Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I came across this article on Twitter yesterday and thought it was good.

I think the silence from Red Bull is very telling, especially since they conveniently had the Vips card to play by releasing the statement that he's no longer their test/reserve driver alongside a bare minimum one line condemning racism. If someone is comfortable enough to use racist slurs in a public interview, then what do you think the dinner table was like last season when Max was fighting Lewis for the title?

Yes, of course it takes balls to stand up an tell family members they are wrong and need to change their attitudes, but if it was easy then we wouldn't still be here in 2022 having these conversations. I also don't really like the 'oh but Max doesn't really like the media stuff and he'd rather just be able to go racing' line either. Sport doesn't exist in a bubble totally cut off from racial discrimination, societal issues, human rights issues etc. And the people who say 'can't we just stick to racing' are invariably those who have privilege enough to never have had to deal with any of the above affecting their life.

I truly hope the crowd at Silverstone this weekend raise the (metaphorical) damn roof for Lewis this weekend. Flares, flags, banging a saucepan...literally everything should be thrown at getting behind him at his home race after all this.
Totally agree. Although Max is in a hard place due to his relationship with Piquet, his silence is deafening now....as is all of the Redbull camp. The fact that Pierre has put a cloaked message on his insta story and Yuki has said nothing, despite I'm sure having experienced prejudice himself, speaks volumes. No doubt Redbull hope this will go away after the Vipps firing.
Let's not forget that Max never once took the knee (not the only one I know) before races, has never condemned the orange army for the racist abuse they directed at Lewis and now this silence. I have no idea what his personal views are but it doesn't look good. And the "he only wants to race" and "he's young " stuff doesn't wash. It takes 2 minutes to say you unreservedly disagree with your father in laws words. If you are old enough to drive in F1, you're old enough to take responsibility for the actions of yourself and the people you associate with.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

90sgirl

VIP Member
Haven’t had a chance to catch up but 👋 Silverstone is great so far and lots of support for Hamilton!
CA4D0260-BED8-4B15-94AC-885E12F4D1BE.jpeg
E420797A-14D6-47E8-B4C0-9D756E77226C.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Blablabla29

VIP Member
I like what Alpine is currently doing on twitter. Calling out people saying that women know nothing about f1 by letting some of their female workers answer them and showing that they probably know a lot more than them 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 28

JustPeachy!

Chatty Member
Fuck sake I’m so disappointed in Kelly, she had the opportunity to show the world she’s not like her father and she likes that post 🤯 at this point red bull will be doing overtime for PR yes it’s not Maxs fault by any mean let’s get that clear but the fact his girlfriend who is always in their teams company has pretty much agreed…. No going back unless she comes out with a statement saying she don’t agree and has told that to her dad

• Wow
Reactions: 25

Sebs Scooter

VIP Member
Just want to say it's been really great to keep coming back to this thread today and see the amazing support and perspectives people have been sharing about this issue. In the few months that I've been part of the group it's never failed to highlight or acknowledge social, gender, racial issues and I'm really thankful for that. There are a lot of cesspools to be found on the internet these days and I'm glad I stumbled into here. And nobody does thirst/ slag appreciation better 😘

Last edited:
  • Heart

iona.a.smith

VIP Member
God I’ve missed 10 pages but think I might just leave that til the morning…
Finally after 2 years of working in a pharmacy and a gym, and being a student I’ve tested positive for COVID. Explains why I have felt like shit the past few days but obviously took a while to show itself as my tests last night and this morning were both negative. But that does mean that for the next couple of days I’m all yours Tattle 😉❤

• Heart

firew0rk

Long time lurker here. Came across this well-written article on social media about the racial abuse Lewis faces, and had to share ~
https://defector.com/f1-races-as-one-except-when-an-old-racist-comes-for-lewis-hamilton/

"If F1 was serious about the commitment to inclusion that it claims to support, it would recognize that the disinterested response speaks volumes to the drivers it wishes to court, those who share more in common with Hamilton than the nearly monochrome roster currently on display. The moment for a real show of support for its most popular figurehead driver has already passed.

