Grace Beverley #23 Greg Beggerley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“My current life affords less flexibility rather than more” compared to what? How does she think the rest of us live? Asking our bosses to leave 5 times a week for beauty appointments rather than 4 and taking 30 holidays instead of her meagre 29? She’s ridiculous. She hasn’t got the faintest clue of how real people’s lives work

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 50
Spoken like someone who’s never had to do a proper job interview. Firstly, it's easy enough to say 'design a task from the job description', but a lot of job descriptions are incredibly vague, even if it's for a good role. There's a risk of embarrassing yourself - if you assume wrongly and present a task that isn't relevant to your role, you've wasted time in your interview that could've been spent actually doing what the interviewers want.

Giving your interviewers a presentation they didn't even ask for is exactly the type of cute interview advice that 'entrepreneur' influencers dish out that rarely works in the real world. I'm sure Grace loves her candidates doing tricks for her in the interview, but a lot of this kind of stuff can go down badly and it isn't worth the risk, especially if it's your dream job. I really don't like this sentiment that putting in extra effort means that you need to do things that weren't even asked of you in the job interview process - to me, that just favours people that are risk-takers, doesn't necessarily mean you're better for the role than someone who decided to stick to what they were asked to do.

Also- "Everyone loves data! Data shows experience! Data shows you can hold your own!" - what does this even mean? as the years go on she is just coming out with pure gibberish
Yeah this just screams to me the toxic workplace culture mindset she has. Normal organisation with HR and real working practices would not promote this at all. Especially from someone who pretends to be “inclusive”

I do a lot of recruitment and we have to ask every candidate the same questions and you score them against the same matrix. We do usually include a short presentation/ task to allow a bit more creativity. but you have to prove a fair recruitment process. Offering someone a job based off an unsolicited piece of work is outrageous if everyone’s not been given the opportunity.

“Not all workplaces are amazing at hiring” as if she’s the blueprint 😂😂 yes because you are great at hiring with “competitive pay” publicly broadcasting how much you cba to recruit and giving people “tasks” that by the sound of previous interviewees are things like designing FULL ON STRATEGIES that you can steal and take credit for

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Yeah this just screams to me the toxic workplace culture mindset she has. Normal organisation with HR and real working practices would not promote this at all. Especially from someone who pretends to be “inclusive”

I do a lot of recruitment and we have to ask every candidate the same questions and you score them against the same matrix. We do usually include a short presentation/ task to allow a bit more creativity. but you have to prove a fair recruitment process. Offering someone a job based off an unsolicited piece of work is outrageous if everyone’s not been given the opportunity.

“Not all workplaces are amazing at hiring” as if she’s the blueprint 😂😂 yes because you are great at hiring with “competitive pay” publicly broadcasting how much you cba to recruit and giving people “tasks” that by the sound of previous interviewees are things like designing FULL ON STRATEGIES that you can steal and take credit for
If someone asked me if they could do this, I’d tell them no. I don’t have time to listen to your invented gibberish (data! duck off greg!) especially if they’d not already done enough in the interview. It’s completely insane advice, please for the love of god don’t do this! The interviewers will not thank you for wasting their time. As part of the interview, you’ll have an opportunity to ask questions, and the interviewer may ask if you have anything else to say that you didn’t get the chance to (both of which you should definitely prepare for), but don’t barge in with something completely inane and unasked for. MY GOD.

Reactions: 23
She hires people that can't spell, she hires people who don't spell check the dyslexic persons work. She hires people who are fans of hers. She hires people without giving them money transparency. She hires people who miss deadlines. She hires people who respond to criticism with rude remarks. She hires people who are deluded into thinking that they are not working in fast fashion. She hires people who have to pretend to be okay with her regular holidays and beauty appointments. She hires people who won't question her lack of knowledge or the fact she's just a face to a merch business.
The list goes on so 😆😅

• Heart
Reactions: 33
“My current life affords less flexibility rather than more” compared to what? How does she think the rest of us live? Asking our bosses to leave 5 times a week for beauty appointments rather than 4 and taking 30 holidays instead of her meagre 29? She’s ridiculous. She hasn’t got the faintest clue of how real people’s lives work
Proving once again how insufferable she is. She should just admit she’s money hungry and took advantage of the sustainability trend to make as much money as she could, as quickly as possible, at the expense of actual sustainability.

Reactions: 24
"While I'm young an full of energy" = while I still have fans who will buy my glorified merch

Reactions: 18
I really bloody hope women don’t take Greg’s advice. You can go on tiktok and search “job interview advice” and there are some incredible experienced creators sharing really great advice that comes from a viewpoint of good job fit and boundaries. It is 2023, NO candidate should be doing a bleeping project outside of the official process. If a job hinges on me producing work outside of said official process then it isn’t a dream job. It is a workplace that will take advantage of me. Greg needs to be really cautious that her “instafame” isn’t blinding her employees real job satisfaction. Time will tell. Ugh her advice reminds me of inexperienced managers I worked with in the early 2000’s

Reactions: 35
So this essentially translates to I want as much money as possible doesn’t it lmao. & totally, I mean her life couldn’t be any more flexible unless she actually just stopped pretending to work!

Also what does she know about job interviews? She has hasn’t done any above entry level herself!

Reactions: 21
It's such a stupid idea. Trying to guess what your role might entail puts you at such a risk of actually getting it wrong even if well intentioned, and even if the work was by some stroke of luck relevant, it's not necessarily helpful to the staff interviewing you as they won't know what parameters you set yourself to do this random work or if you got help to put it together etc.

