Food & Drink

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone here ferment anything? My shopping is due today and in it are the ingredients for a new batch of Kimchi ☺
Will post photos of the making later if anyone's interested x
I am very very very very very interested. Please and thank you. This is on my list to try.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Does anyone here ferment anything? My shopping is due today and in it are the ingredients for a new batch of Kimchi ☺
Will post photos of the making later if anyone's interested x
I'd love to have a go at making my own, so yes please!

It's $8.50 for a smallish tub here, although saying that, sometimes the cabbage you need costs that much too 😯 I did see a pre made sauce you just add to the salted veg, in my local oriental supermarket (which is huge and awesome, and I usually spend too much money in 😂) which sounded interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
If anyone wants a good laugh today, go take a look at the 'What is the weirdest pregnancy craving you've had' thread in off-topic - I'm on a conf call and had to mute myself as I keep laughing out loud. Someone ate their midwife notes! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I am very very very very very interested. Please and thank you. This is on my list to try.
I buy this kimchi. It is sold at a local Saturday market along with his other products- sauerkraut, dill pickles and onions. It’s available from Waitrose now. All highly recommended.
F6272828-5EB5-48F6-A809-80353D161540.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Omg @Toffee finger I hope you enjoy the pork, it's great and so easy - it's become my non-cooking boyfriend's signature dish.

So excited for babyheretoreaditall @heretoreaditall2019 - she's going to be fearsomely smart like her mum and look as good in a ski suit as our Ed.

I went to my friend's house tonight and she made mussels with soffritto and a white wine sauce - they were bangin and it was so nice to just show up with a bottle and be looked after.
Omg you’re so cute haha, just catching up on this thread this was a lovely message to read 🥰 I’m absolutely shattered I don’t know how women in the Jack thread carried round 10lb babies, their poor backs!

Ed is shooketh at the whole ordeal the midwives had to get him a seat by the window the other day and put his head between his legs during the birth plan because he had a funny turn hearing about the placenta. This morning he was horrified to learn me and baby share blood, and he thought collestrum harvesting involved him injecting my nipple with a needle to withdraw it like an oil mine so god help me.

Had some crunchy nut for breakfast but now want some orange juice and crunchy ice 🤤

I bought two sweet potatoes yesterday - I was just gonna make fries with them is there anything fancy you ladies would rather do?

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Omg you’re so cute haha, just catching up on this thread this was a lovely message to read 🥰 I’m absolutely shattered I don’t know how women in the Jack thread carried round 10lb babies, their poor backs!

Ed is shooketh at the whole ordeal the midwives had to get him a seat by the window the other day and put his head between his legs during the birth plan because he had a funny turn hearing about the placenta. This morning he was horrified to learn me and baby share blood, and he thought collestrum harvesting involved him injecting my nipple with a needle to withdraw it like an oil mine so god help me.

Had some crunchy nut for breakfast but now want some orange juice and crunchy ice 🤤

I bought two sweet potatoes yesterday - I was just gonna make fries with them is there anything fancy you ladies would rather do?
Aw bless Ed. Possibly best not to show him the placenta then. But reassure him you and baby don't share blood, you have completely separate blood systems. Ouch at the colostrum harvesting Ed style though 😬😬

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Ha ha I’m screaming with laughter!! My first was 8lb 6 with a big head and my second 9lb 3, the first was more difficult due to being back to back and a big head. So sometimes size may not make a difference 🤣 Men (and I say this fondly) sometimes are clueless. Mr Badass is particularly squeamish and had to stay up top, his face when the midwife asked if he wanted to see the baby’s head was a picture. Aww it’s making me feel nostalgic, giving birth is so magical you feel like you could do anything after that ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Eek @heretoreaditall2019 i felt a bit faint reading your last bit 😂

spoiler as I don’t want to risk putting people off lol
yeah nobody ever thinks of the head size- mine were 6lb odd and 9lb odd but both of them had heads up near the 100th centile line

• Heart
Reactions: 7

There’s a good Leon recipe where you roast them whole then mash together with chickpeas and cumin and make into a veggie burger, it’s really good!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

This recipe by That Man is a wicked veggie burger, it uses squash but we've also made them with sweet potato and a mix of sweet potato and carrot. We make a batch and freeze the extra as they're so yummy, and we're all meat eaters in our house.

