Grace Beverley #18 Jeffrey Grezos: Flying all over for some French baguette, ignoring Ziggy lest we forget

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why is she sorting her sky box during the working day and treating it as part of her schedule? Deal with your bills in the evening or at the weekend like everyone else does

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Why is she sorting her sky box during the working day and treating it as part of her schedule? Deal with your bills in the evening or at the weekend like everyone else does
I don’t know if she thinks it is funny joking about talking about her broken sky box in therapy but I really don’t think it is.
I assume she is just trying to get sky to come and fix it free, ffs just pay someone , cheapskate

Reactions: 12
It seems like every day I notice a new influencer with enormous success who entirely owes it to their wealthy upper class background, but makes a concerted effort to scrub their privilege from their socials.

The latest one I came across was Julian Roberts (telltalefood) who is a food/lifestyle country bumpkin blogger. His narrative is he's a former London chef who gave it all up to start over on a small farm in the countryside and grow his own food. Lovely stuff. Except he's a privately educated scrub who's only worked 6 months in his life (he's 28) at a family friend's restaurant in Holland Park, and his 'smallholding' is his parent's second home in Dorset, where he still lives with them. But look at his socials and you'd be convinced he's a hard working independent farmer! And now he has a BOOK DEAL. With no real life experience or expertise to speak of, just a pretty blonde boy bleeping around with a couple of goats and making a lot of pasta dishes at his parents house with no income and no expenses.

Idk why this enrages me so much, maybe it's because I'm starting to see it everywhere. Kids of wealthy parents who have apparently made their passion project (be it painting, cooking, fitness, whatever) into a livelihood, but actually are just bums cosplaying as independent small business owners. So many kids are going to follow these people and look up to them, and assume that lifestyle is attainable because they're so opaque about how they afforded it in the first place. And they all just go on and get pats on the back, book deals, interviews, sponsorships and become spokespeople for important issues (farmboy is on a campaign about 'people knowing where their food comes from' - that's nice, but I don't think people trying to feed their families on £10/week care about organic produce) and they are NOT authorities on these subjects but they pretend to be, and people listen.

I'll leave it there but I just needed to vent. I've been raging about this phenomenon all week and my boyfriend doesn't get why I'm so mad about it 😅😅
Its always been like this, for ages, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Kylie Jenner, P Diddy, Mark Zuckerberg ,Richard Branson etc all childern of millionaires or wealthy middle class parents or granparents. Conna Walker, likes to brag abount her working class parents, but her millionaire parents paid for her private school, and funded celebboutique ( with her mum, as a director), but they have moved all company accounts outside the UK, not a sniff of her in any USA accounts, but at least she is "Founder" , "Chief designer " & Front woman of the family operations , real CEOs/ COO are her parents, its all smoke and mirrors

Reactions: 15
Its always been like this, for ages, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Kylie Jenner, P Diddy, Mark Zuckerberg ,Richard Branson etc all childern of millionaires or wealthy middle class parents or granparents. Conna Walker, likes to brag abount her working class parents, but her millionaire parents paid for her private school, and funded celebboutique ( with her mum, as a director), but they have moved all company accounts outside the UK, not a sniff of her in any USA accounts, but at least she is "Founder" , "Chief designer " & Front woman of the family operations , real CEOs/ COO are her parents, its all smoke and mirrors
I think the thing with those people vs people like grace is that influencers have traded on their personalities and being normal people, their family wealth is really purposely hidden

Reactions: 10
I think the thing with those people vs people like grace is that influencers have traded on their personalities and being normal people, their family wealth is really purposely hidden
yes and no
yes and no Elon Musk, downlayed Daddys money , P Diddy downlayed his private school education, Mark Zuckerberg made it seem like it was his beginnings were meritocratic , he pinched his social network idea , and parent helped in networking funding, Richard Branson , really tried to sell, the idea, he came from a lower middle class household, daddy was a barrister & his grandmother left him a nice little inheritance , Conna Walker touted working class cred, when her Parents are new money. my point is they are all the same, liars and blaggers, only difference is Grez is our generation, and its much easier via the internet to discover her background and catch her out , when she lies, exaggerates etc, watch it , as she get wealthier, they will be more meet and greets for her adoring grezzlers and less oportunities to allow her to duck up in public or online, she will have a well oiled PR and legal team, scrubbing her rep, bit like Conna Walker, and she makes more money, they will be more more invested in her PR, look, fashion etc, her insta stories will be a well groomed mini production, with staff etc 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
yes and no

