Gary Lineker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He can say what he likes on Twitter. I don't follow him, so can't/ wouldn't be offended by anything he says on there. Other than inciting people into violence or things of that nature, have at it Gary as far as I'm concerned.
And I do think the government abhorrent decisions need calling out.
If the BBC wanted to take any action over impartiality, it should have been when he ranted about Qatar on the World Cup coverage. Because that was not impartial or at the proper time and place.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Nothing anyone says will change my views of him. He’s supposed to be impartial, or at least keep his opinions to himself as a BBC employee. I used to like him many years ago when he was a footballer. He’s got very bitter in recent years. He says we are taking less migrants than other countries - I say look at the size and population of the UK compared to France, as an example. The infrastructure cannot cope, it’s as simple as that. What is the solution? I don’t know. You cannot blame these people for trying their luck at a better life, but unfortunate we have to leave it to the politicians (it’s their job), much as Gary thinks he knows best.
He needs to pay his tax for a start. Rather than funnel his income through numerous companies to avoid and reduce his tax bill.

Another one who likes to preach to the world whilst not paying the rightful tax he owes.

For some tax avoidance is seemingly acceptable if you are left wing and say things that are agreed with. If right wing, tax avoiding and say things that aren't liked, then those individuals are hounded to oblivion.

Tax evasion is wrong by whoever. That includes Gary.

Reactions: 21
If you're not allowed political opinions unless you pay "all of you tax" then there are endless about of people who shouldn't be saying anything. Including some government ministers...

Reactions: 17
Anyone sick of hearing about him? Never liked him anyway, he's always carried a certain smugness about him.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
This is very good at explaining why it's inappropriate, insensitive (and hurtful) to make any reference to Nazi Germany.

Reactions: 10
Why is football and especially Lineker, put on such a pedestal in this country. The media making this out to be far bigger than it should be too. He's a football presenter. I don't think he ever spoke about political issues on social media until Gary Neville went all political, now you can't shut him up.

I think the mentioning of nazi Germany is the reason why BBC have been more adamant he apologises. The fact he's doubling down on what he said and refuses to apologise has made this a bigger issue. He's probably loving the attention. Must run in the family as his brother is a bit of attention seeker.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The poster wasn’t saying that the asylum seekers put up in hotels don’t get treatment etc while they are waiting for theirs claim to be assessed. They simply (and correctly) stated that they’re not illegal. Actual illegal immigrants can’t receive any benefits as they’re not officially here and in the system hence their comment about being under the radar. It is not illegal to come here and seek asylum regardless of what so many people say.
And as my post stated I was talking about the NHS treatment which the original poster said they didn't receive. I said they do receive NHS treatment and many other things. I never mentioned their illegal status

Reactions: 5
Yes, it's the comparison of the government to the Nazi party that is the issue not his general political views.
You can be appalled by this government's treatment of migrants and refugees but also appalled by his comment. German jews weren't put up in four star hotels.

It's also true that asylum seekers do not have to claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. However if they do cross safe countries to reach the one of their choice then that country is likely to have its own domestic laws in place to prevent that.

Reactions: 8
This is very good at explaining why it's inappropriate, insensitive (and hurtful) to make any reference to Nazi Germany.

On the other hand:

On the other hand:

There are going to be different views of course, but most Jews would disagree. They seem to be a small, start up jumping at the chance to get more engagement. And their tweets are inaccurate, the language today used is not reminiscent of Nazi Germany

Reactions: 2
The asylum seekers staying in my town are housed in an absolute shithole of a hotel - far from 4 star.

Reactions: 8
There are going to be different views of course, but most Jews would disagree. They seem to be a small, start up jumping at the chance to get more engagement. And their tweets are inaccurate, the language today used is not reminiscent of Nazi Germany
Unless any of us have spoken to most Jews then I don’t think any of us can make that bold statement. The ones I know didn’t find it offensive but I’m obviously aware this is a small sample. It doesn’t help that he’s been misquoted so much and is being judged on something much more decisive.

Reactions: 3
Unless any of us have spoken to most Jews then I don’t think any of us can make that bold statement. The ones I know didn’t find it offensive but I’m obviously aware this is a small sample. It doesn’t help that he’s been misquoted so much and is being judged on something much more decisive.
Well no, you can't poll every Jew in the world but it is widely accepted that comparisons to the the holocaust are generally a bad idea.

Reactions: 2
Well no, you can't poll every Jew in the world but it is widely accepted that comparisons to the the holocaust are generally a bad idea.
He didn't compare it *to the holocaust* though. He compared it to the language used in the 1930s by Germany, which is not the same thing at all.

Reactions: 16
He didn't compare it *to the holocaust* though. He compared it to the language used in the 1930s by Germany, which is not the same thing at all.
That's just semantics though. He's clearly referring to Nazi Germany's treatment of jews

Reactions: 7
That’s exactly what I mean about him being misquoted. He didn’t compare with the holocaust, he compared the tone of language at that time which is unfortunately very true even though the resulting actions aren’t. These things do need calling out. If he’d actually compared with the holocaust (in the way people did about lockdowns) then it would be very different.
---
That's just semantics though. He's clearly referring to Nazi Germany's treatment of jews
No he wasn’t

Reactions: 9
That’s exactly what I mean about him being misquoted. He didn’t compare with the holocaust, he compared the tone of language at that time which is unfortunately very true even though the resulting actions aren’t. These things do need calling out. If he’d actually compared with the holocaust (in the way people did about lockdowns) then it would be very different.
---

No he wasn’t
Oh well, going to have to disagree. I think his references were clear. And I think the way people seem to want to jump to defend him very much taps into the whole 'jews don't count' way of thinking.

Reactions: 4
When the heard moves .......

They really are a bunch of lemmings, not wanting to put a foot wrong. All tweeting that they won't be performing at their jobs today.

Am not for or against Lineker but the lemmings all having their say is a bit of a giggle. One man, the highest paid presenter and they all fall in line beind him in so called 'solidarity'.

Be lovely to have a day with no football. 😁 It is a 'crisis' by the way. Really? There is more to life than football.

Reactions: 6
If Lineker leaves MOTD permanently and his job becomes available I think his comrades might quickly forget their solidarity.

• Heart
Reactions: 15