Food & Drink

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm on my second day of low carb after falling off the wagon spectacularly during lockdown (to the tune of about 20lbs). This thread is torture!

(Chunky Peanut Butter KitKat, every time)

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'm on my second day of low carb after falling off the wagon spectacularly during lockdown (to the tune of about 20lbs). This thread is torture!

(Chunky Peanut Butter KitKat, every time)
I started buying regular KitKats and then dipping them in peanut butter. Haven’t had one in months.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Been Grunka-ing here whilst distracted by the babycat drama the last few days.

I love learning about regional dishes (especially the cake ones), and had to google Tottenham cake, it looks lush. I grew up in Sussex and we used to have Gypsy Tart at school which seems to be a really south-eastern thing. I've always wanted to try a Coventry God cake (which are basically mincemeat in puff pastry, the only things stopping me are geography and my own laziness to recreate at home tbh). I had Staffordshire oatcakes on holiday recently and really enjoyed them.

Do you have any nice local specialties/recommendations of nice cookbooks or blogs about regional delights? I live in the North East of England now, nobody's heard of Gypsy Tart here but they do have (Scottish, so sort of local) empire biscuits which I love. Do Greggs not have cheese scones everywhere? They're ok, not amazing, I used to get them when I worked in an office and microwave them so they were warm and cheesy, mmmmm....

1594747719785.png

• Wow
Reactions: 10

I love learning about regional dishes (especially the cake ones), and had to google Tottenham cake, it looks lush. I grew up in Sussex and we used to have Gypsy Tart at school which seems to be a really south-eastern thing. I've always wanted to try a Coventry God cake (which are basically mincemeat in puff pastry, the only things stopping me are geography and my own laziness to recreate at home tbh). I had Staffordshire oatcakes on holiday recently and really enjoyed them.

Do you have any nice local specialties/recommendations of nice cookbooks or blogs about regional delights? I live in the North East of England now, nobody's heard of Gypsy Tart here but they do have (Scottish, so sort of local) empire biscuits which I love. Do Greggs not have cheese scones everywhere? They're ok, not amazing, I used to get them when I worked in an office and microwave them so they were warm and cheesy, mmmmm....

View attachment 181662
I’m in the south west and we have Lardy cake here which is a greasy sugar thing of beauty. Not sure if it’s a regional thing or not but I haven’t seen it in a lot of bakeries.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I made a Walnut Tea loaf (Mary Berry) today. It is gorgeous, especially warm with butter. It’s not a traditional tea bread because you don’t soak the fruit.
There’s not much left😲

• Heart
I’ve been triangulated Fraus, first time ever I’ve been shown the ad for allplants on Insta. Big brother is watching....

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

View attachment 181662
I adore gypsy tart, it's one of my favourite sweet things 😍
It's a Kentish dessert 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve not tried Gypsy tart but it sounds delicious so I’ll have to give it a go.

I tried the new Chipotle, lime and coriander mayo from Sainsburys tonight and it is SO GOOD. Fellow coriander lovers must try it 😋

Reactions: 8
I made a Walnut Tea loaf (Mary Berry) today. It is gorgeous, especially warm with butter. It’s not a traditional tea bread because you don’t soak the fruit.
There’s not much left😲
I love tea loaf. I might make my other half (and me, by happy coincidence) some for the weekend.

What's everyone having/had for dinner? I've got some lamb marinading in yoghurt, garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin and coriander in the fridge, but have reached the point in the evening where I feel too lazy to get up and cook it. Already fed the teen an avocado, bacon and tomato wrap, so it's only me to feed and I am not sure I can be bothered. I normally absolutely love food and cooking, but I feel like I have just had enough of producing food everyday atm.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I had one fish finger bap with fresh tomato, chilli jam and mayo sauce for brunch. Then for dinner I had a fried egg cooked with onions bap and the same Chilli and mayo sauce. I’m tired of cooking. 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just ordered a Chinese 🥳 ribs, and beef in black bean sauce. Cannot be bothered to cook today at all...
God, I want a Chinese takeaway soo bad. But they are all terrible around here, and I know I will be disappointed. Plus I order enough to last a week and feel like I need to pretend there is a party in my house when the delivery driver arrives.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I had a prawn stir fry but I’m also craving a Chinese takeaway. There’s only one decent one by me and they haven’t been open in a while.

Reactions: 7
I love tea loaf. I might make my other half (and me, by happy coincidence) some for the weekend.

What's everyone having/had for dinner? I've got some lamb marinading in yoghurt, garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin and coriander in the fridge, but have reached the point in the evening where I feel too lazy to get up and cook it. Already fed the teen an avocado, bacon and tomato wrap, so it's only me to feed and I am not sure I can be bothered. I normally absolutely love food and cooking, but I feel like I have just had enough of producing food everyday atm.
I made a squash and spinach dal curry, and homemade naan breads 😋

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.