Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Huxley

Love this thread, long time lurker, now introducing myself with a massive post 😆

I got back into the swing of travel in
2022, went to some great places (Jordan and Colombia being highlights), although I didn’t travel as much as I used to do pre-covid, and to be honest, I don’t think I ever will again. I upsized into a house from a flat during the pandemic, so I have less money than I used to have, as I have been busy renovating & decorating, which just hoovers up cash, and I also got a dog, who I don’t want to leave for too many extended periods of time, so I am focusing on more UK based trips, which I have enjoyed way more than I thought I would.

I still have some nice trips planned for 2023, and feel very lucky and grateful I get to go considering everything that has happened in the world the past few years, and continues to happen. Trips already booked for this year:

1) Paris for my Dad’s 70th birthday in April (this has been moved so many times, for one reason or another, he will be closer to 80 by the time we finally get to go 🤣). Can’t wait to finally go as a family: with parents getting older, it’s important to make these memories and my Dad has never been and always wanted to visit.

2) New York for my 40th birthday in September. This will be my 8th time, and my sister asked me if I was really sure I wanted to go again considering it’s for a special birthday, did I not want to go somewhere new, but I can’t imagine being anywhere else for my big birthday. Want to go and see the view from the Vanderbilt as that’s new since my last trip in Jan 2020, and have afternoon tea at the Plaza - not something I had considered before, but I saw a programme about it and it persuaded me that it was an experience worth doing.

Trips not booked but planned:

3) Nashville in May - huge country music fan, this has been a wish of mine for a while.

4) Bruges or San Sebastián for a long weekend with my university pals.

5) A long weekend of shopping and dining with my best friend in Manchester as I have never been!

6) A city break in Dubrovnik with a friend who I don’t get to see much anymore as she moved back up to Scotland, so will be nice to explore the city and spend some time with her.

I want to spend the period between Christmas and New Year/early January abroad this year (feels strange saying that!) and can’t decide between a houseboat cruise in Kerala (anybody ever been, what’s it like?) or a tour of Northern Thailand and Laos.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14

LouSV

Chatty Member
Feeling a bit down at the moment...Husband has a heart problem which meant we had to cancel 3 x hols this year..Rhodes in Sept, New York in November and Goa in December . Problem is that I live and breath travel, I am so missing it , I am praying we can travel again soon
Meanwhile I wish everyone going on hols soon a lovely time

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Luce0331

VIP Member
Going to New York in December and have been wanting to go ice skating at Rockefeller center but looking at the prices it’s going to be at least $120 for two people! Maybe I’m naive but I really didn’t think it would cost so much!

• Wow
Reactions: 11

bellinibobble

VIP Member
Back from Strasbourg! It was the opening week for the Christmas markets so Saturday was crazy busy, but Sunday and Monday much more manageable. The food was amazing - did nothing but eat the entire time!

Favourite bits - the cathedral, and the architecture in general was fab.

We also visited Baden-Baden, a spa town (very much like Bath!) in Germany that took us about an hour to get to from Strasbourg. It had the classiest Christmas markets I had ever seen. 😍 Really glad we got the chance to visit but wished we had an extra day to do Colmar as well.

Would defo recommend it 😊

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11

101d

VIP Member
I have two holidays booked this year! (Unheard of for me!)

A 4 day lodge break in Norfolk for my ‘mini moon’ and 2 weeks in Mexico at TRS Yucatan for my honey moon! Can’t wait!

Also going Bologna for work which although a work trip I’m counting as a getaway lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Just want to say I randomly came across momondo which is like skyscanner but found they had cheaper flights than skyscanner

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
Booked:

April- Isle of Man girls trip

July- Surprise glamping trip for my husband for his 30th. I’ve booked a little cabin in Wales with a hot tub that has views over Snowdonia national park.

September- Norwegian Fjords cruise for my husband's 30th.

Planning:

Feb/March- hoping to do Amsterdam
October- hoping to do something for our anniversary like Disneyland Paris

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Shoequeen91

VIP Member
I really want to visit a different country/city each month. I know it sounds a lot but I’m talking a UK/Ireland city, as well as European and further afield (for longer periods than an extended weekend). I’m planning on taking leave aligned with Bank Holidays next year to get more out of my annual leave and I know I’ll probably be playing premium for hotels/flights, I’ve been factoring it into my budget. I just think it’s time to start exploring more so why not 🤷🏻‍♀️ lucky to have money saved for this kinda thing so I’m going to dip into it.

