Hannah Gale #3 A leopard never changes its spots, just its domain name

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isn’t it totally heartbreaking. I had a friend at school who had a very similar experience with bully’s using the word C word for Chinese and she is still dealing with the emotional after effects of it as a 30 year old woman. This is why people need to learn why it’s so bad and Hannah has a platform where she can do that and write a proper article regarding the background of the word and how she has learnt about how awful it is and how she has learnt that but she is just downright refusing. It’s disgraceful and disgusting.

Reactions: 14
What a great comment that person left and I hope the person who seemed to think it was a normal
Word to use see’s the long term impact such terms have on actual human beings.

i hope no one even dares to say anything negative back to that poster to try and defend Hannah!

Reactions: 8
They've opened up comments to everyone on their posts now and probably stopped censoring key words too.
This is the issue really, she only changes things when she's under extreme pressure to, she only apologises once she is backed into a corner.
Would she have ever released The Statement if she hadn't received negative comments? No way! She wanted to reappear and rehash the same aldi special buys, midi skirts, crime drama blog posts. Hoping everyone had forgotten about it. Would she have taken limited comments off if people hadn't called her out for it? No. Would she have kept certain words hidden if people hadn't noticed. Yes. She only apologised first time around when she was publically outed.

Reactions: 19
I have a feeling she is working on a blog post about all this.

great if she is, but also what’s effing point of doing it when its been asked of you. It should have been the first come back post she did.

Reactions: 13
I’m hoping that she posts a proper, decent, sincere apology that takes full responsibility, proves that she has truly worked to educate herself and then donates some of that ad revenue money to causes to help those impacted by racism. Also that she stops posting 20 midi skirts from Sainsbury’s as content and starts thinking about the ethics and sustainability of her output, I’ll be willing to move on. Can’t see much of this happening though. I used to love Hannah. Just sad it’s ended up like this. Very glad they’ve fixed the comments though. It’s a good start.

Also as a side note, the posts that have been published so far seem really “off the cuff, ooh let’s write about this”. A good content calendar, writing some solid evergreen content a week or two ahead of time so it’s already scheduled and then peppering in news and product launches will make life a helluva lot easier. It seems they’ve launched with no content lined up ahead of time. I say this because I was the worst for it and would end up posting random stuff just to “get something up” 😂

Reactions: 16
I think whatever she does now isn't going to be good enough really. She's left it far too late and whatever online venture she attempts is going to be tainted by both her original attitude and the actions she's taken since. Her blog and Instagram (I say her, because it's clear Gemma has no influence here) are both superficial and materialistic, and all she can seemingly write are puff pieces. She needs to just call it a day and find something else to do.

The blogging world has moved on since she was in her prime, and we expect something much deeper and considered from social media now (at least I know I do). I want to read about a POC designer that I can support, or a post about how white allies can keep the momentum moving. I've bought several books about inclusivity for my child based on what other influencers have showcased, and this is the kind of content we need, not a badly worded press release on the new sainsburys sandwich.

Reactions: 17
I’m hoping that she posts a proper, decent, sincere apology that takes full responsibility, proves that she has truly worked to educate herself and then donates some of that ad revenue money to causes to help those impacted by racism and stops posting 20 midi skirts from Sainsbury’s as content and starts thinking about the ethics and sustainability of her output, I’ll be willing to move on. Can’t see much of this happening though. I used to love Hannah. Just sad it’s ended up like this. Very glad they’ve fixed the comments though. It’s a good start.
I do hope she is, like really do. I used to like Hannah’s posts back in the day and it’s such a shame to watch her create her own demise by just being absolutely despicably lazy and ignorant. As above, with those poor people having anxious thoughts well into adulthood as a result of being racially bullied, I do also feel like it would be hypocritical not to mention that this could also be seriously harmful for Hannah and her anxiety levels too and this could have an effect on her kids - literally a huge group of people are watching her every move. While she has absolutely NOT done the right thing at all and I don’t think she could have done less at this point and the whole thing is just such a tremendous tit show, I think it’s important to be mindful of PND/anxiety and what effects this situation could have on her long term too. It’s very easy to turn off the noise when you feel anxious and burry your head in the sand when you are being backed into a corner (as I’m sure a lot of people will understand) and I can imagine she is feeling the heat a lot right now - understandably and rightly so, but there is definitely a line. We do have to remember she used an abhorrent racial slur when referring to a take away, at no point did she bully or racially abuse anyone. I think I’m more playing devils advocate here more than anything but just some food for thought. She really just needs to move on with her life and find another venture if she can’t handle the heat and stand up and take responsibility for her actions and words, especially when her WORDS are are JOB. People are more than welcome to correct me if they think I’m wrong but please don’t jump on me for attempting to see the other side of the story!

