Food & Drink #8 I like ALL the things

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just seen this post. The school should be giving extra help if he has problems with fine motor skills and speech problems. You could request he goes onto the Special Needs register, it’s not scary, usually means working in a small group for literacy skills.
This all came to a head on Friday when the boys mum called my son a bully (🤯🤐), so ive sent in a note for his teacher today. With all this covid stuff, we cant meet face to face 🙃🙃🙃

He was being seen by the inclusion officer, who is actually bleeping tit at her job, his reception teacher kept chasing her. Hes done all the standard speech therapy groups but I think he needs something consistent. Gold dust in the current climate! I'm going to schedule a meeting with the inclusion woman, and see what can be offered. Hes a bright boy, I dont want him to fall behind if he can be helped. He is a summer baby! Both of my boys are, so i should get used to this 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 14
with fussy eating/texture issues apparently being a factor;
This has really interested me as my eldest had quite a lot of support as a Toddler/pre schooler from SALT regarding texture issues and his inability to deal with any changes to routine (visual timetables and stuff) and he has always struggled massively with his handwriting and it’s still often illegible and he’s a teen now. I might be latching on to things that aren’t there for him but I wonder if it’s related to those issues he had as a younger child. Teachers were no help at all tbh, just critical which would wind me up as it’d really get him down (especially when ‘pen licenses’ became an issue and so competitive in class). He eventually got his pen license as he started pressing so lightly on the page no one could read his pencil marks so gave in and gave him a pen!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
This all came to a head on Friday when the boys mum called my son a bully (🤯🤐), so ive sent in a note for his teacher today. With all this covid stuff, we cant meet face to face 🙃🙃🙃

He was being seen by the inclusion officer, who is actually bleeping tit at her job, his reception teacher kept chasing her. Hes done all the standard speech therapy groups but I think he needs something consistent. Gold dust in the current climate! I'm going to schedule a meeting with the inclusion woman, and see what can be offered. Hes a bright boy, I dont want him to fall behind if he can be helped. He is a summer baby! Both of my boys are, so i should get used to this 😂
My son suffered from a rubbish SENCO/Inclusion woman in high school. He has a diagnosis of dyspraxia and dyslexia (went on to get an Asperger’s diagnosis). Things only started to improve when I stopped being “nice”. It took me insisting on agreed minutes of meetings and actions to be taken and a time scale.
I’m not saying you should wade in, but unfortunately the parents who push are the ones who get the help.
I hope you get some results. DM me if you want more help.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I agree, I think my daughter only really starting having true friendships from about year 4 onwards - playdates used to be a real pain because it would be my job to keep them entertained. My daughter was also a very...intense...5 year old and is now the most chilled out kid you will ever meet. I used to worry all the time about her being the left out one when she was younger but then you realise that all parents worry about that!

Also @Begborrowsteal I bet your 5 year old is super cute, the cheekiest ones always are!
Babe, same. She was so dependant on me for play and had some real shyness issues now she’s just incredibly laid back and makes friends easily I barely see her any more she’s just chilling

• Heart
The Up opener still finishes me every time. As soon as they start gazing at the clouds, I’m in tears
On a positive but slightly 🔺️note, Mrs ST was once asked by a friend to describe me & apparently I'm a "dead ringer of the old man from Up!"
Upon meeting said friend, the first thing out of her mouth was
"Oh my God..you're actually making me feel sad "🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
My son suffered from a rubbish SENCO/Inclusion woman in high school. He has a diagnosis of dyspraxia and dyslexia (went on to get an Asperger’s diagnosis). Things only started to improve when I stopped being “nice”. It took me insisting on agreed minutes of meetings and actions to be taken and a time scale.
I’m not saying you should wade in, but unfortunately the parents who push are the ones who get the help.
I hope you get some results. DM me if you want more help.
I thought it may be the case. As always, its a fight! Thank you ❤❤

This has really interested me as my eldest had quite a lot of support as a Toddler/pre schooler from SALT regarding texture issues and his inability to deal with any changes to routine (visual timetables and stuff) and he has always struggled massively with his handwriting and it’s still often illegible and he’s a teen now. I might be latching on to things that aren’t there for him but I wonder if it’s related to those issues he had as a younger child. Teachers were no help at all tbh, just critical which would wind me up as it’d really get him down (especially when ‘pen licenses’ became an issue and so competitive in class). He eventually got his pen license as he started pressing so lightly on the page no one could read his pencil marks so gave in and gave him a pen!
You never forget how hard those times are. No one takes me seriously about his fussy eating because he looks so healthy, but thats only because he will fill up on his 'approved' foods. You start putting things together, and there should be things to explore!

