Formula 1 #10

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was late november last time. I remember them being shattered after Saudi in 2021 too which was maybe a week after? But don't recall any heat issues for Qatar that year.
And it's gonna be December next year they race there.

Reactions: 1
Weak view according to Martin Brundle, just because previous drivers have been through certain experiences doesn’t mean it is ok
That’s why safety has vastly improved over the years because people weren’t prepared to settle for the risks being part of the job
IMG_4843.jpeg

Reactions: 2
Weak view according to Martin Brundle, just because previous drivers have been through certain experiences doesn’t mean it is ok
That’s why safety has vastly improved over the years because people weren’t prepared to settle for the risks being part of the job
View attachment 2500729
'Look at Lauda' The same Lauda who after his horrific accident famously got out of his car in Japan 1976 due to feeling conditions were too unsafe and said "My life is worth more than a title"? That Lauda?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
View attachment 2500729
All it takes is one crash, one injury for anyone with this view to have to start eating their words. Safety first. Otherwise what's the point of things like the halo, barriers, safety cell etc. This was said in the halo debate, just because drivers used to driver with unprotected cockpits doesn't mean they should nkwnn

• Heart
Reactions: 7
All it takes is one crash, one injury for anyone with this view to have to start eating their words. Safety first. Otherwise what's the point of things like the halo, barriers, safety cell etc. This was said in the halo debate, just because drivers used to driver with unprotected cockpits doesn't mean they should nkwnn
Absolutely the Halo was hated to start with. Yeah it looked bizarre but it's served its job description.
I get drivers have to drive in all weather's but when drivers are passing out feeling faint and being physically sick where do you draw the line? I hope it does get looked into seriously and actions taken.

Reactions: 6
Absolutely the Halo was hated to start with. Yeah it looked bizarre but it's served its job description.
I get drivers have to drive in all weather's but when drivers are passing out feeling faint and being physically sick where do you draw the line? I hope it does get looked into seriously and actions taken.
I’ve just got back from Dubai and it was hard enough to just be outside at night never mind any sort of physical exertion!
78% humidity and nearly 40° at night still, it was like being in the steam room at a spa, that feeling where you can’t catch your breath is horrible.

View attachment 2500729
a terrible take.

would he be saying “impressive to watch them cope” if (as an example) alex had crashed and just been completely unable to get himself out of the car. he couldn’t get out without help at the end, he would never have been able to escape a bad crash situation. likewise lance and even oscar, who couldn’t really stay on his feet at the end.

none of them would have passed the jump test to get out of the car in however many seconds it is (10 maybe?). even watching charles’ onboard from the start of the race to the end you could see how sluggish head movements became.

but, sure: impressive.

would he be saying “impressive to watch them cope” if (as an example) alex had crashed and just been completely unable to get himself out of the car. he couldn’t get out without help at the end, he would never have been able to escape a bad crash situation. likewise lance and even oscar, who couldn’t really stay on his feet at the end.

none of them would have passed the jump test to get out of the car in however many seconds it is (10 maybe?). even watching charles’ onboard from the start of the race to the end you could see how sluggish head movements became.

but, sure: impressive.
Lance was also actively racing Pierre and Checo. Imagine if he'd hit either of them, because he 'soldiered on' and put them at risk along with himself! The three of them were three wide into a corner at one point, with Lance in the middle, all three of them have to trust that they're aware and Lance has now admitted he wasn't.

Reactions: 4
Lance was also actively racing Pierre and Checo. Imagine if he'd hit either of them, because he 'soldiered on' and put them at risk along with himself! The three of them were three wide into a corner at one point, with Lance in the middle, all three of them have to trust that they're aware and Lance has now admitted he wasn't.
exactly!!! lance said he was “passing out” in the car in the last few laps. like you say, what if he’d taken out checo and pierre and then been completely unable to free himself from the car (pierre also looked absolutely battered at the end so also may have struggled).

i truly don’t get how someone with martin b’s level of knowledge and experience could come out with a take like this. it isn’t impressive, it’s actively dangerous.

