Gender Discussion #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I belong to a community group for women of my ethnic background and they have been circulating an invitation to a party for "queer" people from our culture. (Note: we're not hosting the party, the invitation came from someone else.) The flyer contained a list of rules which included "don't assume pronouns: if someone doesn't volunteer their pronouns, just use their name." It's supposed to be a party. You are there to have fun not worry about being penalised over someone's pronouns.

There were also rules about what you could and could not do if you are "white-adjacent" i.e. mixed white or deemed to look too white. That would include me as I am half-white, so basically I wouldn't be allowed to wear things from my own culture that I was born into and raised in. But yeah, it doesn't sound like much of a party. I don't think I'll be going ...

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
That’s really cruel of them and I’m sorry you have to go through this.
I understand people not wanting their culture to be worn as an accessory by outsiders but yeah, this supposedly applies to anyone that is mixed white or they think looks "too white." Presuming anyone wants to go to this party at all, as you risk getting kicked out by the pronoun police!

Reactions: 14
That sounds absolutely awful @witchofwestbyfleet what a joy-sucker, I don't blame you for giving it a pass. I can imagine just a small handful turning up and having to make polite small talk with the occasional apology for misuse of pronouns.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I expect Freddy wants to be recognised as “father” instead of “mother” or something equally self obsessed. After all, the whole trans ideology centres round “Validate me validate me validate meeeeeee”.
Sounds about right for Freddy. It's nothing to do with the child, it's about him and what makes him feel validated.

The thing is, it's the child's birth certificate. Not Freddy's. He might not like the fact that he's considered the mother, but erm, he also chose to get pregnant and give birth. Women give birth. So I don't know what he expected.

Reactions: 25
Sounds about right for Freddy. It's nothing to do with the child, it's about him and what makes him feel validated.

The thing is, it's the child's birth certificate. Not Freddy's. He might not like the fact that he's considered the mother, but erm, he also chose to get pregnant and give birth. Women give birth. So I don't know what he expected.
Exactly. She’s so triggered by being referred to using correct pronouns and can’t possibly cope with being called a mother… yet getting pregnant and carrying a baby - THE most female thing you can do - was ok. She coped with that 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I expect Freddy wants to be recognised as “father” instead of “mother” or something equally self obsessed. After all, the whole trans ideology centres round “Validate me validate me validate meeeeeee”.
We already had that nonsense with the Guardian writer who started transitioning, got pregnant, gave birth but then wanted to be put down as father on the birth certificate. Went to the high court and lost.

Reactions: 12
I belong to a community group for women of my ethnic background and they have been circulating an invitation to a party for "queer" people from our culture. (Note: we're not hosting the party, the invitation came from someone else.) The flyer contained a list of rules which included "don't assume pronouns: if someone doesn't volunteer their pronouns, just use their name." It's supposed to be a party. You are there to have fun not worry about being penalised over someone's pronouns.

There were also rules about what you could and could not do if you are "white-adjacent" i.e. mixed white or deemed to look too white. That would include me as I am half-white, so basically I wouldn't be allowed to wear things from my own culture that I was born into and raised in. But yeah, it doesn't sound like much of a party. I don't think I'll be going ...
That is really selfish of you wanting to go to a party to chill and hang out with some old friends.

Instead you could be tasting some home made humous, discussing the latest techniques in distilling lentils whilst organising a protest the local library to support Sophia a 6ft "woman" who is suffering from PTSD as she found a book in the woman's health section which showed a picture of reproductive organs which only had a vagina. She wants the library to destroy all those books and only have ones which show woman's reproductive can either have a vagina or a penis.

• Haha

Doesn’t sound like fun. And while cultural appropriation is a big issue, mixed people should be able to celebrate all their cultures, not be left out for being white-adjacent. That seems a lot of rules for a party… we should know not to wear ‘costumes’ that are from other cultures for parties now.

Doesn’t sound like fun. And while cultural appropriation is a big issue, mixed people should be able to celebrate all their cultures, not be left out for being white-adjacent. That seems a lot of rules for a party… we should know not to wear ‘costumes’ that are from other cultures for parties now.
It’s just bizarre telling people what to wear and what to say. What ever happened to just minding your own business and having a bit of fun? Instead of trying to control everyone around you. That’s not real life.

Oh and cultural appropriation. Try being Scottish which it feels like is the last culture it’s openly ok to appropriate and mock. Our accents, national dress, the food we eat (or the food people think we eat), hair colour, government, everything about Scotland is up for ridicule and no one cares. But god forbid my 3 year old niece wants to wear a Moana costume 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 14
or just a new non sensical word which means neither father or mother yet somehow at the same time both :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2
It’s just bizarre telling people what to wear and what to say. What ever happened to just minding your own business and having a bit of fun? Instead of trying to control everyone around you. That’s not real life.

Oh and cultural appropriation. Try being Scottish which it feels like is the last culture it’s openly ok to appropriate and mock. Our accents, national dress, the food we eat (or the food people think we eat), hair colour, government, everything about Scotland is up for ridicule and no one cares. But god forbid my 3 year old niece wants to wear a Moana costume 🙄🙄🙄
Didn’t the Simpson get rid of Apu but keep Willie?

Reactions: 8
There's a young Black American dancer who was taking up Irish dancing and is absolutely brilliant at it. Do I see this as 'cultural appropriation' and an outrage and an affront? No I think it's absolutely brilliant and is appreciation more than anything. Cultural appropriation seems like another way of keeping people divided and telling them they can't do this or that

Cultures evolve and grow. I can understand some cases where cultural appropriation might apply but in a lot of cases it's an overused term

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I love the sketch 'woke support group' on Tracey Ullman's Tracey Breaks the News. I can't post a clip but it's in the BBC Comedy FB page.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
“Government sponsored sterilisation” this isn’t even sensationalist this is propaganda?!!

how can you equate BIRTH certificates to sterilisation?!!
Can someone please send them a dictionary?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
“Government sponsored sterilisation” this isn’t even sensationalist this is propaganda?!!

False equivalence really is such a marker of stupidity.

My father isn't on my birth certificate but pretty sure he hasn't been sterilised.

Reactions: 11

Government sponsored sterilisation is practiced by the Tavistock

that is what we should be cross about

(I know we are but the whole country we)

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.