Holidays #2 - 2022 roundup and plans for 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What would you do?
Can either have an extra day on holiday and my flight land 8am on the Monday I start back work (start 7pm) or come back Sunday morning and not have the extra day
I'd come back on the Sunday, so that I could relax, tidy, put a wash on and get ready for the week etc. Plus, saves the stress of a flight being potentially delayed etc (which has happened on almost every flight I've taken since covid tbh!)

Reactions: 8
What would you do?
Can either have an extra day on holiday and my flight land 8am on the Monday I start back work (start 7pm) or come back Sunday morning and not have the extra day
I would come back Sunday morning depending on time of the flight as I hate early morning flights they leave me exhausted all day even if it’s a short flight and you don’t get to have breakfast at the hotel because you have to leave at silly o’clock 😂 but if it’s same flight time on the Sunday anyway I’d enjoy the extra day!

I would come back Sunday morning depending on time of the flight as I hate early morning flights they leave me exhausted all day even if it’s a short flight and you don’t get to have breakfast at the hotel because you have to leave at silly o’clock 😂 but if it’s same flight time on the Sunday anyway I’d enjoy the extra day!
It’s the same time both days it’s a long haul flight. There was actually better flights a few days ago but I was waiting for a card to be able to book them.
Layover in Dubai for 1hour 45mins and also has a technical stopover somewhere in the first half of the flight. Did had one of those before but it makes me worried that we will be late leaving and that I’ll miss my second flight.
To be honest if it all runs on time then landing at 8am on the Monday is perfect for work as I can then sleep and wake up for my shift at 7pm.
It’s just if it’s delayed I’m risking it.

Reactions: 1
It’s the same time both days it’s a long haul flight. There was actually better flights a few days ago but I was waiting for a card to be able to book them.
Layover in Dubai for 1hour 45mins and also has a technical stopover somewhere in the first half of the flight. Did had one of those before but it makes me worried that we will be late leaving and that I’ll miss my second flight.
To be honest if it all runs on time then landing at 8am on the Monday is perfect for work as I can then sleep and wake up for my shift at 7pm.
Guess then depends how strict your work is. Mine would probably just be like eh it's fine, tit happens but if it would be a major issue for them then don't risk it. Also depends I guess what the difference in cost is and whether it is much more to get the extra day. Sometimes an additional day doesn't make too much difference to the overall cost so then I'd prefer to have more time there.

Ahh it’s a tough call then! Maybe pick whichever one is cheaper? I’ve flew a few times this year and had no delays on any flights I think it really is just pot luck!

Guess then depends how strict your work is. Mine would probably just be like eh it's fine, tit happens but if it would be a major issue for them then don't risk it. Also depends I guess what the difference in cost is and whether it is much more to get the extra day. Sometimes an additional day doesn't make too much difference to the overall cost so then I'd prefer to have more time there.
It’s happened to others before and they just had to be fine with it as what else could they do. Thinking about it I’ll probably land Sunday as I’d have someone to pick me up from the airport whereas Monday I’d probably need a taxi or train

Ahh it’s a tough call then! Maybe pick whichever one is cheaper? I’ve flew a few times this year and had no delays on any flights I think it really is just pot luck!
They are basically the same price I think £4 different. That’s what also makes me want to come back for the Monday I’ve had one delayed flight in October but other than that I haven’t, even when flying Ryanair 😂
It’s the technical layover which worries me though if it wasn’t for that I’d probably go back for the Monday. As I’m worried there will be a delay with that and with only the 1hr45mins in Dubai I’d be scared of missing that flight

I thought it was applicable from 12th January 2021 which is the designation date (State Sponsors of Terrorism - United States Department of State)? My boss and his wife visited Cuba in January 2020 and had no issues since travelling to the US including their most recent visit in June 2022.
Well, the US government have failed to clear this up with US embassies, but they have stated that even though it was only put on SST list last year, the designation was backdated by 11 years.

However IATA goes from the date it was put on SST list and airlines will follow IATA guidelines.

So although it may be easy enough to get onto the aircraft and get to USA, you may be turned away at US immigration...and my God, the US can be thorough. When I travelled to Miami, a couple of months ago, the normal immigration queue was 3 hours long, when we eventually got to the desk, they insisted on asking my kids questions like 'what's your daddy's name?' etc...I wouldn't risk it personally.

(By all means, most people will probably slip through but everyone should take responsibility of checking visa requirements before they travel and if they follow the 2022 designation, that's up to them. But travel insurance will not pay out if they're refused.)

