought for 2€. Now we have bought a renovation project to which I'll be getting a chunk of cowfield that has no trees or shrubs in it at present, hence I have got at least 20 saplings of oak, viburnum, beech, chestnut and hazels, plus the apples, a couple of cherries and a buddleja that will be moving with us when we go. Lucky I've got a new spade eh? 😆
Wow, this looks beautiful.

How long did it take them to grow like this from a cutting?

I have now moved my begonia and calatheas to the bedroom, they were in the kitchen and maybe their wasn't enough humidity for them there (the oven).

It takes about to 6 weeks for the roots to form on the cuttings, then when the plant seems to have enough to support itself (usually when new leaf buds start to form) I give them a pot of their own. Never let them dry out because they are still fragile.
This rose was rooted back in the dark winter so its nice it has flowered already. Also, don't be chucking out those miniature roses once they've flowered because they are still viable and will carry on growing like this one happily does all summer
17185353548917121310658840803008.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Next time I see a colourway I like In Lidl I shall buy the bunch and when they finish flowering I'm going to try again to see if it was a fluke or not!

Reactions: 2