Hannah Gale #3 A leopard never changes its spots, just its domain name

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I grew up in the North East of England and can absolutely assure you that it’s common practice to say it there - or at least was in the 90s/00s. So I imagine, depending on where that commenter comes from, it might have been all they knew for a while that people around them said it...

I am in my 30sand had also never even heard anyone use it. I cannot imagine it is a common word unless you are a UKIP voter tbh

Reactions: 10
Oh bless Hannah, she’s been reading our comments and seen we know Ziggy’s name so has gone and had a clear out of followers on her personal account!! Looks like you deleted the wrong people!! Not everyone thinks you’re a top lad hun!!!

This is why she missed work lads
loving you for the Tea but be careful this doesn’t become another brogan/becca rose situation, we wouldn’t want to lose you on the forum.

Back to Hannah,

she really does live in lala land 🤣 ‘the pregnancy i thought I would have’ with another parent at home!? Does she realise what a fortune position she was in? Most pregnant women have to actually GO to work 🤦🏽‍♀️ Even in a pandemic you had frontline pregnant women at work and even if they worked from home or didn’t work at all, very rare to have 2 parents at home! She probably only got pregnant because she thought chris would be home all the time to do everything

i’m currently pregnant and looking my toddler whilst my husband works practically all week , I don’t complain, I just get on with it because I knew it would be like this.

again ‘woe is me’ Hannah Always feels the need to play the victim in every situation 🙄

Reactions: 21
I grew up in the North East of England and can absolutely assure you that it’s common practice to say it there - or at least was in the 90s/00s. So I imagine, depending on where that commenter comes from, it might have been all they knew for a while that people around them said it...
I think everyone acting like they are so ‘woke’ they have never even heard the word is lying 😂 I will admit I used to think it was a shortered name for the Chinese (ignorant on my part and obviously now I know otherwise)
It was probably the same case for Hannah, however she has completely handled it wrong And hasn’t showed that she has educated herself in any way and admitted she completely ignored the messages asking her to take it down. If she had just admitted she didn’t understand the Word and apologised we may not even be having this convo!

Reactions: 23
Mary Agyeiwaa Agyapong.. a PREGNANT BAME nurse who worked at an NHS hospital during the covid pandemic who tragically lost her life due to virus. Maybe when Hannah reads here that will put her 'missed out' pregnancy into perspective.

• Heart
Gosh this really has turned into a mess hasn't it.

It's disappointing to see Hannah end up this way. I loved her blog back before she had a baby (I always zone out from influencers once they have children, as their content always changes). When I first discovered her through a viral list she became one of my favourites. I loved her vlogs. I also really liked that she was so open about mental health when it wasn't as common for it to be discussed online. She just seemed like a normal person and relatable in a way that most people I followed didn't.

It is very disappointing to see how she has handled this. The fact she didn't take it down after being told countless times makes it hard for her to explain, as she can't do the usual oh god I had no idea/didn't realise at the time it was bad/forgot I had ever written it/know better now. And then another mistake of just acting like all is fine and everyone had forgotten, and the blocking of words like BLM and racism from her comments is insane and so unacceptable. I really don't know where she will go from here...

Reactions: 20
Oh bless Hannah, she’s been reading our comments and seen we know Ziggy’s name so has gone and had a clear out of followers on her personal account!! Looks like you deleted the wrong people!! Not everyone thinks you’re a top lad hun!!!

Amazing 👏🏻🙌🏻👀 we love you. Please more tea!

Grieving the pregnancy she thought she'd have. She's so dramatic. Her writing is always the same, it reminds me of the "sob stories" on x factor. This big woe is me, tears, life is so hard.... Then the music comes.... BUT I know I'll be ok, I'm stronger than I think.... Music crescendo....I GOT THIS ❤..... Music fades.... everything is going to be ok/I wouldn't want it any other way/then I look around and realise life isn't so bad. The end.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Amazing 👏🏻🙌🏻👀 we love you. Please more tea!

Grieving the pregnancy she thought she'd have. She's so dramatic. Her writing is always the same, it reminds me of the "sob stories" on x factor. This big woe is me, tears, life is so hard.... Then the music comes.... BUT I know I'll be ok, I'm stronger than I think.... Music crescendo....I GOT THIS ❤..... Music fades.... everything is going to be ok/I wouldn't want it any other way/then I look around and realise life isn't so bad. The end.
Imagine writing like this on your personal account too. What a whopper 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I’m not being funny but second pregnancy with a toddler is never going to be a chill walk in the park of lunches and pregnancy messages. I just remember spending most of mine dealing with toddler tantrums, putting CBeebies on constant repeat and hoping that the baby would decide to come at a convenient time so we could have childcare in place.
It may sound trite but the world did not stop and I had to continue to be a mum, worked right up until the day I had the baby (from home as a digital writer and social media marketeer no less!)

It was less enjoying it and more getting on with it.

LADS, I didn’t even get a nap!

This makes me a little bit uncomfortable, feel like it crosses a line that doesn’t need to be crossed...

Reactions: 7
I’m not being funny but second pregnancy with a toddler is never going to be a chill walk in the park of lunches and pregnancy messages. I just remember spending most of mine dealing with toddler tantrums, putting CBeebies on constant repeat and hoping that the baby would decide to come at a convenient time so we could have childcare in place.
It may sound trite but the world did not stop and I had to continue to be a mum, worked right up until the day I had the baby (from home as a digital writer and social media marketeer no less!)

