Gary Lineker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I assume the same people annoyed with Gary were also calling for Alan Sugar's sacking from the BBC when he was slagging off Mick Lynch and Jeremy Corbyn? If we have free speech then it should be on both sides.

Gary isn't a journalist or news presenter and has no editorial policy influence at the BBC. He was tweeting from his personal account. We're not living in Russia with state and govt. controlled media.
Off topic, Alan Sugar was a life long labour supporter until 7/8 years ago and was angry about Corbyns stance on anti semitism.

Aside from this situation Gary Lineker isn’t a nice guy. Heard so many stories about him using super injunctions continuously cheating on his first wife etc.
---
You personally pay his wages? Wow, you learn something new everyday!
As tax payers, we all do!

Reactions: 13
Lineker's employment is very different to Sugar's. Sugar is a businessman who happens to play a role in a BBC reality show. Lineker anchors their flagship football show, he presents Olympic coverage, he is part of the presenting team on Comic Relief and Children in Need. he is very much a BBC presenter and Sugar is not

Reactions: 10
Clearly the BBC isn't holding everyone to the same standard and I think that's quite worrying for a supposedly democratic national broadcaster. Andrew Neil was a news presenter on the BBC while spouting off his own political opinions both in print and online. I didn't see the BBC up in arms about any of that over impartiality. Seems to be fine as long as it suits their agenda.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
duck the Tories. Anyone not on Lineker's side is an absolutely wrong 'un.
Not aimed at you per se, just this attitude that's very prevalent.

I find it so corrosive that everything has to be seen so binary, with no shades of grey.

Gary says populist stuff on twitter where talk is cheap, meanwhile he takes millions in pay from awful despotic regimes, has allegedly used a lot of expensive lawyers to maintain his image over the decades and avoids paying tax.

The BBC has had so many scandals, troubling behaviour and regularly fails in its core values.

I struggle to get behind either party.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
The BBC are terrified that the licence fee will be scraped, which plays a big part in the Lineker crack down. Clarkson left the BBC years ago as did Neil.

Lineker agreed to abide by terms of a contract and then broke them. That's the bottom line.

Reactions: 17
The BBC are terrified that the licence fee will be scraped, which plays a big part in the Lineker crack down. Clarkson left the BBC years ago as did Neil.

Lineker agreed to abide by terms of a contract and then broke them. That's the bottom line.
They've always claimed to be impartial though. Just because Clarkson and Neil left doesn't negate the BBC's hypocrisy.

Reactions: 5
They've always claimed to be impartial though. Just because Clarkson and Neil left doesn't negate the BBC's hypocrisy.
I get that. But their existence wasn't threatened then. I'd have more sympathy for Lineker if his social justice crusade hadn't deserted him so spectacularly during the World Cup

Reactions: 10
And another one.

I appreciate that thought but the world was very different in 2011 than it is now. For better or worse.

I'm fully on Lineker's side and utterly shocked over the BBC's behavior. I dont understand why a football presenter has to present a neutral opinion about politics on his SM platform, especially when the core opinion isnt outrageous. But just want to point out that the comparisons like the above are not helpful. I think the fact that the BBC was fine with him voicing his political opinion on a range of other topics, including on their own broadcast (Qatar, perhaps a better comparison) but not on this is the worrying part. It has nothing to do with protecting the BBC being impartial but it's taking a dangerous direction into state-supported propaganda and censorship.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
"Saturday's Match of the Day will now "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", a BBC spokesperson says".

I think Lineker and his yes-men may have shot themselves in the foot here. I can't be the only one who wants to see more match action and less waffle from washed up ex-pros on MOTD or indeed any football highlights programme. If there's a couple of cracking games tomorrow people might start to ask why we need presenters and pundits at all?

Reactions: 15
"Saturday's Match of the Day will now "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", a BBC spokesperson says".

I think Lineker and his yes-men may have shot themselves in the foot here. I can't be the only one who wants to see more match action and less waffle from washed up ex-pros on MOTD or indeed any football highlights programme. If there's a couple of cracking games tomorrow people might start to ask why we need presenters and pundits at all?
Think the Mail will be saying this no matter what happens.

Sky's Youtube already show the goals before MOTD so if that's all they want then they could just skip MOTD and watch that instead.

Reactions: 4
The BBC really screwed up here 😆

The presenters, pundits, commentators and players all reported to be boycotting them and MOTD tomorrow.

Reactions: 7