yes and no Elon Musk, downlayed Daddys money , P Diddy downlayed his private school education, Mark Zuckerberg made it seem like it was his beginnings were meritocratic , he pinched his social network idea , and parent helped in networking funding, Richard Branson , really tried to sell, the idea, he came from a lower middle class household, daddy was a barrister & his grandmother left him a nice little inheritance , Conna Walker touted working class cred, when her Parents are new money. my point is they are all the same, liars and blaggers, only difference is Grez is our generation, and its much easier via the internet to discover her background and catch her out , when she lies, exaggerates etc, watch it , as she get wealthier, they will be more meet and greets for her adoring grezzlers and less oportunities to allow her to duck up in public or online, she will have a well oiled PR and legal team, scrubbing her rep, bit like Conna Walker, and she makes more money, they will be more more invested in her PR, look, fashion etc, her insta stories will be a well groomed mini production, with staff etc 😁
That’s true, I guess the main difference is that Grez has made her money acting as if she is a friend, no one who isn’t a fan is buying that tala crap and I guess that’s why it feels even more disingenuous

Reactions: 11
Yeah exactly, I think it's obvious that most super famous wealthy people are born into that wealth and/or wouldn't be there without it.

With influencers it is much more difficult to sniff out, because (not in Grace's case any more because she loves to flaunt her wealth, but) often they do appear to be living relatively 'normal' lifestyles which are comfortable, yes, but not obviously and visibly powered by pre existing wealth unless you know what you're looking for. It's a level of success which looks totally attainable to the untrained eye - as if anyone with a hobby and a social media account can emulate that success.

And that's why it's damaging, because they make it look like their lovely lifestyle was hard earned and a product of their own modest talents, so their followers assume they might also one day be able to live in a mews house in Notting hill just by painting pictures of boobs, or buy a cottage in Somerset and make cakes all day. These people aren't living outlandish-looking lives, so it must be something we can all aspire to, if we can only ~follow our dreams~. Every time I see a 17 year old claim they're just gonna buy a farm and live out their cottagecore dreams instead of 'dreaming of labour' it's evident that the kids following these influencers really think it has nothing to do with social class.

Reactions: 11
Yeah exactly, I think it's obvious that most super famous wealthy people are born into that wealth and/or wouldn't be there without it.

With influencers it is much more difficult to sniff out, because (not in Grace's case any more because she loves to flaunt her wealth, but) often they do appear to be living relatively 'normal' lifestyles which are comfortable, yes, but not obviously and visibly powered by pre existing wealth unless you know what you're looking for. It's a level of success which looks totally attainable to the untrained eye - as if anyone with a hobby and a social media account can emulate that success.

And that's why it's damaging, because they make it look like their lovely lifestyle was hard earned and a product of their own modest talents, so their followers assume they might also one day be able to live in a mews house in Notting hill just by painting pictures of boobs, or buy a cottage in Somerset and make cakes all day. These people aren't living outlandish-looking lives, so it must be something we can all aspire to, if we can only ~follow our dreams~. Every time I see a 17 year old claim they're just gonna buy a farm and live out their cottagecore dreams instead of 'dreaming of labour' it's evident that the kids following these influencers really think it has nothing to do with social class.
Yes it a bit of both really, if you are fragile, it will damage you if u cant emulate peole like Grace, but sometimes by sheer ignorance, luck, talent and no one telling you, u cant do it,or ignoring them, u can get success

Reactions: 1
Because she doesn’t do anything in the day. Woman steals a living by doing duck all.

Reactions: 6
She didn’t actually speak that much so it was easy enough to skip through. The first question she was asked was whether she would change her social media content to be more mindful of her followers who might be feeling the squeeze. She dodges the question and says her social media is a boring representation of her work day… lol. Posting those stupid schedules every day doesn’t take away from the fact that her social media is like any other influencer flaunting designer items, trips to the Maldives, etc.

She was also asked if her employees have asked for wage increases as a result of the cost of living crisis. Again she dodges the question, saying something vague about how this is still all quite recent (but then earlier she says people have been struggling for a while?). Doesn’t answer the question of what her business is doing to help her employees which is a shame since it was an interesting and pertinent question.

It was impressive, I don’t think she directly answered any of the questions, she just delivered canned responses. What exactly was the point of bringing on a multimillionaire to talk about the cost of living crisis? At the very least she should’ve spoken candidly about how employers should support their employees at this time, but they just tactlessly switched to talking about the recent TALA investments.