Reactions: 3
Ended up booking the Philippines leave on Monday after my night shift and come back Saturday, land Sunday.
Last holiday for next year I’m pretty sure. Just annoying I couldn’t go at the end of next year as my two holidays abroad in the heat are a month apart and in November going away in the UK so will be freezing

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Well, the US government have failed to clear this up with US embassies, but they have stated that even though it was only put on SST list last year, the designation was backdated by 11 years.

However IATA goes from the date it was put on SST list and airlines will follow IATA guidelines.

So although it may be easy enough to get onto the aircraft and get to USA, you may be turned away at US immigration...and my God, the US can be thorough. When I travelled to Miami, a couple of months ago, the normal immigration queue was 3 hours long, when we eventually got to the desk, they insisted on asking my kids questions like 'what's your daddy's name?' etc...I wouldn't risk it personally.

(By all means, most people will probably slip through but everyone should take responsibility of checking visa requirements before they travel and if they follow the 2022 designation, that's up to them. But travel insurance will not pay out if they're refused.)

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question but could this be avoided if someone just got a new passport made? My mum was supposed to fly to Mexico with a change of flight in USA. Because they've been to Cuba for New Years this year travel agent just suggesting making a new passport so there's no stamp from Cuba. They didn't go to Mexico in the end but I was just wondering because it seems too easy haha. Could Americans get the info about visiting Cuba in any other way?

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question but could this be avoided if someone just got a new passport made? My mum was supposed to fly to Mexico with a change of flight in USA. Because they've been to Cuba for New Years this year travel agent just suggesting making a new passport so there's no stamp from Cuba. They didn't go to Mexico in the end but I was just wondering because it seems too easy haha. Could Americans get the info about visiting Cuba in any other way?
You would still be lying on a govt form ie on the ESTA application. I have no doubt people will slip through, it all depends on whether people want to risk potential hassle at the US border.

Reactions: 2
Who knows what information they see. But entry into US either requires a Visa or ESTA (Visa waiver). Every time someone gets a new passport, a new ESTA is required.

As far as I know, the ESTA form does not currently ask the question regarding travel to Cuba but it does ask about Iraq, Syria etc. Therefore, if the question doesn't exist, then no lies are told...iykwim and an ESTA will be granted.

If the ESTA form is updated and then asks the question, then it's always better to answer truthfully. An untruthful answer can result in any visa being rejected in the future. (Every qualifying question needs to be answered 'No')

Another thing is an ESTA doesn't guarantee entry. Even if approved.

As far as I'm aware, US port of entry are on the lookout for stamped passports and attached Cuban tourist cards, so if these don't exist, then there has been no problems. BUT that doesn't mean there won't be problems for a traveller in future.

As an airline employee, I have come across it all, so I'm always quite wary and try and follow the official advice. But this Cuban rule is quite bizarre in that nobody actually knows anything! And if the US embassies/IATA are singing from a different hymn sheet to Homeland Security, then US border officials have no chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I don't understand why going back 11 years? It was Obama's government then? Why an odd number?

(I am not going back to Cuba or the USA anytime soon but I have two EU nationalities anyway, so two passports. That would do the trick 😂 )

I don't understand why going back 11 years? It was Obama's government then? Why an odd number?

(I am not going back to Cuba or the USA anytime soon but I have two EU nationalities anyway, so two passports. That would do the trick 😂 )
Well precisely. Obama lifted travel sanctions in 2011 and so I'm presuming the Trump administration, backdated by 11 years to cover that period.

There's been talk of Biden administration amending this ruling (so it only covers from 2021) but nothing yet.

London help!!

Me and my parter have one full day in London between flights we are staying at Stansted but will have the full day/evening in London City (first Saturday in December) and looking of ideas of where to go.
We have been several time seen all the touristy sights etc so this day is mostly about eating/drinking, looking for recommendations for the following:

Good food spots - looking more for street food markets etc rather than a full sit down meal

must visit cocktail bars

Good sports bar to watch the world cup

Any fun bars with interactive darts?

Any Christmassy spots we should check out?
Anyone? :(

My favourite sports bar is Bar Kick in Shoreditch. For food spots maybe Coal Drops Yard? So many shops and restaurants there and it's really nice.

I also saw there's new ice skating rink at Battersea Power station, might be worth checking it out.

Reactions: 4
A must do for me in London in December is wander down Carnaby Street although it will be super busy on a Saturday. Kingly Court is good for more casual eating options but can get very busy. Do love Covent Garden to see the giant tree and decorations as well and its not far to walk between. For sports, the Porterhouse Pub in Covent Garden is pretty good, although I've only ever watched rugby there. I'm sure they'll be showing the football world cup though!

Booked Warsaw for late March. It was around £124 for the flights which doesn't seem too bad as I spend triple that just going to Cambridge a few weeks ago.

Now to spends hours going through hotels :LOL:

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.