• Heart
I am late to the film induced weeping discussion but anyway - when I was about 5 years old there was a big assembly at school for some reason and they put on Bambi and I had to be removed from the hall in front of everyone because I was in so much distress, it's scarred me for life. The most recent film I wept at was The Florida Project, I thank god I didn't go to the cinema to see it because it would have been the P2 Bambi incident all over again.
You have just taken me back to when I was a similar age when the school decided it was a good idea to show us Ring of Bright Water. A film about a man and his pet otter. Full of delightful scenes of the otter having fun and getting into charming scrapes until is the last few minutes......

the otter gets its head smashed in by a farmer with a shovel, traumatized me for years

• Wow
  • Sad
Babe, same. She was so dependant on me for play and had some real shyness issues now she’s just incredibly laid back and makes friends easily I barely see her any more she’s just chilling
Can you fraus offer some advice on young girls friendships? My daughter has just started year 3. Her best friend told her today that she is only her third best friend and she is upset. I am aware as an adult how ridiculous this sounds but my daughter loves this girl and the feelings are possibly less reciprocated. What do I advise her?!
I go between wanting to tell her to play with other children, to wanting to say it doesn’t matter to wanting to just downplay it cos she’s 7 and it’s probably nothing?!

ETA - she is a BIT upset but not a lot today. In the past this girl has said things like this and then left her out of the friendship group which she has found very upsetting and disruptive

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Its just so lovely when they come into their own isn't it! Literally nothing makes me happier than watching/hearing her having fun with her friends even if half the time they are just screaming and laughing hysterically about weird memes.

Can you fraus offer some advice on young girls friendships? My daughter has just started year 3. Her best friend told her today that she is only her third best friend and she is upset. I am aware as an adult how ridiculous this sounds but my daughter loves this girl and the feelings are possibly less reciprocated. What do I advise her?!
I go between wanting to tell her to play with other children, to wanting to say it doesn’t matter to wanting to just downplay it cos she’s 7 and it’s probably nothing?!
This is such a tricky one! I am certainly no authority on the matter and don't really know what the right response is other than to say that girls in school do this stuff all the time and 'number one best friend' changes constantly, your daughter might be saying the same back to her in a few months! When my daughter has friendship issues like this I usually say that I remember how tough friendships are at that age but promising it'll pass and get easier...they usually seem to resolve themselves pretty quickly and I think letting kids resolve friendship issues is one of the most important things you learn at their age at school. Bless her though, its so hard to know what to say!

I had one mum once approach me to ask me to to tell my daughter to stop asking to play with hers because her daughter was *too* popular and it was stressing her out :rolleyes:. I said I would do absolutely no such thing and that they needed to sort it out between themselves!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Its just so lovely when they come into their own isn't it! Literally nothing makes me happier than watching/hearing her having fun with her friends even if half the time they are just screaming and laughing hysterically about weird memes.

This is such a tricky one! I am certainly no authority on the matter and don't really know what the right response is other than to say that girls in school do this stuff all the time and 'number one best friend' changes constantly, your daughter might be saying the same back to her in a few months! When my daughter has friendship issues like this I usually say that I remember how tough friendships are at that age but promising it'll pass and get easier...they usually seem to resolve themselves pretty quickly and I think letting kids resolve friendship issues is one of the most important things you learn at their age at school. Bless her though, its so hard to know what to say!

I had one mum once approach me to ask me to to tell my daughter to stop wanting to play with hers because her daughter was *too* popular and it was stressing her out :rolleyes:. I said I would do absolutely no such thing and that they needed to sort it out between themselves!
This is so helpful, thank you! I do feel like I don’t want to get involved....unlike that mum you mentioned...wow lol I think you’re right it’s very changeable and as long as she’s mostly happy which she is, I think I will say something along the lines of your suggestion.
None of this friendship stuff is helped by the fact that I’ve never really ‘done’ friendships myself, I have always been quite a loner and never really had more than one friend at a time!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I had the delicious Longley cottage cheese rolled up in a wrap with bitter salad leaves and a large glass of gazpacho.