Reactions: 4
exactly!!! lance said he was “passing out” in the car in the last few laps. like you say, what if he’d taken out checo and pierre and then been completely unable to free himself from the car (pierre also looked absolutely battered at the end so also may have struggled).

i truly don’t get how someone with martin b’s level of knowledge and experience could come out with a take like this. it isn’t impressive, it’s actively dangerous.
Pierre says he was OK and it's not his worst. But Pierre's worst is screaming in pain and having to be lifted out of his car and being taken to the medical centre straight away in Saudi last year, so that's probably why.

1696932885981.png

Martin's son Alex who races WEC has said that other disciplines are happy F1 have had the issue because it's such an issue in their own, and hopefully this makes the FIA look at it.

I do find Lewis' comments a little concerning. I get the sport is extreme and they are top athletes but with a few of them and maybe more we don't know about, being ill after the race, maybe these comments are helpful. I though more along the lines of moving the time of the race not shortening it was being spoken about? He keep talking about how it "was back in the day" but F1 has progressed.

Attachments

• Wow
Great so someone else who didn’t race in the conditions says people who did were basically being wimps
I think we should listen to the drivers in the cars who experienced it first hand

Reactions: 8
Yet if he did race he would be crying over the conditions.

I do like LH but I like him even more when he shuts his mouth

I think Lewis should really have kept his mouth shut on this one, especially since he didn’t even finish one lap. Fernando also did Malaysia and said yes, Malaysia was worse, but this one wasn’t good either. Just because there’s been a worse one in the past, doesn’t mean we let it continue.

Reactions: 8
All it takes is one driver to faint at the wheel and it could cause a crash with multiple injuries or worse

All it takes is one driver to faint at the wheel and it could cause a crash with multiple injuries or worse
exactly. or for a driver to get into a bad crash and then just be completely unable to get themselves out of the drivers seat through sheer exhaustion. i think i said it last race, but there was no way alex/lance/even oscar (to name a few) looked like they could have quickly removed themselves from the car in an emergency.

it’s easy to comment when you crashed out on the first lap i guess?!

I think the track temperature in Hungary 2018 from memory was pushing 60degrees ie a lot hotter than Qatar. But ultimately driver safety is of the upmost importance.

He did start by saying he didn’t finish the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I think the track temperature in Hungary 2018 from memory was pushing 60degrees ie a lot hotter than Qatar. But ultimately driver safety is of the upmost importance.

He did start by saying he didn’t finish the race.
It’s the humidity, the wet bulb temp was above 32C. That means the drivers can no longer cool down by sweating at all because the sweat won’t evaporate. You can’t out train physics. The really fit ones like Alonso, Sainz, Gasly, Leclerc still complained despite them being some of the most athletic of the drivers IMO.

Wet bulb temperature is used at venues with high heat and humidity for this purpose, F1 needs to consider it as they expand the calendar. In Europe wet bulb is generally not an issue since our humid areas are cold and or hot areas aren’t humid.

Reactions: 6
It’s the humidity, the wet bulb temp was above 32C. That means the drivers can no longer cool down by sweating at all because the sweat won’t evaporate. You can’t out train physics. The really fit ones like Alonso, Sainz, Gasly, Leclerc still complained despite them being some of the most athletic of the drivers IMO.

Wet bulb temperature is used at venues with high heat and humidity for this purpose, F1 needs to consider it as they expand the calendar. In Europe wet bulb is generally not an issue since our humid areas are cold and or hot areas aren’t humid.
We in the UK today certainly ain't complaining about humidity. Sodding 🌧🌧
But agree as F1 agree to have another new race added to calendar and yeah they are starting to "organise" the calendar eg less flying here and there. But they have to listen to drivers and I hope George says something when F1 does meet with the drivers stewards.

Reactions: 3