Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

flowertoes_

Gonna unlurk real quick here to give my opinion.

I totally agree that death threats are not okay in any circumstance and I so truly wish there was a way that could prevent them from happening. Unfortunately no matter how popular someone becomes on the internet, there will always be the toxic downright gross people that will take advantage of someone’s kindness and do horrible things such as sending them death threats. With Lando, there has always been more of an emphasis with a younger I guess a bit more social media based, personality that has either been perpetuated by himself, the media, or even his own PR people. This makes him more of an approachable character in Formula 1, and ultimately, leads to him having a younger and more social media based fandom, which in many cases means heightened amounts of death threats, which he still would have unfortunately received even if he was smaller in popularity. Once again I want to preface that death threats are NOT okay, the stuff that he and Luisa (who seems absolutely lovely) have been facing and are being forced to read is downright revolting and I really hope that they are able to somehow block it out and try to move past it.

However, I seem to find an issue with another thing that he mentioned almost immediately after in this interview. Talking publicly about how George has ‘changed’ and ‘since getting to Mercedes is no longe fun’. He’s talking about behaving on social media and being careful of your words and actions and then like two seconds later who starts dragging his literal colleague and supposedly good friend completely unprovoked as if George doesn’t get enough shit for ‘looking and acting like an AI’. I honestly think it is quite hypocritical and I know some here were saying they were confused on why people were focusing on that part of the article when it talked about the death threats he faced, I guess that feeling of hypocrisy might be why. Like honestly, if I were in George’s position, and my good friend publicly went around to the media talking about how I had changed negatively, when I already get a shit ton of hate online because of my personality being ‘odd’ and ‘very PR’, I would be pissed and honestly become more closed off and PR based. I assume Lando didn’t mean anything with ill-intention, but it still leaves a bit of sour taste in my mouth.

TLDR:
Death threats are gross and inexcusable, however almost everyone with some sort of larger social media presence gets them, especially people like lando who’s almost entire persona is kind of social media based. It also makes him look like a bit of hypocrite when right after he criticizes his friend in media completely unprovoked, basically setting him up for extreme scrutiny and death threats himself.

But at the end of the day this is all just my opinion and I do not know them personally so I can’t assume anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

imolathesecond

VIP Member
Esteban's statement is really similar to Charles' - great work by the PR staff 😂 they are good statements, don't get me wrong, but they're not written by either of them themselves

Minttu

VIP Member
By the way, I'm loving all of your outfits for the weekend! And since I've had mine ready since last week, here they are.
Collage 2022-06-21 23_08_08.jpg

Friday, found a backpack I liked, and I need some color. My motto this weekend is still fuck the rain😅
Collage 2022-06-21 22_54_41.jpg

Going for a long dress and reusing my bag from last race again.
Collage 2022-06-21 22_50_26.jpg

Sunday and I'm channeling some kind of Scottish wibes with the dress, based my whole look on the dress and the fact that it was Ralph Lauren. Not going to have a jacket, just because I AM STUBBORN and love the cold.

In other news: I've driven 8 hours more or less straight today, was planning on posting a picture of the tame moose they had at my old campus, but they got sold or died 😅 Came up to where I am supposed to be, and found out I had forgotten my sleeping bag at home, had to drive like hell to get to the store to buy a cheap one. Let's just say, I'm glad my car is high, cause some of these roads are more like gravel traps than asphalt 😂

• Heart

imolathesecond

VIP Member
This can’t be real. I’m disgusted beyond words. Liked by Kelly so she lost out for me just about right now.
Something about how grandma called everyone the n word. It’s about love apparently. And a 'fucking hypocritical world'. Idk someone who speaks Portuguese can translate it better than Instagram for sure.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sick

eeeee1

Chatty Member
The fact that he referred to Lewis as “black guy” or “little black guy” as he says is so wrong in itself. Is he referring to Charles or Seb or Mick as “little white guy”? No. Call him by his name, not his skin colour or even his height.

miss_americana

Chatty Member
Gaining lots of traction in the U.K. now. It’s been mentioned on the news in the radio and is one of
the top items on the BBC home page. Would assume it’s hopefully going to be on the 6pm news front and centre (as it should be).
I feel so sad this Lewis is dealing with this shit in the week of his home race.

• Sad
  • Heart

JustPeachy!

Chatty Member
Esteban's statement is really similar to Charles' - great work by the PR staff 😂 they are good statements, don't get me wrong, but they're not written by either of them themselves
Honestly .. the fact they are using their platform to spread the message is enough for me. It’s those that chose to sit in silence that will see some true colours. Also seb don’t do socials but he’s outspoken on such issues the press will be hounding him for comments

Ultimate Lurkee

VIP Member
I hope they ask every single driver tbh. But it will be like you said, Lewis having to show great strength and everyone going 'aw a shame, anyway'
What answer Max gives will be critical to how it is played in the media, if he just dismisses it as he has done previously when talking about racism then it will be brushed aside. He really needs to take an actual stand against it this time but I fear he won't.

aac_124

VIP Member
Ok on a much lighter note

Friday
I absolutely love this dress casual but still classy
C7467334-040D-44AD-BF3F-DA052AFC6278.jpeg

Saturday
I’m in love with this co ord (I’ve ordered it for myself)
AAA096EE-B8F1-41C9-AEA1-2BFBD74DED7A.jpeg

Sunday
Cute girl vibes
4ADAA27B-F839-453E-8F99-4C7CADD7CCC0.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Sc1909

VIP Member
I mean the comment about George probably isn’t phrased the best but he’s not really wrong is he?

