Holidays #2 - 2022 roundup and plans for 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone use prepaid travel cards? I had one a few years ago but looking for recommendations. I usually travel with cash, take some on me when I go places but leave the rest in the hotel in a locked suitcase. But in the Philippines I’m going to be staying in hostels so don’t really want to do that. I’m wary about using my normal debit card in ATMs there as my friends card got cloned abroad and they took all her money.

Does anyone use prepaid travel cards? I had one a few years ago but looking for recommendations. I usually travel with cash, take some on me when I go places but leave the rest in the hotel in a locked suitcase. But in the Philippines I’m going to be staying in hostels so don’t really want to do that. I’m wary about using my normal debit card in ATMs there as my friends card got cloned abroad and they took all her money.
Would Monzo or Revolut cards be any good?....my daughter and her boyfriend used Monzo extensively while travelling round S E Asia and S America - east to open account and transfer money between accounts and can use them in ATMs

Reactions: 3
Would Monzo or Revolut cards be any good?....my daughter and her boyfriend used Monzo extensively while travelling round S E Asia and S America - east to open account and transfer money between accounts and can use them in ATMs
Actually I do have a Monzo account. I just haven’t used it in a while, I’ll have to check it’s still in date. Also somehow need to figure out how to log in! I’ll have a look thanks!

Actually I do have a Monzo account. I just haven’t used it in a while, I’ll have to check it’s still in date. Also somehow need to figure out how to log in! I’ll have a look thanks!
I second Monzo and Revolut. I've recently opened both because I will be travelling a fair amount next year. I am actually leaning towards Revolut but I guess they are pretty much the same

Reactions: 4
I second Monzo and Revolut. I've recently opened both because I will be travelling a fair amount next year. I am actually leaning towards Revolut but I guess they are pretty much the same
Thanks! I’ll have a look. I did open a starling account, which I think I opened for traveling (before covid but then never used for traveling). So I’ll have a look into if starling will be good as from a quick google it seems to be. I have access to the starling app so it’ll make life easier. Just can’t remember if it was because it was good for using when traveling or if I opened it for another reason 🤔

Reactions: 1
Thanks! I’ll have a look. I did open a starling account, which I think I opened for traveling (before covid but then never used for traveling). So I’ll have a look into if starling will be good as from a quick google it seems to be. I have access to the starling app so it’ll make life easier. Just can’t remember if it was because it was good for using when traveling or if I opened it for another reason 🤔
I don't know anything about Starling but Revolut and Monzo are specifically good with their exchange rates as there basically isn't a charge from them for example if the exchange rate is £1 - $4 they will give you something like $3.9999 per £1

• Heart
I don't know anything about Starling but Revolut and Monzo are specifically good with their exchange rates as there basically isn't a charge from them for example if the exchange rate is £1 - $4 they will give you something like $3.9999 per £1
Thank you. I’ll have a proper check of starling tomorrow but from what I’ve read so far it seems alright, no fees for payments or ATM withdrawal and they use Mastercard exchange rate. But I’ll definitely have a look into getting back into my Monzo account!

I have Revolut and N26 (but this one has had problems since last year apparently).
I don't know Monzo, it doesn't exist here.

revolut is very good. i used to have (transfer)wise but they've completely changed and made it very difficult to use it!

revolut is very good. i used to have (transfer)wise but they've completely changed and made it very difficult to use it!
How? I use it, even when I don't travel. Quite useful and transfers are instantaneous (few seconds). I thought it could bee difficult after Brexit but they took EU headquarters...

How? I use it, even when I don't travel. Quite useful and transfers are instantaneous (few seconds). I thought it could bee difficult after Brexit but they took EU headquarters...
they have limits now, block transactions and withdrawals sometimes for no reason and just a few days ago i got an email from them about raising their fees. i'm not from the uk though so it could be different for me (but i am in the eu)

• Wow
they have limits now, block transactions and withdrawals sometimes for no reason and just a few days ago i got an email from them about raising their fees. i'm not from the uk though so it could be different for me (but i am in the eu)
I am in the EU too. Nothing changed yet but since last year I can have a French Iban but I think I still have the Lithanian one (where their headquarters were after Brexit). New card though since months. No problem so far.

• Wow
I am in the EU too. Nothing changed yet but since last year I can have a French Iban but I think I still have the Lithanian one (where their headquarters were after Brexit). New card though since months. No problem so far.
i have a belgian one!

What a fab thread!!

Im off to Strasbourg at the weekend for the Christmas markets, does anyone have any tips?

Had a minimoon in Puglia earlier this year, so happy to repay the favour with any advice for people looking to visit Italy 😊

We’re also planning our honeymoon for this time next year (a road trip covering some of the Southern US), and we are also looking at going to Cuba the following year. So I’m really glad I read this thread and the visa issues because I had no idea!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What a fab thread!!