• Heart
Fraus, just got a request to be on Australian national radio! Steeling myself up to accept - I've never done anything like this before, so I'm getting visions of me blurting out a 'thanks very Matt much, Matt' or HOOTING maniacally. Actually, it's not a bad idea to go and watch some JM - *nobody* could be as bad as her, surely :ROFLMAO:
Aah congratulations @crystaleyesd.

• Heart

ETA - she is a BIT upset but not a lot today. In the past this girl has said things like this and then left her out of the friendship group which she has found very upsetting and disruptive
It’s really hard isn’t it, they’re so hot and cold but obsessively so. I wasn’t much good at dealing with it I did just tell her to play with other friends if someone was saying something upsetting. She would say things like ‘x did this to me today’ then roll her eyes and I think it’s just really hard to see them upset. I think the try not to make a big deal out of it is the best because if you do they attach your emotions to it and think it is a Really Bad Thing. Distract; smoke and mirrors, this too shall pass x

I had one mum once approach me to ask me to to tell my daughter to stop asking to play with hers because her daughter was *too* popular and it was stressing her out :rolleyes:. I said I would do absolutely no such thing and that they needed to sort it out between themselves!
Just read back and saw you said basically the same thing, phew! Yes it is so lovely to see them grow more confident in themselves and it does happen eventually Fraus. Mine says some things that just make me belly laugh and I love it because I can tell she is the one among her friends who makes people laugh and I think that’s a great skill as someone said before

This is so helpful, thank you! I do feel like I don’t want to get involved....unlike that mum you mentioned...wow lol I think you’re right it’s very changeable and as long as she’s mostly happy which she is, I think I will say something along the lines of your suggestion.
None of this friendship stuff is helped by the fact that I’ve never really ‘done’ friendships myself, I have always been quite a loner and never really had more than one friend at a time!
the worst thing is parents getting involved in minor friendship issues they need to learn to work these small things out. I am the same although I do recall often being one of three in school and feeling the other two were the proper best friends, wtf is all that about lol but I think it’s common. Mine now much prefers her alone time it’s such a relief haha

• Heart
this is the new show, not the make do at home lockdown job apparently
I watched a bit of it as I wanted to see the dog training segment. I didn’t understand the ‘audience’ participants at all. Found what i saw of it, from about 6 minutes in, for about an hour, very clunky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I watched a bit of it as I wanted to see the dog training segment. I didn’t understand the ‘audience’ participants at all. Found what i saw if it, from about 6 minutes in, for about an hour, very clunky.
I felt it was like people trying to act out This Morning. Clunky is a good word for it. Shame as I like her usually.

Reactions: 4
It’s really hard isn’t it, they’re so hot and cold but obsessively so. I wasn’t much good at dealing with it I did just tell her to play with other friends if someone was saying something upsetting. She would say things like ‘x did this to me today’ then roll her eyes and I think it’s just really hard to see them upset. I think the try not to make a big deal out of it is the best because if you do they attach your emotions to it and think it is a Really Bad Thing. Distract; smoke and mirrors, this too shall pass x

Just read back and saw you said basically the same thing, phew! Yes it is so lovely to see them grow more confident in themselves and it does happen eventually Fraus. Mine says some things that just make me belly laugh and I love it because I can tell she is the one among her friends who makes people laugh and I think that’s a great skill as someone said before

the worst thing is parents getting involved in minor friendship issues they need to learn to work these small things out. I am the same although I do recall often being one of three in school and feeling the other two were the proper best friends, wtf is all that about lol but I think it’s common. Mine now much prefers her alone time it’s such a relief haha
cannot tell you what a relief it is to hear all this! Thanks for your replies x

• Heart
Reactions: 12
My son told me that one boy didnt want to sit with him at lunch, got up and moved further away 😭😭😭 oh man. I am not going to cope with this school stuff 😂

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.