Formula 1 Wags #104

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
my hormones can't take this šŸ„ŗšŸ„ŗ

he's so hot in this too
oh, cute moment :sneaky:
Christian can tell whatever, but for me it never sounds as scary as he would probably want it to sound, if you know what I mean. It's like I can see what effect he wants to create, but it's never like Toto-in- his- Bond- villain -turtleneck- effect šŸ˜…

Does he think Lewis and George jump up and down in their cars to show more porpoising than there really is? :rolleyes:

Btw I was looking for a gif with Toto (didn't find turtleneck one so far) and I found this one with Mel B and Helmut Marko LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Overplaying them? Absolutely not.
But letting the drivers suffer when the solution to porpoising is common knowledge just to not lose any more performance? Yes.
Maybe even applying some media pressure to get the FIA to have a minimal ride height to gain net performance? Perhaps.

But suggesting theyā€™re overplaying serious pain is disgusting. As disgusting as Merc letting their drivers go through it when the solution is at hand. This is far beyond what a competition and having a performance advantage should look like, this is messing with peoples health. If McLaren or Red Bull were the ones letting their drivers drive like that, the community would be up in arms. Again, I love Merc, but I don't know why we're letting it fly that this team is risking serious injuries on two young men only to gain a competitive advantage, refusing to raise the ride height, and then complaining to the governing body of the sport to get a rule change that would benefit them and no one else. And Horner can kindly shut his mouth after asking the same governing body to raise the minimum weight of the cars only because they were massively overweight with their own car.
I agree that the teams should do something to reduce the porpoising but the drivers can also be really stubborns, this is what Pierre said after last race:

"It's not healthy, that's for sure," Gasly said. "I've had a physio session before and after every session, just because my [spinal] discs are suffering from it. You have literally no suspension. It just hits going through your spine.
The team is asking me, 'OK, we can compromise the setup?' and I'm compromising my health for the performance. And I'll always do it, because I'm a driver and I always go for the fastest car I can. But I don't think FIA should put us in a corner where you got to deal between health and performance."

I think the FIA should do something because both teams and drivers won't do anything to gain some tenths unless something really bad happen. I see some people suggesting that the FIA should set a maximum vertical G forces that the driver could endure or a maximum frequency/height change and i find these ideas interesting because it won't disadvantage the teams that did a good job but will also forced the ones that suffer from it to raise the car ride. I don't know if it is easily feasible but that could be the start of an idea.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
But letting the drivers suffer when the solution to porpoising is common knowledge just to not lose any more performance? Yes.
Maybe even applying some media pressure to get the FIA to have a minimal ride height to gain net performance? Perhaps.

But suggesting theyā€™re overplaying serious pain is disgusting. As disgusting as Merc letting their drivers go through it when the solution is at hand. This is far beyond what a competition and having a performance advantage should look like, this is messing with peoples health. If McLaren or Red Bull were the ones letting their drivers drive like that, the community would be up in arms. Again, I love Merc, but I don't know why we're letting it fly that this team is risking serious injuries on two young men only to gain a competitive advantage, refusing to raise the ride height, and then complaining to the governing body of the sport to get a rule change that would benefit them and no one else. And Horner can kindly shut his mouth after asking the same governing body to raise the minimum weight of the cars only because they were massively overweight with their own car.
I wanted to add to this but it won't let me anymore, the 20 minutes must've passed without me noticing. I was going to say that I've been one day in the Neurology department now and I've already seen 3 athletes coming from different sports with chronic brain injuries from suffering repeated microtrauma to the brain and head, even going as far as dementia at the age of 40, so it's absolutely wrong of Horner to even say anything like that. And while there really needs to be something done about this, it's not the other nine teams fault that Merc messed up and refuses to get rid of the issue by just applying the solution everyone knows. Therefore, like I said yesterday, I feel like the one thing the FIA can do is say 'Sure, if your porpoising is at level x, you have to raise the ride height by x' which Merc won't like that and therefore not agree to it because it's the exact opposite of what they want. It'll hinder them from being faster but it'll save their drivers which is the only thing that matters. And without Merc agreeing I don't think they can implement a new rule like that. Like the water bottle issues, FIA should make that one mandatory as well. This is real safety concerns.

• Sad
Reactions: 10

Do we know where that Horner quote is taken from? TV interview?

