Holidays #2 - 2022 roundup and plans for 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think I’ve decided if I can get it off work I’m going to go the Philippines at the start of next year instead of Iceland since it’s #1 on my list.
also new bucket their item
A118AFB8-89AB-4242-95F0-351EBF5A5627.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
wow you're living my dream!

i haven't been to any of these, i removed the ''bucket list items'' that i already did such as ireland, scotland, etc. (i'm not from the uk) i guess my main question would be what was your favourite and what was your least favourite out of those you've been to 😊

how did you like living in amsterdam? that must be the only place i've ever visited that i didn't like!

your upcoming plans sound amazing. i'm especially jealous of greenland! may i ask what is your work, which allowes you to travel this much? for next year my plans are: paris in february, bordeaux in june & ireland (again) probably in september. hoping to get some more local trips in too!
Out of curiosity, why didn't you like Amsterdam?

Reactions: 1
We’re booked at an all inclusive resort in Varadero, it’s more nervous for the flight (I’ve never flown long haul) and for being in a different environment a long way from home. I’m a very anxious person and I like to plan every little detail to the t but I’m trying to go with the flow this time which I think is just making me nervous over nothing lmao. I also worry that going to a place where the local people are not very well off, then staying in an expensive resort where they basically wait on you hand and foot just feels…I don’t know, maybe it’s just the way people have been framing it. I’ve done some reading and will bring money to tip the staff and leave toiletries behind.

It looks beautiful and I know I’m being nervous for nothing but fear of the unknown has got me in a chokehold 🙈
Be aware that going to Cuba could potentially make travel to the US difficult for you in future.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you like Amsterdam?
thinking back, i don't think it was actually the city itself, i was just there with the wrong people who were only interested in shopping + the weather was really bad. but i also had some trouble with accommodation and found the people in general incredibly rude! i think it was mainly the circumstances. i should probably go back and rewrite it 😊

thinking back, i don't think it was actually the city itself, i was just there with the wrong people who were only interested in shopping + the weather was really bad. but i also had some trouble with accommodation and found the people in general incredibly rude! i think it was mainly the circumstances. i should probably go back and rewrite it 😊
I never noticed during the times I've spent in Amsterdam strangely but I've worked with Dutch people in my country and yes they were rude and very proud of their country like they're the best 😄 They're quite direct but it's a cultural thing I presume.

This was jan/feb next year, just will have to see if I have enough money. I do have savings I can use 🤔 my plan from now on is any overtime pay I get is going into a holiday savings account. So I’ll just make up what I use form my normal savings. Maybe it was £220 actually - £70 flights and £150 hostel. Or wait till the same time the year after and hope it’ll be similar price.
Although it I do have somewhere I want to go in Jan-April 2024 that I can’t fit into 2023 unless I go during a time that’s not recommended to that country. Can go away Jan-March or April-October next year. I’ve decided since my last holiday was included one of my bucket list places to do more of where I want to go rather than to just go because it’s a holiday

This is making me want to book 🤔
What did you do whilst there?
I was looking at northern lights, blue lagoon (or just seen there’s sky lagoon 🤔), horse tour and golden circle.
I think it’ll be at least an extra £300 on top if I do three of these things. I’m thinking one thing a day. Maybe I’ll buy some pot noodles to take with me 😂
Some relatives went to Iceland for New Year 21. It was hideously expensive. Another thing that surprised me is that when they came back they both had Urinary Tract Infections. The doctor said this is really common from people who have been to the lagoons as you are basically sitting in a stagnant swamp of people’s cells and viruses 🦠 😂😂

We’ve booked to go to Cuba in May 2023 and I’m slightly nervous about it. I’ve only ever been the usual Spain/Greece before and it’s very out of my comfort zone but my boyfriend really wanted to go. Has anyone been Cuba before?
Yes we went this year. Loved Havana! The beaches are stunning and the people are lovely but the food is not good and the shortages mean that you can’t rely on getting whatever you want. While we were there for 2 weeks, we never saw a potato, lettuce, tomatoes, orange juice and lots more and some days there was no milk, no cola, no lemonade etc.

One thing to bear in mind, which I only found out afterwards, is that if you have visited Cuba since 2018 you cannot get a visa for the USA because Trump put them on the terrorist list. I’ve been to the US before so I’m not really bothered but it may really matter to some people.

Last edited:
I’ve made an interinary for the Philippines to hopefully for sometimes January-March next year for 3 weeks. Do you reckon 5 places in 19 days is too many? 3-4 days per place. 21 days minus one for the flight there and the last day.
Going to Moalboal, Bohol, Port Barton, El Nido and Coron. What I plan to do there is snorkel with whale sharks, canyoneering, chocolate hills, Tarsier spotting, swim with Plankton, island hopping, zip line and a few days of relaxing. I have 5 days of nothing planned and just relaxing (1 day in each place) but some of the activities like island hopping will also be relaxing.
I’m probably going to book in advance as I have to make it back to a certain place on the last day and can’t risk missing my flight home the day after. I’ve also watched YouTube videos on the Philippines and one said it can be hard get the nice places to stay if you book as you go.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

i haven't been to any of these, i removed the ''bucket list items'' that i already did such as ireland, scotland, etc. (i'm not from the uk) i guess my main question would be what was your favourite and what was your least favourite out of those you've been to 😊

how did you like living in amsterdam? that must be the only place i've ever visited that i didn't like!

