Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We get them in work and one time I thought I would tidy them up a bit, several disintegrated, I leave them well alone now!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Oh no I bought a string of pearls today 🙈 I was hoping it was just fussy for bottom watering but I guess not 🤡 I’m going to hang it in quite a sunny window too… will report back how long it lasts

• Heart
Oh no I bought a string of pearls today 🙈 I was hoping it was just fussy for bottom watering but I guess not 🤡 I’m going to hang it in quite a sunny window too… will report back how long it lasts
I've been googling and my advice was going to be place it in a sunny window. It is possible that this was my error. I did feed the most recent one with the brown bio food stuff (sorry I've gone blank on what it's called), maybe it didn't like that.

Edited to add: I'm looking forward to your updates!

Reactions: 1

I have these, almost just ignore them. My sit on a window board, water once a month.

I’ve had my string of pearls for about a year and a half and just ignore them most of the time, only water when they look thirsty and I keep them on a south-facing window ledge!
The pic below is quite useful guidance and helped me when I first got mine!

(in my experience they are also quite forgiving if you forget to water them for a while!)
61928A92-C4E1-4068-A315-82C8795AF219.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 4
20230122_122525.jpg

Varigated SOP. They look healthy but I bought 3 x 10cm strands last summer and they have never grown. I bottom water in a self watering pot.

View attachment 1901577

Varigated SOP. They look healthy but I bought 3 x 10cm strands last summer and they have never grown. I bottom water in a self watering pot.
What soil do you use? I repot all my plants with soil ninja, and in particular my string of pearls are potted in their cacti and succulent soil which contains lots of perlite etc that helps with drainage as well as worm castings which is a natural fertiliser to help growth. I defo recommend it!

What soil do you use? I repot all my plants with soil ninja, and in particular my string of pearls are potted in their cacti and succulent soil which contains lots of perlite etc that helps with drainage as well as worm castings which is a natural fertiliser to help growth. I defo recommend it!
I can't remember what this is in. I think it's a mix of houseplant soil, orchid bark and coco coir.

I have pretty much everything in pon now but wasn't sure if strings would like pon.

Reactions: 1
20230123_133907.jpg
alocasias in my bathroom. The big Regal Shield usually has around 9 leaves in summer. Only 4 just now.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Look at your alocasias they look brilliant! We got 6 in a delivery this week, I have managed to keep them alive so far by completely ignoring them!

I would be cracking up with that leaf too..

In other news never buy plants from a garden centre...its an eye opener to be sure. I keep finding mealybugs on the crassula and signs of spidermites. Just get told to pull the affected leaf off and brush the webs off 😱 (I can't bring myself to do that to someone, I get rid of the entire plant when manager is away or get them sprayed and hidden).

---

Oh and the string of pearls here look great this week and are flowering which I hadn't seen before!

I have a spare fabrikor that I put my garden centre plants in with yellow sticky traps. Since I got my varigated frydek I've been really panicked about pests. She had better give me babies in the spring/summer!!!!!

Reactions: 2
My arrowhead is such a drama queen! Literally four hours difference between these photos after a water 🤣

1674579514991.jpeg

1674579530959.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Definitely! My local plant shop always laugh because I specifically ask for diva plants so I know when it’s watering time! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Absolutely - I like ones that droop as an early warning sign.

Mine don't do this, all seem fine and then suddenly wither and go brown without warning almost overnight.

Orchids are my speciality, have had 3 in the last couple of years (all bought for me as presents), all died.

• Sad
Absolutely - I like ones that droop as an early warning sign.

Mine don't do this, all seem fine and then suddenly wither and go brown without warning almost overnight.

Orchids are my speciality, have had 3 in the last couple of years (all bought for me as presents), all died.
I feel your pain! My Achilles heel is a calathea! I’ve tried four different types now and always manage to kill every single one 💀 I’ve just finally admitted defeat with my Begonia Rex too, he couldn’t handle my chilly apartment! My stupid fault for getting a Begonia in October - rookie error! 😅

I have a neighbour with the Umbrella plant it’s over a metre and a half they gave me a cutting

To grow all you do is turn upside down in a glass of water it’s been a few months now I have a tiny little umbrella plant of my own 🥰

Apparently will be thirsty in the summer needs more water than usual if you know anybody that has umbrella plant ask them for a cutting when it’s grown looks really nice

• Heart
Reactions: 6