Im off to Strasbourg at the weekend for the Christmas markets, does anyone have any tips?

Had a minimoon in Puglia earlier this year, so happy to repay the favour with any advice for people looking to visit Italy 😊

We’re also planning our honeymoon for this time next year (a road trip covering some of the Southern US), and we are also looking at going to Cuba the following year. So I’m really glad I read this thread and the visa issues because I had no idea!
Ooh where in the south are you looking to go?? We’re wanting to go to Florida next year then roadtripping to Nashville

• Heart
What a fab thread!!

Let us know what the Christmas markets are like. I've always wanted to do one and was thinking Berlin for next year. But if Strasbourg is amazing come and share some photos

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can’t decide if I want to learn to scuba dive or not (PADI open water course)
I can do it all in the UK but it’ll be at the start of the year so will be freezing 😂, or do part in the UK but the outdoor dives in the Philippines but that would mean missing out on cayoneering in Kasawan falls. Or I do just discover diving in Philippines and don’t do a course just do 2-3 fun dives.
Has anyone else learnt to scuba dive do you think it’s worth it for the amount you use it? Did you enjoy it?
As I’m not sure how much I’d actually use it so maybe the fun dives would be more worth it. I do want to do some dives in other places I’m going in the Philippines not just this one place.

Can’t decide if I want to learn to scuba dive or not (PADI open water course)
I can do it all in the UK but it’ll be at the start of the year so will be freezing 😂, or do part in the UK but the outdoor dives in the Philippines but that would mean missing out on cayoneering in Kasawan falls. Or I do just discover diving in Philippines and don’t do a course just do 2-3 fun dives.
Has anyone else learnt to scuba dive do you think it’s worth it for the amount you use it? Did you enjoy it?
As I’m not sure how much I’d actually use it so maybe the fun dives would be more worth it. I do want to do some dives in other places I’m going in the Philippines not just this one place.
My son learnt to scuba dive when he was a student and volunteering at a marine conservation place in Gansbaai S Africa ( he was working on the shark cage diving boat!- incredible experience if you ever fancy something different!)
anyway he completed his PADI open water course there and was hooked!....he then carried on with his diving at Uni when he got back to U.K. ( he was at Dundee Uni so would go diving for weekend just off Oban on West Coast of Scotland where the water is v clear but very cold! )
He was working his way up the PADI courses doing the theory and practical but then Covid struck and he then graduated and sadly hasn't picked it up again as he's now based in Manchester , but he did say he'd prefer to do it in warmer seas than U.K. as he hated the extra suit he had to wear
my daughter has done a couple of fun dives in Bali where she now works....and has taken some brilliant photos of her dives-the variety of fish was incredible
wish I'd taken it up as a youngster as we've been to the Maldives twice and I'd have loved to have swum with whale sharks or manta rays - snorkelling was good but unfortunately my ears can't cope with pressure change
My daughter's boyfriend holidayed in The Philippines a few years back and had a wonderful time- it looks like a beautiful place - in fact a couple of the staff at our hotel in the Maldives were from the Philippines and were such lovely people and I still keep in touch with them

My son learnt to scuba dive when he was a student and volunteering at a marine conservation place in Gansbaai S Africa ( he was working on the shark cage diving boat!- incredible experience if you ever fancy something different!)
anyway he completed his PADI open water course there and was hooked!....he then carried on with his diving at Uni when he got back to U.K. ( he was at Dundee Uni so would go diving for weekend just off Oban on West Coast of Scotland where the water is v clear but very cold! )
He was working his way up the PADI courses doing the theory and practical but then Covid struck and he then graduated and sadly hasn't picked it up again as he's now based in Manchester , but he did say he'd prefer to do it in warmer seas than U.K. as he hated the extra suit he had to wear
my daughter has done a couple of fun dives in Bali where she now works....and has taken some brilliant photos of her dives-the variety of fish was incredible
wish I'd taken it up as a youngster as we've been to the Maldives twice and I'd have loved to have swum with whale sharks or manta rays - snorkelling was good but unfortunately my ears can't cope with pressure change
My daughter's boyfriend holidayed in The Philippines a few years back and had a wonderful time- it looks like a beautiful place - in fact a couple of the staff at our hotel in the Maldives were from the Philippines and were such lovely people and I still keep in touch with them
I think I’ve decided to just do the discover dives as I don’t think I’ll do that many dives. Don’t think I’d do it in the UK (apart from the training dives). Also don’t want to miss Kasawan falls in the Philippines. The discover dives I’ll probably do it in two areas when I go. Maybe I’ll change my mind as I have emailed a few UK diving places so enquire about doing the course

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.