Reactions: 2

I agree. What made me a little angry yesterday was that Toto said they have reserve driver if Lewis could not race due to his back pain or something along this lines. Even if that was said in informational context, to assure that both cars will be racing and to underline the seriousness of bouncing, it surprised me and not in a good way. If your 7xWC driver (or any driver, really) could not race because of what your car does to him, it certainly means that you need to do something to your car no matter its performance. Besides, what makes anyone think that a reserve driver (with all due respect) could control the same car better than Lewis and not feel it in their backs.
I just get the feeling that apart from experimental parts of Lewis' car that we hear about constantly, drivers are part of experiment too, let's just see how much they can handle.

Fortunately Lewis posted today that he feels better and he will be racing, but still back pain is no fun especially when it affects the nerves as well
(I rolled out of bed today, because I slept in weird position and really felt my back and I certainly wasn't bouncing driving 300 km/h LOL)

Full quote...

ā€œTell them to witch as much as they could over the radio and make as big an issue out of it as they possibly could,ā€
he said, quoted by The Race, when asked what he would do if the RB18 experienced extreme porpoising.

ā€œItā€™s part of the game.ā€

Asked whether he believed that was what some teams were doing, he replied: ā€œOf course it is.

ā€œLook, it is uncomfortable but there are remedies to that but itā€™s detrimental to car performance.

ā€œWhatā€™s the easiest thing to do? Complain from a safety point of view, but each team has a choice.

ā€œIf it was a genuine safety concern across the whole grid then itā€™s something that should be looked at. But if itā€™s only affecting isolated people or teams, thatā€™s something the team should potentially deal with.ā€

As those suffering with bouncing begin to look to the FIA to implement a solution across the board, such as a minimum ride height, Horner says that would not be fair on teams such as Red Bull who have minimal porpoising, and are winning.

Instead, he said the ā€œeasiest thingā€ for Red Bullā€™s rivals is ā€œto raise a carā€¦so the team has a choice to do that.

ā€œYou have a choice where you run your car, donā€™t you? And you should never run a car thatā€™s unsafe. Butā€¦I think thatā€™s more for the technical guys because thereā€™s certain cars that have issues and some cars that have few issues.

ā€œIt would seem unfair to penalise the ones that have done a decent job versus the ones that have perhaps missed the target slightly.ā€

Reactions: 8
Full quote...

ā€œTell them to witch as much as they could over the radio and make as big an issue out of it as they possibly could,ā€
he said, quoted by The Race, when asked what he would do if the RB18 experienced extreme porpoising.

ā€œItā€™s part of the game.ā€

Asked whether he believed that was what some teams were doing, he replied: ā€œOf course it is.

ā€œLook, it is uncomfortable but there are remedies to that but itā€™s detrimental to car performance.

ā€œWhatā€™s the easiest thing to do? Complain from a safety point of view, but each team has a choice.

ā€œIf it was a genuine safety concern across the whole grid then itā€™s something that should be looked at. But if itā€™s only affecting isolated people or teams, thatā€™s something the team should potentially deal with.ā€

As those suffering with bouncing begin to look to the FIA to implement a solution across the board, such as a minimum ride height, Horner says that would not be fair on teams such as Red Bull who have minimal porpoising, and are winning.

Instead, he said the ā€œeasiest thingā€ for Red Bullā€™s rivals is ā€œto raise a carā€¦so the team has a choice to do that.

ā€œYou have a choice where you run your car, donā€™t you? And you should never run a car thatā€™s unsafe. Butā€¦I think thatā€™s more for the technical guys because thereā€™s certain cars that have issues and some cars that have few issues.

ā€œIt would seem unfair to penalise the ones that have done a decent job versus the ones that have perhaps missed the target slightly.ā€
He does seem to be suggesting this is what Merc is doing, heā€™s not coming out and full on accusing them because he knows how bad of a PR move that would be, but it is a very subtle dig. And thatā€™s just a wrong thing to do in my opinion. Other than that, he makes some valid points, to be fair.

Happy new thread and happy race week!

I am so not down for another 5 days of working the day job. In a bit of a life rut and yeah, just feeling a bit meh. But at least there is another race weekend close by to keep me going.

