Holidays #2 - 2022 roundup and plans for 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We’re going to Iceland over Xmas (24-31), cos we found some cheap flights (£300pp).

We’re doing blue lagoon and northern lights (fingers crossed we see them!). Also going to book the golden circle and south Iceland tour with some glacier hiking. We are mindful that it will be expensive food wise so will be getting some supermarket supplies from here to snack on!

We also got a 0% credit card with free oversea fees so using that!

Share some of your bucket list travel ideas. There’s so many places I still don’t even know about!
My list is - Japan (cherry blossom season), Philippines, Bali and Thailand! Also Mexico and Costa Rica! We managed to do hot air balloons in Cappdocia this year, which has been on my list for a while, and hopefully northern lights in Iceland this year! We also managed to do a road trip down the west coast of usa last year!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just in case people are not aware but Iceland is not the best place to see the Northern Lights it’s very much more miss than hit.
It the Northern Lights is a bucket list item then you need to go to Norway

Reactions: 5
Share some of your bucket list travel ideas. There’s so many places I still don’t even know about!
ooh here's my top 10!
i took off the ones i've already done 😁
1. angkor wat, cambodia
2. machu picchu, peru
3. bagan, myanmar
(can you tell i like temples 😅)
4. seeing the northern lights so either svalbard or norway
5. japan, just everywhere in japan
6. doing the whole trans-siberian railway from moscow to vladivostok
7. bora bora
8. alaska
9. travel from argentina to antarctica
10. nepal and bhutan share this one!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My bucket list places/places to see
- Philippines
- Northern lights
- Turkey for Cappadocia and Pamukkale
- Bit random and probably the least likely to happen but I’d love to go to a football game in a South American country (preferably Argentina)
- HaLong Bay
- I’d love to go to a rodeo in Canada
- Songkran in Thailand
- Galapagos Islands
I’d need to win the lottery anyway but another I’d definitely need to win money for an Antarctic cruise since I saw Karas and Nate’s and I thought it looked amazing

Just adding Lapland onto it as well and doing a dog sled ride

Just in case people are not aware but Iceland is not the best place to see the Northern Lights it’s very much more miss than hit.
I did have a quick look at Norway specifically Tromso maybe I’ll have a better read into it before I book

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I feel the same (but with cats) my mum stays at my house to look after them whilst I’m away. I have two holidays for next year booked and looking at a third but feel bad she says she doesn’t mind though. I do the same and look after their dog whilst she’s away but that’s only usually once a year as they normally take him with them on their other holiday. He is getting old now so unfortunately probably doesn’t have many years left (although we recently put our other dog to sleep and she lived for about 3 years longer than we expected). She said she’d get a cat after him so I’m tempted to ask her to have my two for a few months so I can travel more in that time without her having to come to my house.
Could you put your dog into boarding for one holiday or even two? Pick the shorter durations so he isn’t there as long and your mother in law look after him when you go to America if that’ll be longer?
My boyfriend will not allow him to go into boarding lol. However the day care he sometimes goes has dogs to stay over with one of the girls at the nighttime and they take them into day care with them during the day so that’s an option sometime maybe! America would probably just be a week as been before and it would be cheaper lol.

My other main bucket list places are:
Vietnam
South Africa
Philippines

My bucket list places/places to see
- Philippines
- Northern lights
- Turkey for Cappadocia and Pamukkale
- Bit random and probably the least likely to happen but I’d love to go to a football game in a South American country (preferably Argentina)
- HaLong Bay
- I’d love to go to a rodeo in Canada
- Songkran in Thailand
- Galapagos Islands
I’d need to win the lottery anyway but another I’d definitely need to win money for an Antarctic cruise since I saw Karas and Nate’s and I thought it looked amazing

Just adding Lapland onto it as well and doing a dog sled ride

I did have a quick look at Norway specifically Tromso maybe I’ll have a better read into it before I book
I went to a football game in the maracana in Brazil.. it was an experience! Haha

Reactions: 2
We’ve booked to go to Cuba in May 2023 and I’m slightly nervous about it. I’ve only ever been the usual Spain/Greece before and it’s very out of my comfort zone but my boyfriend really wanted to go. Has anyone been Cuba before?

Reactions: 1
Finland too I reckon (Lapland)

We’ve booked to go to Cuba in May 2023 and I’m slightly nervous about it. I’ve only ever been the usual Spain/Greece before and it’s very out of my comfort zone but my boyfriend really wanted to go. Has anyone been Cuba before?
You will love it and people are really nice. Read from here, we talked about it in the previous thread

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
omg yeeesss!! me too
Some in their thread said it looked boring. But that last day they had was amazing. Plus the polar plunge and just the overall experience but at £26k (I think) the lottery win is needed for that 😂

Finland too I reckon (Lapland)

You will love it and people are really nice. Read from here, we talked about it in the previous thread
I put Lapland and northern lights on my bucket list so maybe it’s worth me just paying more to do both at once. Have you been? (If you have anything you recommend?)

Reactions: 2
Some in their thread said it looked boring. But that last day they had was amazing. Plus the polar plunge and just the overall experience but at £26k (I think) the lottery win is needed for that 😂
didn't even know they had a thread, not a big fan of them but the cruise i thought looked spectacular! i cried at the whales 🥺 i checked the price immediately after watching it hahaha it was about €33,000 per person i think

Yesss! Absolutely loved it, one of my favourite places I’ve ever been! It’s making me smile just thinking about it. I had heard a few bad things before I went but found them to be untrue in my experience, why are you nervous? Where are you going in Cuba? I can tell you so many things about Cuba, what would you like to know?