We don’t get to see his personality at all, I’ve learned today that even his fans call him PR63 instead of GR63 because he’s so robotic and PR sound bites. We never talk about him as there is literally nothing to talk about. Appears to me that he was trying to say how much of a great fun guy George is but no one can see it due to the big machine of merc.

as I say Lando hasn’t phrased is the best but he’s not wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

F1Grid

VIP Member
Kelly is terminally stupid. All she had to do is keep her mouth shut and she couldn't.

iona.a.smith

VIP Member
I snapped
A9A9C6F5-3015-412B-B0C8-047A14BA2D88.png

Not showing my best English skills here (I did fail higher English first time round but we don’t talk about that) but I’m so god damn angry about it

• Heart

imolathesecond

VIP Member
Fuck sake I’m so disappointed in Kelly, she had the opportunity to show the world she’s not like her father and she likes that post 🤯 at this point red bull will be doing overtime for PR yes it’s not Maxs fault by any mean let’s get that clear but the fact his girlfriend who is always in their teams company has pretty much agreed…. No going back unless she comes out with a statement saying she don’t agree and has told that to her dad
She fucked up majorly by liking that. Like you said, she had a chance - after talking a big game about bullying after Abu Dhabi. Still hope people leave her child out of it at least. I was rooting for her, very disappointed.

Sc1909

VIP Member
Shocking but not surprising behaviour from piquet.

Not a good response from Kelly. Better to do nothing than liking defending posts.

Until you’ve walked a mile in someone’s shoes as the saying goes most will have no idea the racism and classism Lewis will have endured throughout his life.

I hope more people in f1 stand up and are counted when is comes to such outright racism. This doesn’t even include the much more underhand stuff he’ll have experienced throughout his life.

It’s all just so sad.

• Heart

Ultimate Lurkee

VIP Member
About this and Roe v Wade. At least Seb and Lewis will be asked about it.

*cough* Daniel *cough* I love you man but please don't say you don't watch the news again, come on, I know you know what's happening so please don't fuck up again
I know, I'm prepared to watch men carry on life as normal this weekend with no real consequences and it is just.... exhausting.

After everything Lewis does for the world and the topics he discusses… just for the other 19 to be United with him on this subject would honestly make my weekend. And believe you me, I will be listening in to every drivers voice this weekend. And it will be how I veiw them going forward from how they answer
This, I'll be watching and remembering what's said this weekend. Like it's his fucking home race with part of it named after him and now he's going to have spend time talking about this? I know last year would have been the topic of conversation otherwise but at least thst was about racing

Not going to add screenshots but Kelly’s trending on twitter with people saying she's blocking them for calling her out for liking that post defending her Dad.

Last edited:
  • Heart

valen_

This is what google translate gave me - the nos and neguinhos in the English translating was ni**as but maybe someone can provide a better translation

View attachment 1375909
Nós means "we" so he's saying she called her family that.
And "neguinho" is a hard translation because there isn't a perfect equivalent in english. It's true that it can be used affectionately (many couples call each other meu preto/neguinho as pet names), but that's not the way Piquet used it.
It translates to "little black (person)", and it can be a substitute for "someone" too (talking about an unspecific person - and even this use of it is questionable to me), but when you put the "o" in front of it the meaning becomes about a specific person and you are choosing to refer to them by their skin color (and in the context of the video he is criticizing Lewis, so he is doing it in a negative and racist way. It also matters that when talking about Max and Senna in that video he uses their names, so he's making an active choice to not use Lewis' name but that term instead).

I think in this caption Rodrigo is trying to take advantage of the other meanings the word can have to convince people Piquet didn't mean it maliciously/with racism, but looking at the uproar this has caused in brazilian twitter you can see that's not true. He has now made his account private because of the backlash from this post too.
Noo I think Lewis genuinely loves Brazil and vice versa. He was so happy to be offered citizenship and I can't see him turning it down. And he shouldn't. It would be a win for Nelson and I don't think anyone wants to see that.
Yes, if you look in CNN Brazil's page there are over a thousand comments, all siding with Lewis. Piquet's close relationship with Bolsonaro and the many disgusting things he's said about other drivers really soured his image to many (this was mentioned earlier in the thread, he talked shit about other driver's wives, created rumours about Senna's sexuality. Disgusting man all around 🤮). He has the same amount of championships as Senna, but will never be as loved as him and he knows it. And seeing his country love and support Lewis more than him upsets him the most.

• Heart