Personally I believe you'd be much better off presenting a case study of work you've done in the past that you feel is relevant to the advertised role - this is also something you can present to other companies so is a much more valuable use of your time when job hunting

Reactions: 14
Greg saying she had the shock of her life when she got to university and they didn’t teach her how to write an essay?

Respectfully, if you don’t know how to write an essay by the time you get to uni, what are they teaching at UK schools? Genuinely I don’t know, as I’m not from the UK. But I sure as tit knew how to write an essay when I went to uni, and I’m from a developing nation so 👀

Also - I know there’s an entire conversation to be had about privilege and education and I’m by no means saying that being able to write an essay/finish school/go to uni is necessary/accessible/equitable/a sign of real intelligence etc. etc. but in this very specific slice of the population, how does an Oxford student not know how to write an essay?

Reactions: 25
Greg saying she had the shock of her life when she got to university and they didn’t teach her how to write an essay?

Respectfully, if you don’t know how to write an essay by the time you get to uni, what are they teaching at UK schools? Genuinely I don’t know, as I’m not from the UK. But I sure as tit knew how to write an essay when I went to uni, and I’m from a developing nation so 👀

Also - I know there’s an entire conversation to be had about privilege and education and I’m by no means saying that being able to write an essay/finish school/go to uni is necessary/accessible/equitable/a sign of real intelligence etc. etc. but in this very specific slice of the population, how does an Oxford student not know how to write an essay?
i can’t speak for typical uk schools as i did an international degree in the UK, but when i got to uni i was very surprised. a lot of english people from uk schools had never written an essay outside of an exam, never researched anything properly, never referenced anything etc. i think proper essay writing isn’t taught in UK schools

Reactions: 14
I went to school in the UK and we did essays from the start of secondary school. Obv not to university standard but we definitely learned about presenting arguments and writing in this structure.

The only thing that was new to me was referencing, and I think I had the standard uni experience of handing in my first piece of work, getting a not great mark and a comment of "no references", then googling it. University is supposed to be self lead learning so I don't get why this so outrageous. University improvement is about reading your personalised feedback and adjusting, if you can't do this by the time you're an adult at a uni (especially oxford) maybe you shouldn't be there.

Reactions: 27
i can’t speak for typical uk schools as i did an international degree in the UK, but when i got to uni i was very surprised. a lot of english people from uk schools had never written an essay outside of an exam, never researched anything properly, never referenced anything etc. i think proper essay writing isn’t taught in UK schools
I would agree, I've taught academic English before for native speakers as part of a foundation course and was shocked at the level of some people's essay writing tbh. That said I don't think you could get into oxbridge with that lack of knowledge

Reactions: 9
As someone who teaches in a university (not oxbridge!), I’m finding that most students aren’t necessarily taught “how” to write an essay. They have written essays and extended pieces of writing, but often we see no intros/conclusions/referencing/formation of arguments. I think it’s because teachers at schools are trying so hard to teach content > writing skills. Can only speak for my experience!

Reactions: 15
I did 3 science A levels and didn't have to write an essay for 2 years. We did at GSCE in English/Geography/History so I had the basic knowledge of point evidence explain and add a bibliography, but full referencing was completely new to me!

Reactions: 8
Maybe it depends on what type of English subject you did for GCSE/ A levels and the subjects within them. I know for my class we did literature only so did lots on essay writing and structure, but completely missed out on English language that we had exams on. Equally, all 4 other sets did English language and media, but no literature

Reactions: 4
I did literature across three subjects to A-level so got taught how to do proper essays including referencing, but like others have said, it might not be the case for other subjects. Having said that, I find it hard to believe that her spenny school wouldn’t have spoon-fed her basic essay structures. She did french (thank you Tattle for providing the receipts - https://tattle.life/threads/grace-beverley-grace-fit-uk.21/page-49#post-1459958) so would be surprised if essay-writing wasn’t part of at least that A-level.

Reactions: 11
I think what it actually is, is students being annoyed when they get to university and they aren't being spoon fed every single aspect to help them best fulfill the markscheme.
Throughout GCSEs and a levels the majority of students will desperately cling to any writing structures that they are taught but the vast majority won't necessarily take the initiative to think about how to make those writing structures best work for them because that requires y'know independent thought 🤔
And so I can very easily see that when Greg got to university she probably threw a bit of tantrum that Oxford weren't telling her exactly what she needed to include in essays and weren't giving her highlighted copies of markschemes and assessment objectives they expect you to take initiative and build your own thesis /approach.

Reactions: 18
I think what it actually is, is students being annoyed when they get to university and they aren't being spoon fed every single aspect to help them best fulfill the markscheme.
Throughout GCSEs and a levels the majority of students will desperately cling to any writing structures that they are taught but the vast majority won't necessarily take the initiative to think about how to make those writing structures best work for them because that requires y'know independent thought 🤔
And so I can very easily see that when Greg got to university she probably threw a bit of tantrum that Oxford weren't telling her exactly what she needed to include in essays and weren't giving her highlighted copies of markschemes and assessment objectives they expect you to take initiative and build your own thesis /approach.
This is also one of the consumers imo.of uni being made a business rather than a place.to.learn, debate etc. Students just want to leave with a degree for a job (understandably as its so expensive) but I (and I imagine other people here) see the consequences when students leave with basically no initiative and wanting to b spoon fed everything

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.