• Heart
He does seem to be suggesting this is what Merc is doing, heā€™s not coming out and full on accusing them because he knows how bad of a PR move that would be, but this is a very subtle dig. Other than that, he makes some valid points, to be fair.
Lots of extremely click baity 'journalism' about by the looks of it. Yeah, I mean obviously he's saying that's what Merc and possibly others are doing but he's accepting that's part of the F1 pantomime!

Fyi I'm not suggesting Lewis is not in heaps of pain but I think Merc have been gilding the lily slightly as well....

Sophie from McLaren posted that sheā€™s on a 12 hour flight from Baku to Montreal now šŸ„“ so Iā€™m assuming the entire McLaren team is, with Lando yesterday saying heā€™s flying today as well šŸ„ŗ this double header is brutal, the time zone difference is just way too big to make it a double header
Jetlag.šŸ˜¬

Reactions: 4
Lots of extremely click baity 'journalism' about by the looks of it. Yeah, I mean obviously he's saying that's what Merc and possibly others are doing but he's accepting that's part of the F1 pantomime!

Fyi I'm not suggesting Lewis is not in heaps of pain but I think Merc have been gilding the lily slightly as well....
Iā€™d say perhaps not overplaying it, because Lewis looked awful yesterday, but highlighting it an awful lot to get people talking with the goal of getting the FIA to change the rules which is just an unsportsmanlike thing to do when the solution is at hand. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been trying to express but my brain is a bit mush today. šŸ„“

• Heart
There is a lot going on at the moment surrounding research into head injuries and brain disease surrounding footballers and headers and rugby players. Hence why heading is banned at younger levels etc.

The last thing the FIA/F1/teams should open themselves up to is potential longer term litigation if drivers do suffer premature back troubles or proper injuries as a result of porpoising that they could've intervened and stopped.

Reactions: 13
The longer, the better.
*open to interpretation

I'm like 15 minutes in and so far this is all just Dax saying how beautiful Daniel is, I love it here.

The way Daniel is exposing Blake is just šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ peak friendship
I love Blake.
This week Canada and Blake.ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤

Reactions: 2
I wanted to add to this but it won't let me anymore, the 20 minutes must've passed without me noticing. I was going to say that I've been one day in the Neurology department now and I've already seen 3 athletes coming from different sports with chronic brain injuries from suffering repeated microtrauma to the brain and head, even going as far as dementia at the age of 40, so it's absolutely wrong of Horner to even say anything like that. And while there really needs to be something done about this, it's not the other nine teams fault that Merc messed up and refuses to get rid of the issue by just applying the solution everyone knows. Therefore, like I said yesterday, I feel like the one thing the FIA can do is say 'Sure, if your porpoising is at level x, you have to raise the ride height by x' which Merc won't like that and therefore not agree to it because it's the exact opposite of what they want. It'll hinder them from being faster but it'll save their drivers which is the only thing that matters. And without Merc agreeing I don't think they can implement a new rule like that. Like the water bottle issues, FIA should make that one mandatory as well. This is real safety concerns.
Itā€™s not just merc who are having issues though. Ferrariā€™s proposing is also very extreme- and we probably arenā€™t seeing the full affect on their drivers because the cars arenā€™t finishing races.
In the past other teams have screwed up and merc have had to make changes in order to make the grid fairer and arguably these new regs were created to try to stop merc dominance. Toto has said even if they raise ride height there will still be porpoising. Itā€™s not as cut and dry as merc are being awful and they just need to raise the ride height.

Reactions: 7
Itā€™s not just merc who are having issues though. Ferrariā€™s proposing is also very extreme- and we probably arenā€™t seeing the full affect on their drivers because the cars arenā€™t finishing races.
In the past other teams have screwed up and merc have had to make changes in order to make the grid fairer and arguably these new regs were created to try to stop merc dominance. Toto has said even if they raise ride height there will still be porpoising. Itā€™s not as cut and dry as merc are being awful and they just need to raise the ride height.
The same applies to Ferrari of course, though after this weekend I feel like they have other concerns šŸ˜‚ I gave Merc as an example because theyā€™re the talk right now and seem to be having the most issues. Toto saying that is another way of getting the FIA to change rules all across the grid. Porpoising is not a new issue with ground effect cars. Solutions to it are known, therefore Merc or other teams not applying these solutions are ā€˜at faultā€™ and teams who got it right shouldnā€™t be punished for it.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.