Haven’t planned which places yet so any recs greatly appreciated 😊

• Heart

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
I just did something annoying/stupid, at least I only lost £13 😂. Had a voucher for £20 off booking.com on £100+ bookings. So I cancelled a place I had booked thinking I’ll rebook it and use the £20 off. I forgot it had to be on bookings £100 or more. This booking I cancelled was less than £100 and when I went to rebook was £13 more to rebook 🤦‍♀️.

Also booked a spa break today. One night hotel with a 50 min treatment, cream tea, breakfast, £28 evening meal and leisure facility use for £125 each. Thought that was a good deal 😄

Millie2023

We’ve had an awful year, with a family death, other family life limiting illness diagnoses and loss of pets. Serious shit storm!
We have managed a week and a few weekends away (all UK, as couldn’t be too far from home)
Sadly, we still can’t plan too far ahead for 2023, but we would love to do Disneyland Paris for a bit of magic for DD. Won’t be able to plan until last minute tho. We will likely plan a few nights away fairly locally too
I love reading about holiday plans, so please keep them coming ❤

• Heart

soymilk

VIP Member
What would you do?
Can either have an extra day on holiday and my flight land 8am on the Monday I start back work (start 7pm) or come back Sunday morning and not have the extra day
I'd come back on the Sunday, so that I could relax, tidy, put a wash on and get ready for the week etc. Plus, saves the stress of a flight being potentially delayed etc (which has happened on almost every flight I've taken since covid tbh!)

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Ended up booking the Philippines leave on Monday after my night shift and come back Saturday, land Sunday.
Last holiday for next year I’m pretty sure. Just annoying I couldn’t go at the end of next year as my two holidays abroad in the heat are a month apart and in November going away in the UK so will be freezing

• Heart
  • Wow

Pizza

If you go to the castle be in there for 1 as they fire the gun at that time (apart from sundays and a few other days of the year).
We also went the surgeons museum which we loved. Went to watch the lion kin at the playhouse and did some shopping.
To eat we liked everywhere we went. The best places were, the Edinburgh Larder where we had breakfast my friend wanted to go back and still does 😄, Badger&co, @Pizza and the gourmet mash bar. We also went to Lailas which was (is?) popular on tiktok it was alright and nice but probably the worst food out of where we ate and I don’t recommend eating outside as your on a slope.

Just realised I tagged a user in that post 😂 but that’s the name of the place

I have been summoned 😳
I can't help at all though. I live in New Zealand 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7

bellinibobble

VIP Member
I know a lot say Dublin is overrated but I want to go for a couple of days in Feb. I know the hotels are expensive so will only be there max 2 nights, will try to time the flights so I arrive early and depart late. Any highlights for a whistlestop visit? I do love Guinness but I heard the tour is overrated. Also reasonably priced pubs for beer x
I would hardly ever suggest this for anywhere else but the hop on hop off bus tours in Dublin are really good. They have live commentary and the drivers are soooo funny!! Plus it makes it easy to get around the city if you’re limited on time. I think the one I got was a 48 hour ticket as well. I

think the storehouse is worth a visit tbh, especially if you like Guinness, but it can take up a few hours of your day. The Jameson’s whiskey distillery is another good choice. Kilmainham jail is interesting, and the zoo is good. They’ve also got a little natural history museum that I think was free or cheap to go in at least? Also the university is worth a quick stop, the buildings are stunning, as is the district with Georgian architecture.

No food or drink recommendations though which is unusual for me because usually I don’t stop eating wherever I go 🤣

ETA: Lie!!!! I forgot.. you have to get Tayto’s crisps for a snack. They’re the best! Trust me.

LouSV

Chatty Member
Goa just booked for 3 Feb ...so happy to be going back after a 3 year break due to pandemic :)

• Heart
Any recommendations for a late march city/exploring break?. Somewhere in Europe ideally. Not looking. For beach weather but warm enough to walk around in a jacket at most. Have been to Barcelona and Rome.
Lisbon. I love the place. It’s by far my favourite European city.
The food is amazing and the people friendly.
So much to see and do / not do

• Heart

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
Dubrovnik is amazing we went last year would 100% recommend! The views are unbelievable 🥰

So excited for 2023! We’ve 2 holidays booked so far and aim to go on 4.

Disneyland Paris in February - booked
Lanzarote in April over Easter - booked
Planning on Greece or Italy in July/august although hubby wants Croatia so who knows where we’ll end up 😂
Planning on Spain or Portugal in October half term!

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Warpaint

VIP Member
Booked Warsaw for late March. It was around £124 for the flights which doesn't seem too bad as I spend triple that just going to Cambridge a few weeks ago.

Now to spends hours going through hotels :LOL:

• Heart
Reactions: 6