Reactions: 27
I do hope she is, like really do. I used to like Hannah’s posts back in the day and it’s such a shame to watch her create her own demise by just being absolutely despicably lazy and ignorant. As above, with those poor people having anxious thoughts well into adulthood as a result of being racially bullied, I do also feel like it would be hypocritical not to mention that this could also be seriously harmful for Hannah and her anxiety levels too and this could have an effect on her kids - literally a huge group of people are watching her every move. While she has absolutely NOT done the right thing at all and I don’t think she could have done less at this point and the whole thing is just such a tremendous tit show, I think it’s important to be mindful of PND/anxiety and what effects this situation could have on her long term too. It’s very easy to turn off the noise when you feel anxious and burry your head in the sand when you are being backed into a corner (as I’m sure a lot of people will understand) and I can imagine she is feeling the heat a lot right now - understandably and rightly so, but there is definitely a line. We do have to remember she used an abhorrent racial slur when referring to a take away, at no point did she bully or racially abuse anyone. I think I’m more playing devils advocate here more than anything but just some food for thought. She really just needs to move on with her life and find another venture if she can’t handle the heat and stand up and take responsibility for her actions and words, especially when her WORDS are are JOB. People are more than welcome to correct me if they think I’m wrong but please don’t jump on me for attempting to see the other side of the story!
Oh I totally understand your point and think that it’s fair to say that she is probably suffering right now but then again I have spoken to my friend about this whole situation and she suffers from some fairly awful PTSD due to the bullying and the use of that particular C for Chinese word. As thousands of other people from Asian backgrounds also do. This whole saga has brought back so many feelings for her so despite recognising how anxious she must be right now on the other hand I’m angry at Hannah for not taking the time and effort to learn properly from her mistake and do what other influencers have done and used their platform MEANINGFULLY to be more inclusive. I just had a look at who ‘The Leopard’ is following and it all just seems way too performative to me as to who they are now following - ‘oh wait let me follow a bunch of BAME Instagram accounts so I can seem like I actually care’.
Yes her use of the word wasn’t directed at a person but even just the use of that word AT ALL in literally any situation or dialogue is just so derogatory and appalling.

edited for more words.

Reactions: 9
I agree in the sense that there's no need to make it personal, or bring her family into it - but I think people have really spelt out for her what they want her to do, given her examples and if her ignoring them is making her feel bullied I think that's on her.

I get your point that she didn't actively racially absue anyone, but using a slur, excusing it, using it in her original 'apology' (I mean come on Hannah) still contributes to racism, and getting called out it just the consequences of her actions imo

Reactions: 12
Alex Steadman still following though...

Sure! This is what I’ve been sending to brands...

Hey there! As a brand I love and have purchased from many times in the past, I just wanted to highlight that a new blog/account has popped up called @theleoparduk with ex-influencer Hannah Gale at the front of it. You may recall that before she took a break from the internet, Hannah was asked to apologise for racist slurs she had made in previous blog posts. With her new venture, it seems she’s not actively addressing what she learned from being held accountable, or properly apologised for what she did and people in minority communities are still very upset about it. It has now also come to light that rather than address this issue and open up a dialogue, she’s using instagram’s filters to block keywords such as “racism” “BLM” and “apology” on her posts. Therefore, I hope that your brand will not be working with her in future or offering her any gifted or discounted products. I would very much appreciate a response to this message. Best wishes.
Thank you so much for this! I got a really great reply from Joanie clothing after I flagged that they were following The Leopard and they've raised this with the full team as multiple staff members use the brand account, and they thanked me for bringing it to their attention. Happy days!

Reactions: 14
I do agree, but I'm also slightly confused as to why she decided to make a comeback now when her baby is only 2 months old, if that? No one forced her to come back now.

I also don't think it takes a genius to figure out that she should have started the whole venture with an article about what she'd learned over the last five months and by starting a conversation about it with her followers. As someone above said, Erica Davies has done a great job of sharing more diverse accounts - there are definitely other accounts out there that she could have been learning from about diversity and inclusiveness the last wee while. It was incredibly ignorant of her to expect this would have all blown over and just goes to highlight her privilege.

