Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why do all houseplants supposedly need bright, indirect light? :LOL: I have no south facing window in my house so don't get much direct sunlight in, esp at this time of year. I have a mixture of real and fake plants. One's that are at least surviving;
- Aspidistra
- Parlour Palm
- Devils Ivy
- Dracenea
- Rubber plant

I have a peace lily but it's being attacked my mold at the base and some of the leaves wilted and dropped off. My fern seems to be on its last legs too.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I got a full spectrum 3 headed light, I love it and plan to buy more.
Some of my plants are looking dodgy right now. I might ignore them for a week and see how they go.
@JuneJuneHannah pretty zebrina!

Reactions: 1
Tips on an Olive tree please. I want one for my bedroom, it's light, bright and has some direct sunlight. I've never had one before. 🌳

Reactions: 5
Sounds good, they like lots of light if you think about where they come from (Mediterranean). You can pop them outside in warmer weather too. I love the leaves on them they're so pretty. We've loads in work and they've done fine outdoors under cover all winter!

Reactions: 2
Why do all houseplants supposedly need bright, indirect light? :LOL: I have no south facing window in my house so don't get much direct sunlight in, esp at this time of year. I have a mixture of real and fake plants. One's that are at least surviving;
- Aspidistra
- Parlour Palm
- Devils Ivy
- Dracenea
- Rubber plant

I have a peace lily but it's being attacked my mold at the base and some of the leaves wilted and dropped off. My fern seems to be on its last legs too.
I feel your pain. My small house is quite dark at this time of year and plants don't really thrive well in my living-room. I have very narrow windowsills and not much floor space so my plants end up in my fireplace. It's only warm in there when the heating is on (not very often if we can help it!) and it's cold overnight. I can't even grow spider plants in there and they usually grow anywhere! I need plants that like the cold and dark. Arctic moss anyone? 😭😭

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Tips on an Olive tree please. I want one for my bedroom, it's light, bright and has some direct sunlight. I've never had one before. 🌳
That's interesting, I think they must be the new en vogue houseplant as literally just seen one in a house I was looking at on Rightmove. I didn't know you could keep them inside tbf. I was thinking about getting one for my little backyard in the spring, but it wouldn't get much more than 3 or 4 hours direct sunlight in the summer

31247_G01912-t-3988_IMG_01_0000.jpeg

I feel your pain. My small house is quite dark at this time of year and plants don't really thrive well in my living-room. I have very narrow windowsills and not much floor space so my plants end up in my fireplace. It's only warm in there when the heating is on (not very often if we can help it!) and it's cold overnight. I can't even grow spider plants in there and they usually grow anywhere! I need plants that like the cold and dark. Arctic moss anyone? 😭😭
Urban plant growers have some great lights at decent prices!

Oooh there's one of those fairly near to me. I think I'll be taking a trip sometime 😁.
Urgh, well just to warn you that I just realised that I have fungus gnats on the one I bought.

I had quarantined it because I have a couple of pricey plants so not a huge deal but annoying.

That's interesting, I think they must be the new en vogue houseplant as literally just seen one in a house I was looking at on Rightmove. I didn't know you could keep them inside tbf. I was thinking about getting one for my little backyard in the spring, but it wouldn't get much more than 3 or 4 hours direct sunlight in the summer

View attachment 1881667
That's a stunning house.

Last edited:
I've just bought some more plants. Oops. I think I might have a slight problem. I know plants aren't the worst thing in the word to be addicted to but hmmmm.

I'm also finding I have the same issue with plant pots that I have with clothes combinations. The pot has to match the plant otherwise it makes me uncomfortable.

I'm quite cheesed that I bought some 7cm pots recently that are actually more like 9cm so drown the plants they were meant for. I like them so I kept them but grrrr.

So my new green friends are an Alocasia Zebrina (hope it actually arrives this time), a codiaeum (Joseph's coat), an Alocasia Aslanii and an Aglaonema White Joy.

In other news, I think my Oxalis Triangularis is dead. I'd hope it was just having a dormant moment, a little nap, but nope, I think it's deceased.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have a serious plant addiction, but as said above there are much worst things things to be addicted to! Everywhere sells plants now, even my local big tesco has a decent plant selection and I can’t help but snoop every time I shop there! Haha

So how big are peoples collections? Mine is a decent size considering I have the smallest room in the house, lord help me when I get a place of my own! 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have a serious plant addiction, but as said above there are much worst things things to be addicted to! Everywhere sells plants now, even my local big tesco has a decent plant selection and I can’t help but snoop every time I shop there! Haha

So how big are peoples collections? Mine is a decent size considering I have the smallest room in the house, lord help me when I get a place of my own! 🤦🏼‍♀️
I actually counted mine the other day. I have 54, 53 now one is dead but have another 7 on the way. That's in just under a year. I'm aiming for 100 😆.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I actually counted mine the other day. I have 54, 53 now one is dead but have another 7 on the way. That's in just under a year. I'm aiming for 100 😆.
Wow!!! That’s impressive! I have 27 plants in my bedroom alone and whenever I try to bring any more home my Mum moans at me because I have no more space to put it in my room and try to put it around the house! 🤦🏼‍♀️
1 out of 54 isn’t bad at all, what’s your fave?

• Wow
Wow!!! That’s impressive! I have 27 plants in my bedroom alone and whenever I try to bring any more home my Mum moans at me because I have no more space to put it in my room and try to put it around the house! 🤦🏼‍♀️
1 out of 54 isn’t bad at all, what’s your fave?
Oooh! I probably have a top five... I'm rather fond of the Syngonium Neon and my Aglaonema Red Star. I also love my Crassula Marnieriana. I lurrve the money tail cactus and I'd miss the Begonia Maculata if it wasn't here although it keeps losing leaves 😅.

What are everybody else's favourites? (I've got my eye on that lovely purple velvety one someone posted the other day).

That was me and my gynura she's doing very well I've been popping her under the grow light for a good part of the day and she's happy!

I have about 20ish plants in the house so far plus a few terrariums and bowls of succulents. 2 are not doing well, one of my begonias I don't know whats wrong with it, some leaves are going crispy but others have gone all limp and floppy. I've cut it back a bit and will ignore it for a couple of days. I also have a schefflera that just does not seem happy I will post a pic later to see if anyone can advise!!

• Heart