It was less enjoying it and more getting on with it.

LADS, I didn’t even get a nap!
I agree. Your second pregnancy is completely different from your first. You have so much less time to daydream about your baby, you don’t need to go and look at prams and car seats because you already have them etc. You just have to get on with looking after your toddler / child and the baby grows in the background.

Reactions: 6
The followers have stagnated around the 7,200 odds. On Friday when they launched I expected they would have smashed over 10 000 by Monday. I wonder if they will gain any more followers. They must have been anticipating hitting the 10,000 fairly quickly.

Reactions: 6
I think everyone acting like they are so ‘woke’ they have never even heard the word is lying 😂 I will admit I used to think it was a shortered name for the Chinese (ignorant on my part and obviously now I know otherwise)
It was probably the same case for Hannah, however she has completely handled it wrong And hasn’t showed that she has educated herself in any way and admitted she completely ignored the messages asking her to take it down. If she had just admitted she didn’t understand the Word and apologised we may not even be having this convo!
I've heard it but I've always recognised it to be a racist slur. She wasn't an 80 year old using the term in the 50s, she was a young woman writing this in 2013 where it was pretty widely known to be offensive and she should have known better. There really is no excuse to use it, if she was ignorant about its meaning she should have educated herself instead of avoiding the issue.

Reactions: 15
Jesus Christ. If her “work” (selfies, aldi hauls, period oversharing, hastily written “5 min read” paragraphs on body positivity and mental health, freebie hunting) is what gives her purpose... then I feel really sorry for her, not even being ironic here.

Reactions: 13
Is her brother transgender? He is in the long orange dress in the top pic and has changed his name to Poppy. I’m sure Hannah wouldn’t like slurs being made against him but it’s no biggie to make racial slurs
Just FYI is you think her sibling is trans, referring to her as a man is transphobic. Let's not drag her family into this if they've got nothing to do with it - am sure they didn't ask Hannah to post a crappy non-apology!

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I find it odd she always refers to her and her boyfriend looking after their son as “childcare” to me that’s something a nanny/nursery do! It’s very obvious from that post that she thought she would be able to just lounge around in bed when she felt ill/tired but that’s just not the reality for 90% of regular pregnant women with toddlers! I hope she realises now what a privileged position she was in, I had to under two at one point with my husband back at work after his two week paternity leave, it’s called reality

Reactions: 18
I've heard it but I've always recognised it to be a racist slur. She wasn't an 80 year old using the term in the 50s, she was a young woman writing this in 2013 where it was pretty widely known to be offensive and she should have known better. There really is no excuse to use it, if she was ignorant about its meaning she should have educated herself instead of avoiding the issue.
I think for me, the thing isn't even the original mistake - people do make bad choices and if you hear it casually your whole life, and you've never experienced racism (hello white privilege!) then you probably won't question it. I remember being 13 years old before I realised the P word was a slur because of where I grew up! HOWEVER. It's Hannah's dedication to keeping it up WAY after people had informed her it was racist as hell, the defending it by claiming she never read the posts, then avoiding all responsibility and not apologising - that's the crux of it, isn't it?

Obviously none of us expect everyone to be perfect all the time - but we do expect an apology and some clear actions to be taken as a result of it!

Reactions: 21
I think for me, the thing isn't even the original mistake - people do make bad choices and if you hear it casually your whole life, and you've never experienced racism (hello white privilege!) then you probably won't question it. I remember being 13 years old before I realised the P word was a slur because of where I grew up! HOWEVER. It's Hannah's dedication to keeping it up WAY after people had informed her it was racist as hell, the defending it by claiming she never read the posts, then avoiding all responsibility and not apologising - that's the crux of it, isn't it?

Obviously none of us expect everyone to be perfect all the time - but we do expect an apology and some clear actions to be taken as a result of it!
Yes, to an extent I agree but she was what, in her mid-20s using the slur? It's quite widely known to be a racist slur, and since she studied at Kingston so she must have had at least some contact with people from different backgrounds. Unless she existed in a vaccum there was really no excuse for her to have used that term.

Ignoring the issue and posting a half-baked apology only makes it worse imo.

Reactions: 10
I grew up in the NE and it was widely used (90s/00s). There was a Chinese takeaway just outside of our school gates that did a lunch time special for kids (soz Jamie Oliver) and I remember that it was always referred to as that particular slur. Just like certain corner shops were known as the 'P' word.

It seems wild to think of that happening now but I know that back then when I was school age I didn't know to question it, I didn't know it was racist and didn't understand using words like that would hurt people.

The problem so many of us have with it is that she was 24/25 at the time of writing the blogpost and should have known better. Especially someone who was writing for national magazines.

But even if we give her the benefit of the doubt and imagine that she didn't know any better even at the age she was, and it truly was ignorance. How she handled it afterward is just as damaging as the slur its self.

The deleting of comments (comments she claims she didn't see - how does that work?). The silence in June when all her peers were posting BLM support. Her forced non apologies. Her refusal to reply to fair and constructive comments. The victim mentality. The arrogant return. The "I want to create a diverse space" but blocking key words that would allow diversity and discussion.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.