I agree with others that the whole thing is incredibly tone deaf and fickle. I don't want mass produced midi skirts; I want ethically made clothes from small businesses. I don't want to read about Sainsbury's sandwich; I want to hear about their advert and why white people continuing their education and speaking out is so important. As others have said, posts about POC-owned businesses and more diverse children's books - that's the kind of content I'm after. She's completely failed to grasp that the world has moved on. It maybe would have flown 5 years ago but I feel we all expect a bit more depth to content we consume on social media these days.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Indeed, no one forced her to come back now, post partum, ***without a proper apology***, to take this heat. Heat is entirely her fault and her choice. Had she adressed the issue first thing and in depth on a blog post, she wouldn't be having problems now. Some people could still refuse to follow, but I doubt she'd have to limit comments. It's a right tit show, yes, but one of her own making. Her refusal to do what's right is a big "duck you" to people asking (not to mention stubborn stupidity, as it's sinking her brand). Sorry, no sympathy here for laziness and entitlement.

As for inclusive content, ethically made clothes from small business... Well, that was never Hannah's target audience and she knows it. She mostly writes for the cash strapped twenty something/housewife to whom a lunch time trip to H&M to spend £15 on a new jumper is cheap therapy (not judging) and she wouldn't want to alienate her core readership. We're here for the car crash, but her faithful readers are the ones who buy what she flogs so she owes them stuff they can relate to.

I don't think she's wrong for sticking to her guns a bit when it comes to content, but she reaaally doesn't have to be THAT lazy and repetitive; there are ways to jazz things up and adapt your voice to different times. For example, don't just panic follow POC influencers and creators; FEATURE THEM. That's how smart influencers conduct their businesses and grow. But that requires focus, dedication and (sorry to be blunt) not producing a newborn when you still have a toddler if you simply cannot function as a working mother. (sorry for typos and grammar)

Reactions: 10
I think it’s a little bit contradictory to imply Hannah is being bullied whilst also describing her in a way that could be considered bullying (despicably lazy...) Also, casual racism is almost worse than deliberate- it implies it’s really ingrained, at least to me!

I think it’s a little bit contradictory to imply Hannah is being bullied whilst also describing her in a way that could be considered bullying (despicably lazy...) Also, casual racism is almost worse than deliberate- it implies it’s really ingrained, at least to me!
Sorry sorry, I didn’t mean to imply she was being bullied because she isn’t - people are literally just raising the point to her, literally GIVING her words to say and she is still choosing to ignore it, it is entitled and it is clearly ingrained - she is incredibly privileged to be able to not give 2 tosses about current and ongoing topics in the world but instead write about ducking Sainsbury’s sandwiches and aldi chocolate.

I just kind of meant with regards to writing to brands that she may work with in the future, writing to people following her now and ostracising her and making her feel utterly shamed and like she is the only person in the entire world to ever use a casual racial slur probably is the reason she is not coming out and writing anything at all because she’s genuinely fearful that she may say something wrong I would assume. We should all be working together on this, learning together and working towards a better future in which racism is completely abolished. As I said, if she doesn’t want to acknowledge this or take the heat and right her wrong and learn from it openly then she needs to move on and do something else well away from thousands of people on the internet who are ALL moving forward and learning and bettering but if she does then I feel like there is a line seeing as there is much more work to be done on social media and in the world than jumping on some fashion blogger continuously and probably giving her a some kind of nervous breakdown because she literally cannot say anything right to some. And no, I am absolutely not taking away the pain and hurt that this saga has caused people, it’s an uncomfortable subject to talk about and I will straight up call her out for her racism but there is creating open discussions in order to teach and learn and progress and then there is running someone off the internet and destroying their mental health That’s all!

Of course, the other side to this is that she might not give a tit at all and genuinely might not be planning to say anything about any of it and in that case then I’m seriously disappointed that people even give her blog and internet opinions the time of day and that she clearly thinks she’s above offending others just to write about her crappy midi skirts and food.

She’s hired a PR person! (I am one myself, it’s clear when one has infiltrated 😂) there’s no way they’ve written that statement themselves. Fleeing again. Sigh.

Reactions: 19
😂😂😂 well The Leopard went down well. She’ll be back in the new year with posts about learning etc etc and using all of your comments to inspire her on what to write, I guarantee it 👍

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.