Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Babe same. Who in the world has time to peel ginger?
Peeling ginger is a lot quicker when using a teaspoon, one of the best little kitchen tricks I ever learnt! Still often use paste though as I'm a lazy mare and cba to grate the blimming stuff 😂

Reactions: 9
@Pocahontas missing you on this thread. Hope you’re not trapped in a fish restaurant with the in-laws and an aggressive school receptionist.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I freeze ginger and grate it straight from frozen. If you have a microplane, it just takes the skin off anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
One of my good friends leaves the UK to go back to Turkey tomorrow so I made a quasi Turkish feast to celebrate. And then a strawberry cheesecake. It was good and I am sad that she's going. We're taking her to the airport in the morning but I hope we can go visit once this pesky pandemic is over.

Please excuse my utterly tit plates - I have accumulated all my mum's cast offs in the years since my undergrad.

It's finally cool enough to lie next to me fella in bed without melting. Yay.

IMG-20200813-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20200813-WA0017.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
I like a microplane, but I would put in a word for any supermarket’s frozen fresh chopped garlic, ginger, chillies. Saves that vinegary jar taste.

Reactions: 11
I like a microplane, but I would put in a word for any supermarket’s frozen fresh chopped garlic, ginger, chillies. Saves that vinegary jar taste.
Babe same. I think the Waitrose one is particularly good (though expensive). Lots of Asian supermarkets do a much cheaper version with handy tsp sized lumps of garlic and ginger. I find there's something a bit funny about the taste of the jarred ones, though have used in the past for curries and highly flavoured things. Where the ginger/garlic is a star though I prefer the fresh taste. Am very glad to have found my people in terms of it being a hated kitchen job though.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Babe same. I think the Waitrose one is particularly good (though expensive). Lots of Asian supermarkets do a much cheaper version with handy tsp sized lumps of garlic and ginger. I find there's something a bit funny about the taste of the jarred ones, though have used in the past for curries and highly flavoured things. Where the ginger/garlic is a star though I prefer the fresh taste. Am very glad to have found my people in terms of it being a hated kitchen job though.
Ah so reassuring to hear it isn't just me !

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
One of my good friends leaves the UK to go back to Turkey tomorrow so I made a quasi Turkish feast to celebrate. And then a strawberry cheesecake. It was good and I am sad that she's going. We're taking her to the airport in the morning but I hope we can go visit once this pesky pandemic is over.

Please excuse my utterly tit plates - I have accumulated all my mum's cast offs in the years since my undergrad.

It's finally cool enough to lie next to me fella in bed without melting. Yay.

View attachment 211133View attachment 211134
That food is wonderful and I really do like the plates.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@Flumps how are you doing? Hope you’re feeling ok ❤
Bless you. I am ok, just tired of hurting. I think I'd like some way of sitting outside of my body for a while, maybe a brain in a jar sort of arrangement, just for a bit, but it is so much cooler now and that helps me not to be so grumpy about everything. I am definitely not like Cousin Helen (mildly obscure reference there) when it comes to being something of an invalid. Thank you for thinking of me. It's made me feel quite emotional, in a good way. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Babe same squared. I collect the Waitrose options like they’re Pogs.

(So much easier for quick cooking and I think better quality than the non-frozen fresh which I don’t think last we’ll)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Bless you. I am ok, just tired of hurting. I think I'd like some way of sitting outside of my body for a while, maybe a brain in a jar sort of arrangement, just for a bit, but it is so much cooler now and that helps me not to be so grumpy about everything. I am definitely not like Cousin Helen (mildly obscure reference there) when it comes to being something of an invalid. Thank you for thinking of me. It's made me feel quite emotional, in a good way. ❤
Of course. So sorry if this sounds presumptive, but in my late night grunkas it’s evident to me that your posts are a little less full of the Flumps lustre than usual, but I am really happy to see you still posting ❤

It makes me sad to think of you in pain. I’m not surprised the heat affects your joints (?) so badly. Stifling heat like that can really exacerbate the pain, I’ve heard (a friend of mine has lupus). Glad it’s cooler where you are now!

Cousin Helen ... What Katy Did? X

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Of course. So sorry if this sounds presumptive, but in my late night grunkas it’s evident to me that your posts are a little less full of the Flumps lustre than usual, but I am really happy to see you still posting ❤

It makes me sad to think of you in pain. I’m not surprised the heat affects your joints (?) so badly. Stifling heat like that can really exacerbate the pain, I’ve heard (a friend of mine has lupus). Glad it’s cooler where you are now!

Cousin Helen ... What Katy Did? X
This chronic pain thing is all new to me, so I'm still learning what sets it off, but heat appears to be definitely a *thing*. Though it's partly on me, I am reading about all sorts of things I should do to help alleviate it, but they either seem dull or miserable and I am not jumping on them like I should.

Yes! Lovely Cousin Helen. My daughter was very nearly a Katy because I love that book so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My daughter was very nearly a Katy because I love that book so much
i wanted Katy too, but then I had mine right by the Royal Wedding and didn’t want people to think I’d named it after Kate Middleton. And husband wouldn’t let me use Clover as he said it was a cows name. Then the baby was a boy anyway.

ps. What Katy did at school is my favouritest, I want to be Rose Red!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
I like the plates too! They’re kitsch!
I've been trying to explain to my boyfriend what defines kitsch since we first met 7 years ago and he STILL doesn't get it! Always pointing at random things and asking me 'is that kitsch?'. No, babe.

Also breakfast: just black coffee for me. My daughter and her friend woke up at 9am (after staying up half the night high on marshmallows) and I made them each a stack of pancakes - I just want to be remembered as the mum who made pancakes for breakfast at sleepovers!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Sending you my love @Flumps and I love the Cousin Helen quote. The What Katy Did books are some of my childhood favourites.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.