Reactions: 46
She didn’t actually speak that much so it was easy enough to skip through. The first question she was asked was whether she would change her social media content to be more mindful of her followers who might be feeling the squeeze. She dodges the question and says her social media is a boring representation of her work day… lol. Posting those stupid schedules every day doesn’t take away from the fact that her social media is like any other influencer flaunting designer items, trips to the Maldives, etc.

She was also asked if her employees have asked for wage increases as a result of the cost of living crisis. Again she dodges the question, saying something vague about how this is still all quite recent (but then earlier she says people have been struggling for a while?). Doesn’t answer the question of what her business is doing to help her employees which is a shame since it was an interesting and pertinent question.

It was impressive, I don’t think she directly answered any of the questions, she just delivered canned responses. What exactly was the point of bringing on a multimillionaire to talk about the cost of living crisis? At the very least she should’ve spoken candidly about how employers should support their employees at this time, but they just tactlessly switched to talking about the recent TALA investments.
So as said before, she should be a politician.

She's not said much on it on her Instagram, bet she's not happy with her performance as normally she'd plaster it everywhere

Reactions: 30

Lol it kinda seemed like Grace thought they would ask her about the topics themselves as if she was some sort of economic expert, but instead it sounds like they asked her about how the topics relate to herself, her social media and her business (which makes way more sense). I bet Grace hated the question about changing her social media to be more mindful to her followers. She loooves to pretend this affects her as much as her followers and I'm sure she hated that the host distinguished her as a rich person.

Reactions: 27
Lol it kinda seemed like Grace thought they would ask her about the topics themselves as if she was some sort of economic expert, but instead it sounds like they asked her about how the topics relate to herself, her social media and her business (which makes way more sense). I bet Grace hated the question about changing her social media to be more mindful to her followers. She loooves to pretend this affects her as much as her followers and I'm sure she hated that the host distinguished her as a rich person.
I can imagine it was a shock, all the podcasts she’s been on before seem to just lick her arse about how successful she is from fellow privileged social media entrepreneurs. Unlike BBC who will actually ask her challenging retrospective questions. I can’t believe she wouldn’t state whether her employees would get a pay rise in line with inflation (bare minimum imo), she should know whether she is or not considering the new tax year is approaching.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
It's very telling that she didn't take the opportunity to boast about her employees' salaries. Is it because she knows there's something to criticise, or because she simply does not know how much they are paid? A lot of reputable employers have pay spines that are visible to the general public, but not TALA, even though Grace is constantly crowing about owning a gamechanging, ethical business.

She's happy to brag about considering buying coffee machines and other workplace 'benefits' that collectively probably cost around £5K at most as a one-off. I wonder how short her junior employees' annual salaries are from a reasonable amount - I would bet it is more than £5K, collectively. Top it off by considering how much she's offering for her senior roles and how much she must be paying herself and it doesn't sound good at all.

Reactions: 32
It's very telling that she didn't take the opportunity to boast about her employees' salaries. Is it because she knows there's something to criticise, or because she simply does not know how much they are paid? A lot of reputable employers have pay spines that are visible to the general public, but not TALA, even though Grace is constantly crowing about owning a gamechanging, ethical business.

She's happy to brag about considering buying coffee machines and other workplace 'benefits' that collectively probably cost around £5K at most as a one-off. I wonder how short her junior employees' annual salaries are from a reasonable amount - I would bet it is more than £5K, collectively. Top it off by considering how much she's offering for her senior roles and how much she must be paying herself and it doesn't sound good at all.
she has had enough BBC interviews, BBC Radio 5 live - Wake Up to Money - 'Jeff Bezos doesn't get contacted when a package is left outside and gets rained on - I do' , She defintely has a PR adviser, sitting with her, they would have had pre interview prepared questions for her, definitely has mummy and daddys middle class friends \ contacts in the BBC , this is a PR exercise for her business, some of her investors are Venture capital firms ,founded by ex management consultants , like her Dad, he obviously brokered these deals.These were soft questions, hardly hardly hitting, they allowed her to give answers, that helped to PR her business, nicely, its a fluff piece

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
I just browsed through it. I looved when the host called Grace out on her scarcity marketing - in a long-winded answer to a previous question, Grace boasted about having 8000 people on a waiting list to get one of their products (I'm presuming that ugly blue sweatshirt) and the host kinda cut her off and was like "wow, that sounds good at first glance, but isn't it kind of a problem to have so many people on a waiting list? Like if i was a baker and had 8000 people waiting in line for my bread, pretty quickly I'd start making more bread". Once again Grace didn't really answer.

Also, she came off as offended in some cases, like when the host called her an influencer and when she asked why her investors decided to invest in activewear now

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.