Gary Lineker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Shame none of them boycotted the bbc when the weans were getting abused off their top men though, how long has Lineker been employed with the BBC? He kept his mouth shut, case off 'uck they were only white British weans, who cares if they were getting tampered with by Saville and Co who were employed by the BBC.
When thousands of young men are entering your country illegally that's no asylum seeking its a slow army.
Because pretty sure most of europe is safe. Wisen up

• Wow
Reactions: 8
so we have pundits, many players and now even the commentators boycotting

Much as I support Lineker on this it's amusing that it took this to spark a pretty united anti cancel culture/pro free speech movement.

It's one of those cases where you (read: the BBC) letting the matter die down was the correct choice.

Reactions: 3
I have just googled a bit about football and stuff..so BBC I am available to do motd if you want!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
If Gary should only talk about football on his socials, then wherever jobs we do should he the only thing we talk about on ours.

I doubt they’re true for anyone here.

I think it is a PR stunt for Gary. Increasing his stock value to get himself his own show on Amazon and make big bucks

Reactions: 7
Find it funny that Shearer and Wright are boycotting, I stopped watching MOTD because of the stale line-up.

Reactions: 12
Gary Lineker knew full well what he was doing, the 1930s Germany bit was added for extra spice knowing the furore it would cause.

Pay or be prepared to pay your proper taxes Gary then you can lecture the rest of us on morality.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Shame none of them boycotted the bbc when the weans were getting abused off their top men though, how long has Lineker been employed with the BBC? He kept his mouth shut, case off 'uck they were only white British weans, who cares if they were getting tampered with by Saville and Co who were employed by the BBC.
When thousands of young men are entering your country illegally that's no asylum seeking its a slow army.
Because pretty sure most of europe is safe. Wisen up
They've been turning a blind eye to stuff like the pweirdos for years, I understand Gary wanted to speak out about the migrant boats, but excuse me for thinking he's trying to virtue signal/win acclaim about migrants when he should be paying taxes back into our infrastructure that funds the help asylum seekers get. If he's so bothered about that support, then he should be paying what he owes! Also he is often dismissive of women's safety etc on certain current debates so he gets the side eye from me. He is not an earnest person speaking up, he is a hypocrite. And if you sign a contract about impartiality then that's an agreement you make.
---

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Gary has admitted he went too far, but his ego doesn't let him say sorry. His choice really to get suspended.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Find it funny that Shearer and Wright are boycotting, I stopped watching MOTD because of the stale line-up.
MotD could be a lot better without the presenters etc. More actual football highlights and less waffle from arrogant ex pros.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Motd became very much a boys club Gary & his buddies having a lovely chat ( a kin to many people on a Saturday afternoon in tbe pub) I haven't watched it for years! But Gary knew exactly what he was doing, you just don't flippantly evoke Nazi Germany! If I'm honest our little Island can't sustain many more people & there are 'safe' countries asylum seekers can stop in before embarking on these perilous boat trips who they only people who benefit are the rats charging people money to be put in danger.
I'll get off my soap box now!

At least he's taken some of these people into his home.
He took one maybe two who would have been heavily vetted before they handed him them, the ones arriving and being housed in local hotels aren't, believe me my son works amongst these arrivals.
All these saying keep politics out of football would have no issue if he repeated the right wing rhetoric.
At least he put his money where his mouth is and welcomed a refugee into his home.
---

Asylum seekers aren't illegal. Illegal immigrants are smuggled in or outstay visas. They can't claim benefits or receive NHS treatment because they live under the radar.
Not true my son works with them they do receive NHS treatment, they all have twice a week GP clinics at the hotels, dentist appointments within 24hrs if they ask to see one. Alot work cash in hand, although it's against the rules but they can't be challenged about it, they also get £40 a week spending money which goes up the longer they are at the hotels. Free phone on arrival . And a lot more that isn't being reported on.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Some facts for you mcomics,

This country takes far fewer asylum seekers. It is the slowest and least efficient country in Europe at assessing claims!

Most asylum seekers have their claims upheld!

Most criminal gangs live on the uk, not abroad,
and the authorities know this, but have never tried to prosecute them.
This country would be completely fucked if it wasn’t for immigrants!

I’m not a football fan, but Gary linneker is spot on about this nasty government and it’s use of language.
Actually glad this has happened, as it’s shone a light on the toxic BBC!
---
Oh, and because it seems to be repeated ad nauseum ,- there is absolutely no legal requirement to claim asylum in the first ‘safe’ country that you teach.