It’s hard to take the sport’s commitment to anti-racism seriously when it would rather move on to the next race than call out an aging bigot looking to settle scores for his daughter’s boyfriend."

• Heart
Reactions: 24

itsspa

Also is there a reason why they are unable to directly name Piquet in their statements?
You’ve opened a legal can of worms now and I’m ready to bore you all to tears with the answer hahaha

If any person or team with sufficient influence was to outright name him it would open them up to defamation claims from Nelson.

By definition, defamation is making a statement that has caused or is likely to cause harm to someone’s reputation.

You may be saying ‘well he’s done that himself by making that statement’ and whilst that’s true, the exposure the drivers and the teams have means any statement they could make naming him would increase the number of people who know about the issue and would cause more harm to his reputation than already existed before they posted.

Under UK law Nelson would have to prove four points (1) a defamatory statement was made, (2) the statement was published by the defendant (in this case it could be a team or person) (3) the statement refers to Nelson and (4) the defamatory statement is likely to cause serious harm to his reputation.

There are defences which the defendant would have the burden to prove (truth, honest opinion, privilege, public interest etc.) but these would be hotly contested by both sides and a legal case would drag on for a year at the very least unless they decided to pursue alternative dispute resolution or settle the matter before trial. Any settlement would likely involve compensatory payments and public apologies/retractions.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Knit Happens

VIP Member
Long time lurker here. Came across this well-written article on social media about the racial abuse Lewis faces, and had to share ~
https://defector.com/f1-races-as-one-except-when-an-old-racist-comes-for-lewis-hamilton/

"If F1 was serious about the commitment to inclusion that it claims to support, it would recognize that the disinterested response speaks volumes to the drivers it wishes to court, those who share more in common with Hamilton than the nearly monochrome roster currently on display. The moment for a real show of support for its most popular figurehead driver has already passed.

It’s hard to take the sport’s commitment to anti-racism seriously when it would rather move on to the next race than call out an aging bigot looking to settle scores for his daughter’s boyfriend."

I think the silence from Red Bull is very telling, especially since they conveniently had the Vips card to play by releasing the statement that he's no longer their test/reserve driver alongside a bare minimum one line condemning racism. If someone is comfortable enough to use racist slurs in a public interview, then what do you think the dinner table was like last season when Max was fighting Lewis for the title?

Yes, of course it takes balls to stand up an tell family members they are wrong and need to change their attitudes, but if it was easy then we wouldn't still be here in 2022 having these conversations. I also don't really like the 'oh but Max doesn't really like the media stuff and he'd rather just be able to go racing' line either. Sport doesn't exist in a bubble totally cut off from racial discrimination, societal issues, human rights issues etc. And the people who say 'can't we just stick to racing' are invariably those who have privilege enough to never have had to deal with any of the above affecting their life.

I truly hope the crowd at Silverstone this weekend raise the (metaphorical) damn roof for Lewis this weekend. Flares, flags, banging a saucepan...literally everything should be thrown at getting behind him at his home race after all this.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

imolathesecond

VIP Member

Maybe... the reason he's not standing up to family members publicly is because he's not disagreeing. I don't want to be the one to judge him or call him out and I hope to see something from him, I really do, but if there's one driver that should've said something it's the man whose daughters boyfriend that fucker was trying to big up by using racial slurs towards the sole black man of the sport. And if Max doesn't use the Silverstone weekend as an opportunity to right these things, then maybe... he's just okay with what his girlfriend and her family believe in. I truly hope that's not the case.

kubnikol

VIP Member
, I just want to make one thing clear. I don't want to look like a stupid fan who just post photos of drivers or funny comments here. Just because I don't comment on things doesn't mean I don't care. it just makes me anxious, just read things like that. all those comments and hate for drivers are so scary. People who hate people they don't know. I've been bullied and it's the worst feeling and they get 100+ messages every day 🤦🏻‍♀️ i can't even imagine how they must feel 🙁

• Heart