Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love house plants, but I'm really annoyed that the last few plants I bought all either had gnat or lice eggs in the soil or the soil started to mold or they had some other plant disease already. Especially with supermarket plants you never know the conditions they were kept in before they come to the store.

Someone already mentioned the yellow stickers to help with the gnats, but another thing I can highly recommend is getting nematodes - they are a tiny tiny parasites, but the good kind. Eat eggs and larvae and fungi in the soil, produce nutrients for the plants etc. Don't be put off by them being a tiny worm, you can't see them and when you buy them online or in garden centres, what you get is a packet of what looks like saw dust that you dilute in water. They are usually only available spring - autumn because its too cold to ship or transport them in winter. I order mine from Amazon and they work a treat.
No plant shall enter my house before the nematodes had a good clean out of the soil.

Reactions: 3
I’ve been infested with fungus gnats for probably the last 12 months 😂 just as I thought I’d beaten them they came back and spread through the house again. I read mixed opinions about whether they damage the plants or not. So far I don’t seem to have lost any plants to them so I’ve just cut back on watering and put sticky traps in and I’m pretending they don’t exist. I’ll let the fuckers win I just can’t be arsed. No doubt they’ll come back even harder in the spring 🤡

Reactions: 1
Oh gnats are the bane of my existence! I’m a bit naughty and use insecticide as natural methods never seem to work for me! But the little bastards still break through sometimes! 😡

The only good thing about the cold weather is that they sod off for a bit 🤣

Sundew (carnivorous plant) is also a good fungus gnat friend. I use a mix of sticky traps, nematodes and carnivorous plants.

Also a small tip from me. Remember that fungus gnats can arrive on a herb plant from the supermarket. This is the voice of experience talking. I quarantine my new plants but one time I bought a basil from tesco and there were gnats 🤦‍♀️

Defo verigated! 😍
Quite exciting 😁 especially as it was a £3 corm.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I had gnats infest one of my plants. I'm not sure where they came from though as I'd had that plant for a year and they just suddenly erupted out of nowhere from the soil and never seen them on any of my other plants. I just didn't water it for a month then gradually bottom watered it and they just went away

Reactions: 2
20230117_185951.jpg

This Philo pink princess leaf has been developing for ages 😒 I'm so bored of waiting but looks like it might end up being decent.

Reactions: 4
Yay a houseplant thread. I've got lemons, calamondin orange, kumquat, sago palm, orchids, bananas, several indoor palms, a lovely olive tree that stays outside all year (in North West England). Fungus nats, always water from below, there lavae live in the top couple of inch of soil, let it dry out. I'm wary of supermarket plants as I brought home one and it had scale, which spread and took ages to get rid of. I grow chillies from seed from supermarket chillies, same with peppers etc

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Wasted nearly £100 quids worth of ferns in work today. Thrips and spider mites. I'm pretty sure they'll be on more stuff but I couldn't bring myself to look too closely. We have nowhere to quarantine or nurse houseplants so we have to dump them 😭

• Wow
  • Sad
Wasted nearly £100 quids worth of ferns in work today. Thrips and spider mites. I'm pretty sure they'll be on more stuff but I couldn't bring myself to look too closely. We have nowhere to quarantine or nurse houseplants so we have to dump them 😭
I've got rid of spidermites with eco washing up liquid, rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle, give em a good spraying.

Oh no 😔 I've not had thrips (yet). I spent this year being convinced I had thrips because everyone else on social media seemed to have them.

Help! Brought this calathea home about a week ago, was in a tiny pot and quite rootbound. I repotted it a couple of days ago. Yesterday noticed leaves curling up and its worse today. Do you think its overwatered, was on the end of the bath and I think hubby may have given it an accidental shower! I'm thinking take it out and repot in drier soil but I'm scared to piss it off more 😱

Attachments

What's the reason for my new rubber plant to keep dropping leaves? I'm not overwatering, I don't know what else I could be doing wrong? I thought these were quite hardy, my mum used to have a huge one in our freezing cold front room, so I thought it would be a safe bet, but it clearly hates me! ☹
IMG_20230121_163842_340~2.jpg

• Sad
Two more of my plants have died. One was a Scarlet Star that went mouldy in the middle and snapped off. It's always had a lean but it obviously wasn't very well.

My second String of Pearls has died as well, just as swiftly as the first one. Literally within a fortnight it's shrivelled to nothing and rotted away. So weird. Goodness knows what I'm doing wrong with them. I'm not going to bother buying another one though.

My Aglaonema Red Star has gone all droopy as well. It hasn't been over waterered so I don't know what's wrong with it.

• Sad
Oh dear its all doom and gloom! I repotted the calathea in a slightly smaller pot with drier soil. It looks worse!

Does the rubber plant have a draught hitting it, I've seen plants reacting like that.

• Sad
Reactions: 2