Other than that my favourite way to have sweet potato is simply baked, topped with sour cream/crème fraiche and sprinkled with chilli flakes 😋

• Heart
There’s a good Leon recipe where you roast them whole then mash together with chickpeas and cumin and make into a veggie burger, it’s really good!
I thought you were talking about placentas there for a second 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 19
This is my favourite way to have sweet potatoes:

But I freely admit it requires you to have some FANCY ingredients hanging around.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with sweet potato fries (except that they give me an earworm, as my other half sings 'Sweeet potatoooo friesss' to the tune of 'Sweet Caroline' everytime we eat them). Coating them in salt, pepper, paprika and a bit of semolina/polenta for crunch is nice too.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Aw bless Ed. Possibly best not to show him the placenta then. But reassure him you and baby don't share blood, you have completely separate blood systems. Ouch at the colostrum harvesting Ed style though 😬😬
Omg do we not share blood?! That’s my fault for being an idiot then! I had an antenatal class where they spoke about that p injection in your thigh and said that it crosses over to baby that’s why they don’t like doing it late in so I assumed it was all the same stuff!

Eek @heretoreaditall2019 i felt a bit faint reading your last bit 😂

spoiler as I don’t want to risk putting people off lol
yeah nobody ever thinks of the head size- mine were 6lb odd and 9lb odd but both of them had heads up near the 100th centile line
100th centile 😂 You poor thing!

veggie burgers look fun, thank you! I’ve grown weary of Linda McCartney. Does anyone remember how bad her stuff used to be? It was always very greasy and bread-y? In the 90s I remember fearing it!

Reactions: 8
I love sweet potato. In Nigella Express, she sprinkles cinnamon on them before roasting and it really works.

For lunch I’m eating about 20 mini sausage rolls and I’m taking the eldest for a McFlurry after his last day at primary school today. So clearly nutrition is low on the list today.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Omg do we not share blood?! That’s my fault for being an idiot then! I had an antenatal class where they spoke about that p injection in your thigh and said that it crosses over to baby that’s why they don’t like doing it late in so I assumed it was all the same stuff!

omg 100th centile 😂 You poor thing!

omg veggie burgers look fun, thank you! I’ve grown weary of Linda McCartney. Does anyone remember how bad her stuff used to be? It was always very greasy and bread-y? In the 90s I remember fearing it!
Pethidine?
You and baby have separate blood systems but the placenta transfers nutrients, oxygen and removes waste between the two systems. Some things are small enough to pass through the placenta membrane Inc drugs so that's why pethidine would effect baby too. I'm a bit of a placenta geek, always fascinated by them (midwife not weirdo 😂)

You're not an idiot, when I had my first before I was a mw I was shocked when the mw told me I had to birth my placenta. I thought it came out with the baby, a bit like a backpack 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Pethidine?
You and baby have separate blood systems but the placenta transfers nutrients, oxygen and removes waste between the two systems. Some things are small enough to pass through the placenta membrane Inc drugs so that's why pethidine would effect baby too. I'm a bit of a placenta geek, always fascinated by them (midwife not weirdo 😂)

You're not an idiot, when I had my first before I was a mw I was shocked when the mw told me I had to birth my placenta. I thought it came out with the baby, a bit like a backpack 😆
Like a backpack made me HOOT.

Also, I am loving your username.

ETA: I feel like I should stop using HOOT on non-Jack Monroe threads. It makes me sound slightly deranged.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I love sweet potato. In Nigella Express, she sprinkles cinnamon on them before roasting and it really works.

For lunch I’m eating about 20 mini sausage rolls and I’m taking the eldest for a McFlurry after his last day at primary school today. So clearly nutrition is low on the list today.
Mine is too, had a quaver, spinach and mustard sandwich for lunch and I'm not ashamed

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.