your upcoming plans sound amazing. i'm especially jealous of greenland! may i ask what is your work, which allowes you to travel this much? for next year my plans are: paris in february, bordeaux in june & ireland (again) probably in september. hoping to get some more local trips in too!
Hi

I have a few favorites - not necessarily from that list: India (been 4 times - really difficult with the current visa situation - I hope it can be resolved), Myanmar (again - not now possible to visit - did a month there in 2019 before the current troubles), Indonesia - amazing diving in the Gili Islands. My favorite country in the world is Italy - I have been there probably 15+ times, and still a lot more to see.

I loved living in Amsterdam - I was head-hunted for a role with a multinational company based there, so was lucky to be there for 18 months. I had already live abroad prior to that and travelled extensively so I fitted in well. I am interested what you didn't like - because I find the centre horrible - prior to living there I'd actually visited 5 times, but always outside the immediate centre.

I am a contractor (as is probably evident by the amount of travelling I am able to do). Usually I do a contract for 12-18 months and then either the client runs out of money or I've had enough, and then I go off for a few months. I haven't actually done that since 2019 due to the pandemic, but am about to book a lengthy trip for the end of next year (or sooner).

Bordeaux is amazing - you will have a great time.

The Dutch can come across as extremely rude / direct when speaking in English. I found it a challenge when i was working over there - particularly the females! I still work in a multinational where we struggle with this - I think generally they're direct, plus when you add in a more limited vocabulary in second language, it can see v harsh. Don't take it personally.

• Heart

Bordeaux is beautiful, especially in the summer in the day time. There is a little train that you can get which is a nice change of scenery. Plus, you get to see all the places you might want to stop off at. I’d be mindful at night though, when I’ve been if you stay out quite late it can get a bit rowdy and feel a little bit unsafe. Nothing too extreme just a bit uncomfortable. But, overall, it’s lovely and I recommend it to everyone.

• Heart
Planning my first trip to Amsterdam next year. Can anybody recommend other towns/cities nearby that is worth a visit
Utrecht is nice, about an hour on the train

Going to New York in December and have been wanting to go ice skating at Rockefeller center but looking at the prices it’s going to be at least $120 for two people! Maybe I’m naive but I really didn’t think it would cost so much!
ouch, went to NY a few tears ago and went skating in Central Park, can’t remember the price but it wasn’t that expensive, double check your travel insurance covers Ice Skating

One thing to bear in mind, which I only found out afterwards, is that if you have visited Cuba since 2018 you cannot get a visa for the USA because Trump put them on the terrorist list. I’ve been to the US before so I’m not really bothered but it may really matter to some people.
Does that include just going to America on holiday
doe

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
London help!!

Me and my parter have one full day in London between flights we are staying at Stansted but will have the full day/evening in London City (first Saturday in December) and looking of ideas of where to go.
We have been several time seen all the touristy sights etc so this day is mostly about eating/drinking, looking for recommendations for the following:

Good food spots - looking more for street food markets etc rather than a full sit down meal

must visit cocktail bars

Good sports bar to watch the world cup

Any fun bars with interactive darts?

Any Christmassy spots we should check out?

Does that include just going to America on holiday
doe
Yes. If you visit Cuba, then going to the US in future will be difficult. You wouldn't be permitted an ESTA and would have to apply months in advance for the more expensive visa which is a more complex process

• Wow
Reactions: 3
We’ve had an awful year, with a family death, other family life limiting illness diagnoses and loss of pets. Serious tit storm!
We have managed a week and a few weekends away (all UK, as couldn’t be too far from home)
Sadly, we still can’t plan too far ahead for 2023, but we would love to do Disneyland Paris for a bit of magic for DD. Won’t be able to plan until last minute tho. We will likely plan a few nights away fairly locally too
I love reading about holiday plans, so please keep them coming ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Be aware that going to Cuba could potentially make travel to the US difficult for you in future.
I had zero issues going to the USA with a Cuban stamp and visa in my passport.

I spent a few weeks in Cuba and then went to the USA later the same year.

Where can I read more about the Cuba/America rules? I went to Cuba then three months later I went to LA and didn’t have any issues at all so I’m completely unaware of all of this!

Where can I read more about the Cuba/America rules? I went to Cuba then three months later I went to LA and didn’t have any issues at all so I’m completely unaware of all of this!
I work in the industry - this is a recent change. You can still go to the US, but it requires a tourist visa. A tourist visa will require a full application, requiring bank statements etc and an interview at the Embassy in London. The whole process can take months, even up to a year, depending on work log.
It will obviously cost more too.

So I drum on about ensuring that passengers read all of visa requirements and apply before booking. Travel insurance will not cover for refusal due to a lack of visa or paperwork and some people will not be aware/might slip through, but it's not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
What would you do?
Can either have an extra day on holiday and my flight land 8am on the Monday I start back work (start 7pm) or come back Sunday morning and not have the extra day

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.