Gender Discussion #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love the sketch 'woke support group' on Tracey Ullman's Tracey Breaks the News. I can't post a clip but it's in the BBC Comedy FB page.
I love the quote 'this is a support group for people who are so woke they don't know how to have fun' (paraphrasing). So bloody true!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
There's a young Black American dancer who was taking up Irish dancing and is absolutely brilliant at it. Do I see this as 'cultural appropriation' and an outrage and an affront? No I think it's absolutely brilliant and is appreciation more than anything. Cultural appropriation seems like another way of keeping people divided and telling them they can't do this or that

Cultures evolve and grow. I can understand some cases where cultural appropriation might apply but in a lot of cases it's an overused term
I personally feel the same way that it’s appreciation but it seems odd that anyone who isn’t Scottish or Irish can be wearing head to toe tartan, possibly even my own family’s tartan, which is fine, wear what you like, but at the same time they could tell me I’ve not to wear a kimono style dress (or whatever) 🤔 and they don’t see the problem.

Reactions: 11
I personally feel the same way that it’s appreciation but it seems odd that anyone who isn’t Scottish or Irish can be wearing head to toe tartan, possibly even my own family’s tartan, which is fine, wear what you like, but at the same time they could tell me I’ve not to wear a kimono style dress (or whatever) 🤔 and they don’t see the problem.
This is what annoys me. Cultural appropriation only seems to work one way.

Reactions: 15
I don’t watch the Simpson’s but wouldn’t surprise me.
yeah they did, the new epsidoes are awful so I don't watch but it never made sense to me, the simpsons effectively just made fun of all of its characters

Reactions: 8
That Freddy McConnell has pissed me off so much. I really don't understand how you can give birth and then be triggered by the word mother.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Doesn’t sound like fun. And while cultural appropriation is a big issue, mixed people should be able to celebrate all their cultures, not be left out for being white-adjacent. That seems a lot of rules for a party… we should know not to wear ‘costumes’ that are from other cultures for parties now.
I hate these 'rules'. Cultural appropriation had a specific definition in a specific context. It now has become virtually meaningless, because cooking spaghetti as a Brit would be cultural appropriation by this new (and insane) definition.

Clothes are clothes. Let people wear what they want. It's obvious when it's disrespectful. I'm from an area that has a very distinctive national dress. It's often worn as a costume over here in the UK. No one cares, because no one feels worried about offending Germans. I don't care much either. It's very easy for me to see when it's worn as a piss-take and is an easy signal for me to avoid those people. I've also seen hen parties or similar have a good old time dressing up in the dresses and I say, go for it.

I know there's an argument about profiting from cultures (when companies cheaply produce stuff that has value in a certain culture, etc.), but I honestly think that's a problem caused by capitalism. If you wanted to wear my traditional dress bought from a traditional dressmaker or company, it would easily set you back hundreds of pounds. Get a horrible knock-off made of polyester from China and it's #20.

Ultimately, all of this leads to more division. I have various traditional outfits from countries I have no familial ties to, that were given to me by people I worked with in those countries. I couldn't wear them now here, because I'd get attacked for it by a bunch of 'right-on' friends I have. It's so beyond stupid. We should be happy to share our cultures.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
“Government sponsored sterilisation” this isn’t even sensationalist this is propaganda?!!

how can you equate BIRTH certificates to sterilisation?!!
They are......we just don't recognise your delusion which is the difference.

What in the actual duck?!

Wasting period products for this is so ridiculous, they could just donate to women shelters and do some good for actual women for once but then obviously they‘re just narcissistic men who want to fetishise being a woman and feed their need for attention, so that will not be happening.

• Sick
Reactions: 24
I hate these 'rules'. Cultural appropriation had a specific definition in a specific context. It now has become virtually meaningless, because cooking spaghetti as a Brit would be cultural appropriation by this new (and insane) definition.

Clothes are clothes. Let people wear what they want. It's obvious when it's disrespectful. I'm from an area that has a very distinctive national dress. It's often worn as a costume over here in the UK. No one cares, because no one feels worried about offending Germans. I don't care much either. It's very easy for me to see when it's worn as a piss-take and is an easy signal for me to avoid those people. I've also seen hen parties or similar have a good old time dressing up in the dresses and I say, go for it.

I know there's an argument about profiting from cultures (when companies cheaply produce stuff that has value in a certain culture, etc.), but I honestly think that's a problem caused by capitalism. If you wanted to wear my traditional dress bought from a traditional dressmaker or company, it would easily set you back hundreds of pounds. Get a horrible knock-off made of polyester from China and it's #20.

Ultimately, all of this leads to more division. I have various traditional outfits from countries I have no familial ties to, that were given to me by people I worked with in those countries. I couldn't wear them now here, because I'd get attacked for it by a bunch of 'right-on' friends I have. It's so beyond stupid. We should be happy to share our cultures.
I agree. I was thinking of Victoria’s Secret white models wearing imitation Native American headdresses with lingerie or people dressed as racist stereotypes using traditional garb. As you say it’s usually easy to see when someone comes from a place of appreciation and when it’s taking the piss or when it’s like ‘celebrated on a white person but banned from schools’ cornrows.

Reactions: 9
That Freddy McConnell has pissed me off so much. I really don't understand how you can give birth and then be triggered by the word mother.
Not once but twice. Bearing in mind these pregnancies aren’t accidental! Stopping testosterone, getting sperm from somewhere… has Freddie used sperm donors or a willing male friend? I can’t remember.

Reactions: 2
Just saw this. She said there’s no such thing as a non binary sex. Apart from the fact the whole thing is ridiculous, I like the way the article says “…the two non- binary dancers, one man and one woman…” 🤣
AE3D209B-D4F7-4A7E-91C2-57006AADCB08.jpeg

• Angry
  • Haha
Just saw this. She said there’s no such thing as a non binary sex. Apart from the fact the whole thing is ridiculous, I like the way the article says “…the two non- binary dancers, one man and one woman…” 🤣
View attachment 914615
For duck's sake. I feel like I'm living in a bad trip. How are we at the point where reality is being cast aside in favour of the self-indulgent fantasies of a minority of navel-gazing narcissists.

I'm as liberal as they come and I couldn't give less of a tit how someone presents themselves or feels about themselves in their own head but it doesn't alter observable, demonstrable reality. It would be laughable if women weren't losing their jobs over it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.