Hannah Gale #13 Hannah Gale and the MaGiCaL nEw ChApTeR, Featuring As Few Children As Possible

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sitting in bed while your child is unsupervised with their friend? On the first day of school
hols?

Surely she is trolling us now.

If my little boy had a friend over I’d have made sure to plan at least one thing, and involved myself too to supervise especially given another parent has essentially handed me responsibility, they’re 5, not 15!

Reactions: 19
Sitting in bed while your child is unsupervised with their friend? On the first day of school
hols?

Surely she is trolling us now.

If my little boy had a friend over I’d have made sure to plan at least one thing, and involved myself too to supervise especially given another parent has essentially handed me responsibility, they’re 5, not 15!
To be fair, unsupervised play is meant to be really good for children’s development, although this article suggests from the age of six is best: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...sed-play-is-it-time-we-cut-the-apron-strings/

Reactions: 1
That’s not what she was doing though…
Fair enough, but she is in bed. If I was the parent of the other child though I wouldn’t be particularly happy. I know 5 year olds have some level of independence and as the article you posted explains that has benefits, but when it’s someone else’s child there’s a difference IMO. If it were me, and we had a play date in the diary and I was unwell, I’d cancel.

Reactions: 10
Fair enough, but she is in bed. If I was the parent of the other child though I wouldn’t be particularly happy. I know 5 year olds have some level of independence and as the article you posted explains that has benefits, but when it’s someone else’s child there’s a difference IMO. If it were me, and we had a play date in the diary and I was unwell, I’d cancel.
BINGO. I find out my kid is at a playdate and the mom is still in bed while my kid is there.. and we have a problem. A VERY big one.

Reactions: 25
Nah sorry, if she was a scheme mum on benefits lying in her bed while her kid & pal played people would be outraged!!

Reactions: 24
I wouldn’t directly supervise my 5 year old at all times if he had a friend over, like I’d let them play upstairs alone and check on them every now and then. But staying in bed is weird

Reactions: 14
I'm all for independent play but I wouldn't leave my kid and their friend to occupy themselves whilst I was in bed in a different room.

If nothing else, it's potentially dangerous. If I was the parent of that friend I would be fuming.

Reactions: 9
I wouldn’t directly supervise my 5 year old at all times if he had a friend over, like I’d let them play upstairs alone and check on them every now and then. But staying in bed is weird
I wonder if it’s because she doesn’t actually have anywhere else to go, say one of the boys was in the living room, and then his brother and pal were in his bedroom, she doesn’t have anywhere else to hide?
Apart from her being lazy, I suspect it’s down to this

Reactions: 4
Agreed it's fine to let 5 yos play alone. I let my 4 yo play alone upstairs or outside with a friend, but I listen carefully, and if it goes quiet or sounds too rowdy, then I re-direct. Many kids that age are sensible enough not to do anything completely daft or dangerous. I've also taken my kid to other people's houses and they've gone off to play upstairs whilst we had a cup of tea downstairs, I think it's pretty normal tbh. Though perhaps not being in bed!

Reactions: 7
Eh, she said she was “working” from her bed so imo it’s only like relaxing on the sofa watching tv while the kids play in another room.

Reactions: 6
Living in a 2 bedroom flat if the kids are playing in the open plan living room you would go to your bedroom to work and give them space, it's no big deal. And it's a flat, so she is literally in the next room 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 6
Just paly next to that massive mirror that's just leaning against the walls guys. I've got some influencing to do.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.