You can claim asylum anywhere!
---
Oh, and because it seems to be repeated ad nauseum ,- there is absolutely no legal requirement to claim asylum in the first ‘safe’ country that you teach.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I appreciate that thought but the world was very different in 2011 than it is now. For better or worse.

I'm fully on Lineker's side and utterly shocked over the BBC's behavior. I dont understand why a football presenter has to present a neutral opinion about politics on his SM platform, especially when the core opinion isnt outrageous. But just want to point out that the comparisons like the above are not helpful. I think the fact that the BBC was fine with him voicing his political opinion on a range of other topics, including on their own broadcast (Qatar, perhaps a better comparison) but not on this is the worrying part. It has nothing to do with protecting the BBC being impartial but it's taking a dangerous direction into state-supported propaganda and censorship.
He's allowed to do political commentary as long as it aligns with the Tories. Simple as that.

Not true my son works with them they do receive NHS treatment, they all have twice a week GP clinics at the hotels, dentist appointments within 24hrs if they ask to see one. Alot work cash in hand, although it's against the rules but they can't be challenged about it, they also get £40 a week spending money which goes up the longer they are at the hotels. Free phone on arrival . And a lot more that isn't being reported on.
The poster wasn’t saying that the asylum seekers put up in hotels don’t get treatment etc while they are waiting for theirs claim to be assessed. They simply (and correctly) stated that they’re not illegal. Actual illegal immigrants can’t receive any benefits as they’re not officially here and in the system hence their comment about being under the radar. It is not illegal to come here and seek asylum regardless of what so many people say.

Reactions: 9
Morning all

I’m in two minds about the whole business. It’s certainly opened a can of worms what Gary Lineker said and the ensuing mess.

A couple of thoughts

This isn’t the first time Gary’s said something controversial on his Twitter. Fair that he has a point of view on many issues but I don’t think in this instance he should have said what he did as his main employment is with the BBC, if he wants to go into politics then change job.

I don’t remember as much furore about all the BBC staff who went to Qatar for the World Cup. I know a different matter but did anybody refuse to go there as they didn’t agree with the country’s human rights issue and the fact so many people had died building the stadiums?

Can you pick and choose what to make a stand on?

This morning I saw Ben Brown interview Alistair Campbell. He introduced the piece by stating that Alistair made a podcast which Gary Linekers company owned. This did not go down well in fact Alistair was furious.

I think it was fair what the BBC newsreader disclosed but as Alistair himself said how many more connections to corporations political parties etc do we either not know about or choose not to discuss?

I’m not a fan of Gary Lineker although he’s an excellent broadcaster, I find him a bit smug. He is entitled to his view on sporting matters but not when it comes to political matters in my view.

Hypocrisy is rife in the world and it’s hard to make decisions about what you think is right and wrong when there is so much disinformation out there. I think the whole thing has been handled badly and nobody comes out of well, but please, no more hypocrisy from multi millionaires.

Reactions: 5
Some facts for you mcomics,

This country takes far fewer asylum seekers. It is the slowest and least efficient country in Europe at assessing claims!

Most asylum seekers have their claims upheld!

Most criminal gangs live on the uk, not abroad,
and the authorities know this, but have never tried to prosecute them.
This country would be completely fucked if it wasn’t for immigrants!

I’m not a football fan, but Gary linneker is spot on about this nasty government and it’s use of language.
Actually glad this has happened, as it’s shone a light on the toxic BBC!
---

---

Exactly. Plus Gary (who I personally find annoyingly smug in general) didn’t say that it was like Nazi Germany he said that the language is similar. His comment was valid, he didn’t make it at work and it in no way brings his employer into disrepute. I am pleasantly surprised by the united stand, it’s about time.

• Heart
The BBC’s own guidelines. They make reference to almost this specific case of a sports presenter having political opinions and state it’s not really an issue. 🤔
A64AD156-3AC7-4710-BD34-4835748DEE33.jpeg

Reactions: 2
The BBC’s own guidelines. They make reference to almost this specific case of a sports presenter having political opinions and state it’s not really an issue. 🤔
View attachment 2020078
So why were they OK with Andrew Neill, but not with Lineker? The only answer is because they felt pressured by the government because Lineker disagreed with government policy and Neill didn't.

Reactions: 12