Has anyone ever been to a wedding in the Maldives? We have been there before but, never been for a wedding and will have a baby by that time!

Yesss! Absolutely loved it, one of my favourite places I’ve ever been! It’s making me smile just thinking about it. I had heard a few bad things before I went but found them to be untrue in my experience, why are you nervous? Where are you going in Cuba? I can tell you so many things about Cuba, what would you like to know?
What have you heard before going? :unsure:

Cuba is lovely and you'll have a great time... (but, working in the industry, I feel like I really need to add this)...please bare in mind, that going to Cuba will make you ineligible to participate in the visa waiver programme to go to the USA if you ever want to go in the future.
You will need to apply for a tourist visa, which costs more and appointments for an interview can take months.

Please, please whatever you do, don't book to go to USA (after Cuba) until you have this visa in place.

Reactions: 4
What have you heard before going? :unsure:
I had heard that the locals hassle the tourists and ask them loads of questions etc which I did not find to be true and I went to Havana, Trinidad, Viñales and a few places in between. People are friendly but I never felt hassled or unsafe. We never had people coming up to us, for example.

We’re booked at an all inclusive resort in Varadero, it’s more nervous for the flight (I’ve never flown long haul) and for being in a different environment a long way from home. I’m a very anxious person and I like to plan every little detail to the t but I’m trying to go with the flow this time which I think is just making me nervous over nothing lmao. I also worry that going to a place where the local people are not very well off, then staying in an expensive resort where they basically wait on you hand and foot just feels…I don’t know, maybe it’s just the way people have been framing it. I’ve done some reading and will bring money to tip the staff and leave toiletries behind.

It looks beautiful and I know I’m being nervous for nothing but fear of the unknown has got me in a chokehold 🙈

ooh here's my top 10!
i took off the ones i've already done 😁
1. angkor wat, cambodia
2. machu picchu, peru
3. bagan, myanmar
(can you tell i like temples 😅)
4. seeing the northern lights so either svalbard or norway
5. japan, just everywhere in japan
6. doing the whole trans-siberian railway from moscow to vladivostok
7. bora bora
8. alaska
9. travel from argentina to antarctica
10. nepal and bhutan share this one!
I was wondering if you'd been to them or if they were aspirational? I've done: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 (about to go to Greenland) / 5 / 6 / 9 - argentina and 10 - nepal.

So feel free to ask questions!

To the person who was asking about Amsterdam - I used to live there - there is tons to do if you haven't been before, unless you're going for a long time, I wouldn't venture out. Just get outside the immediate centre and there are lots of local things to do, that show you a real flavour of dutch life.

I've been to somewhere around 77 countries so far - should be adding another 6 or 7 next year to the list.

Cuba - do not be worried. It's v safe - I spent 3 or 4 weeks backpacking round the West side. If you're in an IA you'll be on a package - all will be well. Just be aware that going to Cuba now will mean you cannot go to the US without a visa due to a rule change this year.

In terms of my bucket list, I have trips planned in the next 18 months to: Greenland / Cape Verde / Australia (been twice before) + NZ + Cook Islands + Singapore (been before) / Central America overland (Mexico to Colombia via all 8 countries and then a boat from Panama to Colombia).

I basically live for travel!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I was wondering if you'd been to them or if they were aspirational? I've done: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 (about to go to Greenland) / 5 / 6 / 9 - argentina and 10 - nepal.

So feel free to ask questions!

To the person who was asking about Amsterdam - I used to live there - there is tons to do if you haven't been before, unless you're going for a long time, I wouldn't venture out. Just get outside the immediate centre and there are lots of local things to do, that show you a real flavour of dutch life.

I've been to somewhere around 77 countries so far - should be adding another 6 or 7 next year to the list.

Cuba - do not be worried. It's v safe - I spent 3 or 4 weeks backpacking round the West side. If you're in an IA you'll be on a package - all will be well. Just be aware that going to Cuba now will mean you cannot go to the US without a visa due to a rule change this year.

In terms of my bucket list, I have trips planned in the next 18 months to: Greenland / Cape Verde / Australia (been twice before) + NZ + Cook Islands + Singapore (been before) / Central America overland (Mexico to Colombia via all 8 countries and then a boat from Panama to Colombia).

I basically live for travel!
wow you're living my dream!

i haven't been to any of these, i removed the ''bucket list items'' that i already did such as ireland, scotland, etc. (i'm not from the uk) i guess my main question would be what was your favourite and what was your least favourite out of those you've been to 😊

how did you like living in amsterdam? that must be the only place i've ever visited that i didn't like!

your upcoming plans sound amazing. i'm especially jealous of greenland! may i ask what is your work, which allowes you to travel this much? for next year my plans are: paris in february, bordeaux in june & ireland (again) probably in september. hoping to get some more local trips in too!

• Heart
Yeah, Warsaw is alright if you're into history etc, I like Krakow better. March will likely still be pretty cold so hope you don't mind snow 🤣
I'm going for the history so think cold weather would be a good addition.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.